• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Luton Town FC ***

Playing not to win is a terrible tactic, a draw can be a good result in certain games but approaching any game in a negative way demonstrates a lack of confidence in your players. Football teams rarely have the ability to flick a switch and change from playing defensively to free flowing attack.
That’s why teams that time waste struggle to switch too
If didn’t see the Arsenal game today but I’ve seen from the reports they offered nothing of note
With city missing so many players it was their chance to do something…

And if you adjust the tactics and not win… imo you fail
Unless it’s a two legged cup tie
if they win the league with that point then it’s a great move… it not, it’s a loss
Yes but you said (and I quote) ‘I haven’t seen those teams adjust their tactics for anyone’

Yet Arsenal clearly have. You’ve added the ‘not win’ bit later.

Yes but you said (and I quote) ‘I haven’t seen those teams adjust their tactics for anyone’

Yet Arsenal clearly have. You’ve added the ‘not win’ bit later.

Pep changes his tactics in Europe and loses
Arsenals changed their tactics today and didn’t win against a weakened city with arsenals fresh and fit first 11

So they changed their tactics and failed. It cost pep champions leagues and may well have cost Arsenal the title

What I should have added was I’ve never seen those teams change their formation and be successful from doing so.

And I didnt see the game today to comment.

Pep changes his tactics in Europe and loses
Arsenals changed their tactics today and didn’t win against a weakened city with arsenals fresh and fit first 11

So they changed their tactics and failed. It cost pep champions leagues and may well have cost Arsenal the title

What I should have added was I’ve never seen those teams change their formation and be successful from doing so.

And I didnt see the game today to comment.
Arsenal did the same and beat Emirates Marketing Project 1-0 at the Emirates earlier this season.

Arsenal did the same and beat Emirates Marketing Project 1-0 at the Emirates earlier this season.
They didn’t change tactics in that game IMO. They just couldn’t compete and got A lucky OG deflection
Worst sides have had better results vs city this season and playing City team missing as many as they were, I’d expect a full refreshed and in form team to have a go as normal and not change their tactics (we didn’t change and got a better result there with a weaker side).
But… if they win the league because of this one point then they were right to play this way.

They didn’t change tactics in that game IMO. They just couldn’t compete and got A lucky OG deflection
Worst sides have had better results vs city this season and playing City team missing as many as they were, I’d expect a full refreshed and in form team to have a go as normal and not change their tactics (we didn’t change and got a better result there with a weaker side).
But… if they win the league because of this one point then they were right to play this way.
They’ve taken 4 points this season against the best football team in the world, by being FAR less attacking and daring than they usually are.

I felt that we did change our tactics against Emirates Marketing Project somewhat in both the league and the cup game this season.

They’ve taken 4 points this season against the best football team in the world, by being FAR less attacking and daring than they usually are.

I felt that we did change our tactics against Emirates Marketing Project somewhat in both the league and the cup game this season.
Really? How did we change
We did have no defenders when we played them away
We take points off city frequently by not being scared
but In the cup we didn’t get the ball to play our game and were outplayed. That’s not necessarily changing tactics but hard to tell as we didn’t get much ball and were out worked and outplayed
Arsenal at home has as much ball vs city hence why to me it didn’t look like they played a different game. Today by all accounts they definitely did.

You’re not necessarily playing not to win, you’re playing not to lose and you can still win via a counterattack or set piece. Mourinho won many big games using such tactics. They can be terrible to watch but also terribly effective, especially when you have a big, physical team who can defend spaces well.

Your telling your players they're not good enough to beat their opponents, it's fine think a draw would be a good result in certain situations but playing for a draw is accepting you cant win. To my mind it brings all the negative elements to the game like time wasting, gamesmanship, faking injury, the sort of thing we condemn teams for against us.

Really? How did we change
We did have no defenders when we played them away
We take points off city frequently by not being scared
but In the cup we didn’t get the ball to play our game and were outplayed. That’s not necessarily changing tactics but hard to tell as we didn’t get much ball and were out worked and outplayed
Arsenal at home has as much ball vs city hence why to me it didn’t look like they played a different game. Today by all accounts they definitely did.

Arsenal 100% changed their style today, and also did so in the same fixture earlier in the season. Make no mistake, they’re legit. Can’t say they’re not a top team or they just had a one off year last season, they look more robust and can win games in a variety of ways, hence nicking so many goals from set pieces. Let’s just hope city and Liverpool get maximum points the rest of the season, except when they play us!

Arsenal 100% changed their style today, and also did so in the same fixture earlier in the season. Make no mistake, they’re legit. Can’t say they’re not a top team or they just had a one off year last season, they look more robust and can win games in a variety of ways, hence nicking so many goals from set pieces. Let’s just hope city and Liverpool get maximum points the rest of the season, except when they play us!
Your getting the wrong end of the stick

My comment wasn’t about them not being good. In fact it was that they at good enough to have a go at city
And if they changed their game vs city at home (the game I did watch), how did they end up with so many shots (12-4, the same possession roughly (49/51) and also t the same amount of passes (500/520). That a game of teams going toe to toe

Today was nothing like that from the stats and what I’ve read

And with arsenal in immaculate form and a fully fit quad, I’d expect them to have a go at a city side missing its key defensive players. But it could be a stroke of genius if this point gets them the title.

Your getting the wrong end of the stick

My comment wasn’t about them not being good. In fact it was that they at good enough to have a go at city
And if they changed their game vs city at home (the game I did watch), how did they end up with so many shots (12-4, the same possession roughly (49/51) and also t the same amount of passes (500/520). That a game of teams going toe to toe

Today was nothing like that from the stats and what I’ve read

And with arsenal in immaculate form and a fully fit quad, I’d expect them to have a go at a city side missing its key defensive players. But it could be a stroke of genius if this point gets them the title.

I’m not getting the wrong end of the stick, normally they would have 20+ shots on goal, especially at home. Both games were tight and edgy games where neither team really went for it. City were more adventurous today but even at the end they didn’t really throw everything forward considering they needed to win to go above Arsenal.

Late report from game

- Seems a few teams now move to 1:1 marking to counter our fluidity
- Luton got the early goal then never were really it it, lots of chances we didn't take
- Deki contributes but we struggle with his inconsistent (in game) contributions
- Maddison + Bissouma isn't working right now

Big takeaways
- Good to see Ange pull the HT sub and being willing to hook Deki
- Johnson will get the credit for changing the game (rightly)
- The other two subs made a difference as well (Lo Celso & Bentancur)
- Must be really frustrating for PEH, trusted to close a game, not to start.

For Tuesday

- Expect Micky back
- Be very tempted to start Lo Celso over Maddison

Late report from game

- Seems a few teams now move to 1:1 marking to counter our fluidity
- Luton got the early goal then never were really it it, lots of chances we didn't take
- Deki contributes but we struggle with his inconsistent (in game) contributions
- Maddison + Bissouma isn't working right now

Big takeaways
- Good to see Ange pull the HT sub and being willing to hook Deki
- Johnson will get the credit for changing the game (rightly)
- The other two subs made a difference as well (Lo Celso & Bentancur)
- Must be really frustrating for PEH, trusted to close a game, not to start.

For Tuesday

- Expect Micky back
- Be very tempted to start Lo Celso over Maddison
Lol Celso should probably start. Madison's form has been poor enough that it's probably someone else's turn. Be tancur is probably an option for the more attacking 8 as well, it will be interesting to see which way Ange goes.

Lol Celso should probably start. Madison's form has been poor enough that it's probably someone else's turn. Be tancur is probably an option for the more attacking 8 as well, it will be interesting to see which way Ange goes.
I’d start Bentacur over Bissouma

It was very nice to bring on Johnson, Lo Celso, Bentancur, Hojbjerg, Richarlison all with fresh legs to run Luton ragged for the last half hour. Decent bench that.

Massive difference, we actually have a bench that can change/influence games. That's what really cost us during that period where we had so many injuries

Back