• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Sporting CP ***

By the way, awesome to see Edwards score a stunner. He deserved it. I'll never understand why Poch used Clinton Njie and ????? over Edwards as impact subs. Was clearly some politics with the youth coaches pushing back on Edwards attitude. He should have at least got some regular sub appearances, even then he was vastly more talented than the french wingers we had. Happy Edwards is forging a career despite not getting a chance with us.

By the way, awesome to see Edwards score a stunner. He deserved it. I'll never understand why Poch used Clinton Njie and ????? over Edwards as an impact sub. Was clearly some politics with the youth coaches pushing back on Edwards attitude. He should have at least got some regular sub appearances.Happy he's forging a career despite not getting a chance with us.

stunner, or too much time and a badly guarded goal?

I just wish that they would change the rules so you are onside as long as any part of your body is onside. Many people proposed this as far back as the first mm zoom in/lines were drawn when Son had that goal ruled out at Leicester. Strictly by the existing rules they are right to go by a mm of a knee cap or toe nail but because it was left to the naked eye before var the linesman would only really be able to tell if there was daylight between the players. And no one complained about this way of doing things or called for zooming in so we can check the mm of a hair on a knee cap. So var has exposed the nonsensical nature of the offside rule when technology seeks to enforce it. So the law needs to change so it fits in with how we all understood and accepted the offside law to be i.e. you are onside if any part of your body is onside. That is more than sufficient anyway to remove any meaningful unfair advantage an attacker might seek to gain.

Wenger was a big advocate for this about 18 months ago and it sounded like it was going to happen and the law changed but its all gone quiet for about a year.

I know you will be one of those people that will say ‘yeah but there will still be contentious decisions when the lines will come out to see if any part of his body was actually onside’. Well I think those moments will be extremely rare (would like to see the data though of how often a review would have been needed for an incident like that since var came in) but when it does happen you will literally see a meaningful advantage being gained by the attacker by virtue of how far his body is ahead of the defender and no one can complain about that.

The law is fudged up and needs to change. It is just fine for the naked eye of a human but is massively exposed once tech gets involved.

Anyway I have been saying this since the Son incident 3 years ago and I doubt the clams will ever change it. That’s why I’m tinkled not necessarily because of last night but because it will continue to ruin and make a mockery of matches for years to come.
You put it far better than I did. 100% agree.

the sport was being ruined by officiating mistakes before VAR

it’s not good enough yet, but things are better than they were

I would much rather the referee make a mistake from one live viewing than a person watching 30 replays make the same mistake. The issue was never the referees and their mistakes, it was that the media and fans all expected perfection from them.

I believe they are told to not raise their flag until the passage of play finishes. In this instance it was with the ball hitting the net, so if he thought Kane or Royal were offside then he’d have raised his flag and VAR would then have done their check anyway as they do on all goals.

unless he made a mistake

I would much rather the referee make a mistake from one live viewing than a person watching 30 replays make the same mistake. The issue was never the referees and their mistakes, it was that the media and fans all expected perfection from them.

I’d rather the 30 replays in the hope of getting it right.

I do expect perfection, how is anything else acceptable with the money in the game?

unless he made a mistake
Mistake On the process? being in line with the play he probably thought it wasn’t offside, so didn’t raise his flag. The Lino’s done his job correctly, he’s kept his flag down because it doesn’t look offside. It’s up to VAR to then confirm or overturn that on field decision.

Nothing wrong with perfection but brick laws need to change.

I don’t think we’ll get perfection, but that has to be a target aggressively pursued.

That’s a great point, with VAR and simplified rules things would be better, technology and laws should meet in the middle.

I fudging hate VAR. It is a thief of joy and should be fudged off altogether or its use minimised way more than it is now.

That aside, if they measure to the margin of error for VAR to be say 15cm either way, for the sake of picking a number, the red and blue lines should be drawn as 30cm wide and if there is any overlap at all then the call should be made as onside as it is within the margin of error. Yes, I understand the drawing of the lines is a little arbitrary but this 1-2cm offside rulings are just a guess too really so let's err on the side of more goals.

Where's the ball? Also, has it left Royal yet, or has he not received it yet? With the technology they have, it's impossible to say. The margin of error is 75 cm! How can they justify making millimeter decisions with that margin of error?

It’s in line with the 6 yard box line - because it’s moving it’s a blurred oval shape.

I don’t think we’ll get perfection, but that has to be a target aggressively pursued.

That’s a great point, with VAR and simplified rules things would be better, technology and laws should meet in the middle.

That’s what I want but it wont happen sadly. I think they have abandoned Wenger’s proposal and are going with these automated offsides instead.

So same brick laws but the decision made presumably instantly.

Although I don't like the current law at least with automated the Kane goal would have been ruled out seconds after it went in and that would have helped the mood of all involved immeasurably.

Does anyone want to discuss the other 94 minutes of the match?:D

We were poor for a large portion of the game again, should have easily been at least 2 goals down before we equalised against a team sitting 4th in the Portuguese league and we have to whinge about not being allowed a 95th minute winner.

Yes were better in the second half for a good period, but fudge me these are average teams we are playing in the CL. Feels like Conte and the team are getting away with it a bit here.…

Back