• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT Tottenham Hotspur v sunlun***

He wasn't great tonight. Against Wickham I don't think he was any worse than most. Tonight he was frustrating because he was getting into good positions but not using them. With time and confidence, he will start to use the ball better. We've seen he can.

personally i think he generally always plays the same, just sometimes he pops up with a goal and makes you forget everything else which happens - unless he improves his overall game i cant see him being anymore than an impact player for us

Passing tempo being important to break down teams that sit back doesn't make sense to you?
It needs other players to be on their game though. Winks hasn't shown me that he can dictate the tempo of the team on his own yet. If the solution was that easy I am sure Poch would have seen it.

I don't think the mind works that way, pressure always tells in sport. Every snooker club in the country has a player that can make 100 breaks. If there was no more pressure in one game than another, they could go on the telly and beat Ronnie O'Sullivan, but it doesn't work that way.

See Arsenal tonight, they'd have known Chelsea have a tough away fixture whilst they have a winnable home game (haha Watford) and the chance to beat Chelsea in the game after. They could smell it, getting back into the mix. And they choked, as they have done for years and years now.

We are very similar to them, but we have a younger team and less money, so more of an excuse.

Everyone plays everyone else twice. But pressure and momentum count for a lot in sport, football is no different imo.

I think players prepared correctly mentally are above that, they shouldn't even know who other clubs are playing on each match day

Also, in hindsight, I wonder if we should have gone 343 again? Alli and Eriksen looked much better. I know there was the City game, but against lesser sides recently, Southampton, Watford, WBA, we crushed them and created a lot of chances.

I would have kept Son on. At least he is a goal threat. Also Winks should have been on at some point. We were very slow in the final third, granted Sunderland just didn't come out but that should be an advantage for us. They are giving up territory, and we should be swarming all over them. Dont know why we were hesitant tonight.

Got tbh think thats a tad harsh, bearing in mind we are only 1pt ahead of Liverpool, still having to go there. They only have 15 games left, whereas( we wont), but, potentially we could have 29.
Not saying they will finish above us, but they have a big advantage on that score and its not like we are 5,6 or 7 pts clear of the teams around us

we're way better than them, if they finish within 10 points of us they should give klopp the freedom of the city, but they won't, because he's a fudging chancer too

Also, in hindsight, I wonder if we should have gone 343 again? Alli and Eriksen looked much better. I know there was the City game, but against lesser sides recently, Southampton, Watford, WBA, we crushed them and created a lot of chances.

I was surprised we didn't, but then, a back 3 against defoe was probably overkill, moyes always loads the centre

Missed the game but reading the match reports, seems Sunderland went with a 3-5-2? Extremely frustrating then that we would go back to our 4231, which just does not work against teams that like to use a 352 against us to defend.

Our 4231 is all about attacking the space in the centre, making combinations while the full backs get outside. But the whole philosophy is around attacking the centre. Playing against 3 centre backs crowds out Kane and doesn't provide any space for any runners.

Think Poch ballsed this one. We've never played well using a 4231 against 3 centre backs, never. West Ham away last year. Everton away this. It just doesn't work, it nullifies our whole plan.

Really disappointing as I thought we were moving towards true flexibility to counter any of these situations. As soon as Poch noticed this he should have changed it. Either Wanyama drops in or certainly at the start of the second half we bring Janssen on much earlier to start occupying their defence.

Real shame. For someone that has been getting plaudits for being so decisive and adaptable, I'm surprised he's retreated into his safety net. Maybe I'm totally wrong, but I honestly think our most blunt attacking performances under Poch have come playing his 4231 against 3 centre backs? Unless someone can correct me?

if the players were under any more pressure tonight than they were back in august that's a failure of management, you play the league in installments, no one game has any more importance than the other 37

i'd be amazed, and extremely disappointed, if Poch had put extra emphasis on today's game
I felt we were showing signs of desperation, not seen us lump the ball forwards aimlessly so often under Poch.
Walker was warned by ref about stealing yards yet in his zeal repeated the offence. Eriksen had opportunities to get Davies and Sissoko round the outside yet went to thread a ball through tiny gaps between their 3 CBs.
I agree in terms of points this game is the same as another one at any time, but our players would have known Chelsea and/or Pool would drop points, and that is the source of the pressure. It was our opportunity to close the gap.

He wasn't great tonight. Against Wickham I don't think he was any worse than most. Tonight he was frustrating because he was getting into good positions but not using them. With time and confidence, he will start to use the ball better. We've seen he can.

Oh no, he wasn't *bad* against Wycombe, and he held his own tonight - but you're right in pointing out that he was frustrating throughout. My point was more that he'd already played the full 90 against Wycombe on the weekend, so he likely wouldn't have been effective enough to really change the game in the last minute or anything - especially given that he was already flagging when he went off.

Missed the game but reading the match reports, seems Sunderland went with a 3-5-2? Extremely frustrating then that we would go back to our 4231, which just does not work against teams that like to use a 352 against us to defend.

Our 4231 is all about attacking the space in the centre, making combinations while the full backs get outside. But the whole philosophy is around attacking the centre. Playing against 3 centre backs crowds out Kane and doesn't provide any space for any runners.

Think Poch ballsed this one. We've never played well using a 4231 against 3 centre backs, never. West Ham away last year. Everton away this. It just doesn't work, it nullifies our whole plan.

Really disappointing as I thought we were moving towards true flexibility to counter any of these situations. As soon as Poch noticed this he should have changed it. Either Wanyama drops in or certainly at the start of the second half we bring Janssen on much earlier to start occupying their defence.

Real shame. For someone that has been getting plaudits for being so decisive and adaptable, I'm surprised he's retreated into his safety net. Maybe I'm totally wrong, but I honestly think our most blunt attacking performances under Poch have come playing his 4231 against 3 centre backs? Unless someone can correct me?
I was surprised we didn't, but then, a back 3 against defoe was probably overkill, moyes always loads the centre

It's less about guarding Defoe and more about providing angles that can prise them apart. I think going like for like would have gave them more problems. The wing backs would have started higher and been harder to track, and Wimmer and Dier/Wanyama would be stepping up into midfield to provide more angles to release Dembele, Eriksen and Alli.

I felt we were showing signs of desperation, not seen us lump the ball forwards aimlessly so often under Poch.
Walker was warned by ref about stealing yards yet in his zeal repeated the offence. Eriksen had opportunities to get Davies and Sissoko round the outside yet went to thread a ball through tiny gaps between their 3 CBs.
I agree in terms of points this game is the same as another one at any time, but our players would have known Chelsea and/or Pool would drop points, and that is the source of the pressure. It was our opportunity to close the gap.

Maybe Lloris not being there had something to do with this?

personally i think he generally always plays the same, just sometimes he pops up with a goal and makes you forget everything else which happens - unless he improves his overall game i cant see him being anymore than an impact player for us
You talking about Alli or Son?

I feel thats just the standard spurs malaise, rather than any insidious form of bottling, tonights performance was no different to what we put out earlier in the season, and it was a million miles away from the dross we delivered against city, we had the distraction of the fudging fa cup last week and I think tonight was just us getting back in the swing of it on a terrible pitch with an awful ref

that isn't the worst performance of the season and to isolate it against tonights other results puts unwarranted importance on a small data set

i'll be watching that ref with interest from now on to see if he is always so militant with throw ins or of he's just part of the anti spurs conspiracy in the fa

They might not know what's going on during the game, but they know that Chelsea have games against Liverpool and Arsenal, and are more likely to drop points than if they were playing two poor teams. I just don't think our players can handle this situation, like I just said in another post, we are at the level of Arsenal but with less money. We look good in most games, but when it comes down to it we fall short. My own fault for over-rating our team, but a poor performance (and we have had two in a row in the league) can give a bit of perspective I suppose. The same thing played out last season.

My thoughts exactly. Us and Arsenal are remarkably similar in many ways.

I never thought we could win the title but I think tonight confirmed it's gone as I have said many times I believe we had to cut the gap to 3-6 points BEFORE the Europa kicks off again because we will go back to playing on Sundays, after our rivals with the pressure of them being 9-12 points clear. We just can't make up that kind of gap.

I'd be over the frickin moon with 2nd place. I don't believe we can do it, but we have got to finish above Arsenal at some point, it's embarrassing how many years they have been above us. Everton have managed to finish above Liverpool in the same time frame despite having a fraction of their resources. Yes I know it shouldn't be our sole aim and I'm not saying it is but it's a huge fudging monkey that we need to get off our backs. Any Spurs fan who claims it isn't important finishing above them, I don't know what to say in response.

Roll on Saturday and the FA Cup against Fulham in a few weeks, Id be OK with us mugging off the EL if it meant we can go further in the FA Cup and consolidate our position in the top 3.

Sissoko has made some game changing contributions this season. I just think today I forward players just had an off day. Can't put my finger on why.

Game changing????

He has had some assists be contributed in some games but hasn't IMO made a difference against a team set up not to attack

He is a option against teams that have a go but this guy is not about guile and craft which we were in dire need of

Back