• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Sporting CP ***

Spot on. The nitpicking centimeters is ruining it. Being 1cm offside gives you no real advantage.

It is and I’m not sure about the call last night because I’ve not really seen it back. What a fudging deflating feeling. For about a minute, the stadium was electric and then we were just left with an empty and frustrating feeling and the players left to boos rather than the applause their second half performance merited. Had the “goal” never happened, the atmosphere would have been more positive.

But…we’ve had the benefit of these calls in the past. Emirates Marketing Project and Sheffield United to name two.

we can't beat sporting lisbon might as well drop out now and focus on the league
let's accept that this team is simply not good enough
All players want to play in the champions league then turn out those sort of performances. What's the point.
Frankfurt, Marseille and Sporting sounds more like a Europa group than a champions league and we've not outplayed any on them.
It's embarrassing

It is and I’m not sure about the call last night because I’ve not really seen it back. What a fudging deflating feeling. For about a minute, the stadium was electric and then we were just left with an empty and frustrating feeling and the players left to boos rather than the applause their second half performance merited. Had the “goal” never happened, the atmosphere would have been more positive.

But…we’ve had the benefit of these calls in the past. Emirates Marketing Project and Sheffield United to name two.
If you trust the lines drawn by the VAR then he’s 1 mm ahead of the ball. However I don’t trust the lines drawn, or at what point of the action they decided to draw them, choosing the right frame is paramount. Also what happened to thicker lines, did that get canned?

we’ve fallen foul of plenty of these decisions as well like Son away to Leicester, Hugo the only keeper to be penalized for coming off his line for a pen, etc. It’s not like we’ve had loads of favourable decisions stacking up in our favour over the years and this is karma or something.

not having a pop at you, just still tinkled off!

Last edited:
If you trust the lines drawn by the VAR then he’s 1 mm ahead of the ball. However I don’t trust the lines drawn, or at what point of the action they decided to draw them, choosing the right frame is paramount. Also what happened to thicker lines, did that get canned?

we’ve fallen foul of plenty of these decisions as well like Son away to Leicester, Hugo the only keeper to be penalized for coming off his line for a pen, etc. It’s not like we’ve had loads of favourable decisions stacking up in our favour over the years and this is karma or something.

not having a pop at you, just still tinkled off!
You keep saying you don’t trust the lines drawn, so who are we meant to trust? You? They are the officials, they made the decision with the technology they have been trained to use at hand. You don’t agree with it, fine but really don’t see the point of you constantly whinging about it.

Literally every clubs fans claims they are done over worse than other clubs in regards to VAR or refereeing decisions - just get over it and move on. It’s really not worth getting so worked up about:D…..

You keep saying you don’t trust the lines drawn, so who are we meant to trust? You? They are the officials, they made the decision with the technology they have been trained to use at hand. You don’t agree with it, fine but really don’t see the point of you constantly whinging about it.

Literally every clubs fans claims they are done over worse than other clubs in regards to VAR or refereeing decisions - just get over it and move on. It’s really not worth getting so worked up about:D…..
I didn’t claim we were done over worse than other clubs, I was refuting the claim we were somehow favoured by it!

My issue going back to when VAR was brought in has always been at what point they draw the lines and where from, not just last night. If you’re happy to accept these sort of calls and not even question the process then that’s up to you isn’t it. No point getting wound up by people on message boards you don’t agree with, just ignore it and move on.

But if the offside is unclear which it was with a blurred ball then you have to defer to the original decision. Where do you take the ball line reading from? The ball isn't even shown as round so the 3 min decision makes a total mockery of var.

we don’t know what the original decision was, assistants are told to keep their flag down until the replay has been watched, he might have communicated offside to the ref instantly

I didn’t claim we were done over worse than other clubs, I was refuting the claim we were somehow favoured by it!

My issue going back to when VAR was brought in has always been at what point they draw the lines and where from, not just last night. If you’re happy to accept these sort of calls and not even question the process then that’s up to you isn’t it. No point getting wound up by people on message boards you don’t agree with, just ignore it and move on.
I’m not wound up at all, you’re the one saying you’re still tinkled off:D Fair enough you’re not happy at the process, but it’s not us that decides how offside is interpreted and if they have stuck to how it’s meant to be done then for me there’s no issue as it’s the same rules for both teams….

I was working and had a bad connection but the parts of the match I watched felt like we seemed to press that little bit higher and easier. We didn't seem so willing to just hunker into a shell and wait for them to miss.

Play seems largely positive from what I saw? The changes like bringing Gil on seemed to work really well. He brought energy and unpredictability to the attack from what I saw.

My thoughts are that we just seemed a little bit more active in defending the centre circle area and whilst Sporting always looked dangerous it seemed to help us also look more of a threat than I've seen in recent games.

Maybe I'm all wrong because I only saw patches. So let me know if I'm talking crackers. [emoji28]

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

I’m not wound up at all, you’re the one saying you’re still tinkled off:D Fair enough you’re not happy at the process, but it’s not us that decides how offside is interpreted and if they have stuck to how it’s meant to be done then for me there’s no issue as it’s the same rules for both teams….

So we just suck it up and accept it? It's ruining the sport we all love.

Apparently the VAR can freeze the frame at 50 frames-per-second. If you assume a player is moving quick enough to run the 100m in 20 seconds, doesn’t that mean they could be moving 10cm per frame? (10,000cm / 20 seconds / 50 frames)

I just wish that they would change the rules so you are onside as long as any part of your body is onside. Many people proposed this as far back as the first mm zoom in/lines were drawn when Son had that goal ruled out at Leicester. Strictly by the existing rules they are right to go by a mm of a knee cap or toe nail but because it was left to the naked eye before var the linesman would only really be able to tell if there was daylight between the players. And no one complained about this way of doing things or called for zooming in so we can check the mm of a hair on a knee cap. So var has exposed the nonsensical nature of the offside rule when technology seeks to enforce it. So the law needs to change so it fits in with how we all understood and accepted the offside law to be i.e. you are onside if any part of your body is onside. That is more than sufficient anyway to remove any meaningful unfair advantage an attacker might seek to gain.

Wenger was a big advocate for this about 18 months ago and it sounded like it was going to happen and the law changed but its all gone quiet for about a year.

I know you will be one of those people that will say ‘yeah but there will still be contentious decisions when the lines will come out to see if any part of his body was actually onside’. Well I think those moments will be extremely rare (would like to see the data though of how often a review would have been needed for an incident like that since var came in) but when it does happen you will literally see a meaningful advantage being gained by the attacker by virtue of how far his body is ahead of the defender and no one can complain about that.

The law is fudged up and needs to change. It is just fine for the naked eye of a human but is massively exposed once tech gets involved.

Anyway I have been saying this since the Son incident 3 years ago and I doubt the clams will ever change it. That’s why I’m tinkled not necessarily because of last night but because it will continue to ruin and make a mockery of matches for years to come.

we don’t know what the original decision was, assistants are told to keep their flag down until the replay has been watched, he might have communicated offside to the ref instantly

Highly unlikely. To see that offside with the naked eye looking along the line through Emerson, would be virtually impossible.

Apparently the VAR can freeze the frame at 50 frames-per-second. If you assume a player is moving quick enough to run the 100m in 20 seconds, doesn’t that mean they could be moving 10cm per frame? (10,000cm / 20 seconds / 50 frames)

Correct. Also, over 1-2m players can be moving faster than that too.

It’s the unmentioned flaw of VAR. To be accurate the lines should be allow for this to some degree.

Thankfully it wasn't the CL final this time. Same reffing team that gave the Sissoko hb in the final.

We lacked energy and confidence first half. We often give opposition teams the ball and let them build impetus. Second half we reversed that, and should have really tucked away a few. We did get the job done, only for VAR to faff about with millimeters and lines on blurry balls.

Back