• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Eintracht Frankfurt ***

Oh by the way, the ref in the CL game needs to be investigated.

Needed the var ref to right him after a series of poor calls and forgot about the first yellow, otherwise we would never have seen the second and red.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

Oh by the way, the ref in the CL game needs to be investigated.

Needed the var ref to right him after a series of poor calls and forgot about the first yellow, otherwise we would never have seen the second and red.

If that ref needs to be investigated the ref in the milan-chelsea game needs to be put on the rack

I’m normally optimistic (delusional!) but that performance worries me. We’re still highly reliant on last years core. Once Dier, Bentancur and PEH went off we were a mess.

We were a mess I agree...

But hopefully that was down to the mental side of things.... We were3-1 up against 10 men and it seemed as if it was game over...

It seemed the players came on thinking this will be easy and weren't ready for the fight.... Let's hope they ALL learn from that....

COYS

Were we a mess after the subs, but before the goal against?

My impression was that we were fine, but then they got a soft goal to make it 3-2 and then things got a bit chaotic as things get when a team goes from 2 to 1 behind late on.

My impression was that we were fine, but then they got a soft goal to make it 3-2 and then things got a bit chaotic as things get when a team goes from 2 to 1 behind late on.
It was really scrappy and they had the upper hand 10 minutes before the goal. We couldn't get the ball, despite them being a man down, and when we got it, we gave it away and did all the wrong decisions.

That’s how I saw it as well. We let our foot off the gas with the subs and it messed up our rhythm. We also did that thing where we aren’t interested in attacking but rather just knock the ball around (we are poor at that!). This led to us giving away a bit of impetus for the last 10/15 minutes, but we were still very comfortable in that period, too comfortable, they weren’t causing any problems.

after the goal it was embarrassing, chaotic and poor !

To me it was lack of ambition to kill the game off. I was so annoyed. Get the 4th and it really is done, but when we play endless keepball in our own third, and refuse to attack their final third, then there is always the possibility of the opposition getting a goal back. Royal had several chances to put the ball forward but chose the safe option of playing it back. Maybe he was following Conte's instructions to retain possession at all costs, but it made the game dull and the crowd lost interest.

To me it was lack of ambition to kill the game off. I was so annoyed. Get the 4th and it really is done, but when we play endless keepball in our own third, and refuse to attack their final third, then there is always the possibility of the opposition getting a goal back. Royal had several chances to put the ball forward but chose the safe option of playing it back. Maybe he was following Conte's instructions to retain possession at all costs, but it made the game dull and the crowd lost interest.
We did this away at West Ham as well and it cost us. It’s very noticeable to me, it’s like we just stop playing.

That’s how I saw it as well. We let our foot off the gas with the subs and it messed up our rhythm. We also did that thing where we aren’t interested in attacking but rather just knock the ball around (we are poor at that!). This led to us giving away a bit of impetus for the last 10/15 minutes, but we were still very comfortable in that period, too comfortable, they weren’t causing any problems.

after the goal it was embarrassing, chaotic and poor !

I think slowing things down two goals ahead against 10 men is fine. Save some energy, avoid counter attacks against.

But as always mistakes can get punished. That would be true if we played with higher intensity and more attacking intent too.

Many subs, they score, we didn't respond well, but we weren't that bad either imo. It's a difficult spot. Should learn from, but not a big concern.

I felt that after a strong first 10 mins of the second half we became somewhat passive and aimless. I can understand trying to conserve energy for the upcoming month. But we’re still not good enough at closing down a game. Obviously a 4th goal would’ve done that but so far this season we’ve frequently been wasteful in good attacking positions. Plus we’re not as watertight in defence as we’d want to be so there’s always a feeling that if a team ups the ante we’ll concede eventually.

I think in general we do go keep going for more goals and don’t seem content with a 1 or 2 goal lead. Completely different to the Jose days when we would attempt to shut up shop at 1-0 for it to backfire on us most times.

I agree. I think doing a bit of both with the current fixture list is a good thing.

Definitely when we got the 2-1 lead yesterday we didn't slow down at all the way I saw it. As you say big difference to the Mourinho days.

Reading many of the post on here its pleasing to see the ridiculous idea of making many changes to the team is being recognised for the folly that it is. This nearly always leads to the rhythm of play disappearing along with any cohesion, I believe 2 or 3 is the maximum that should be made dependant on the state of the game. The changes last night altered the mentality of the team.

I felt that after a strong first 10 mins of the second half we became somewhat passive and aimless. I can understand trying to conserve energy for the upcoming month. But we’re still not good enough at closing down a game. Obviously a 4th goal would’ve done that but so far this season we’ve frequently been wasteful in good attacking positions. Plus we’re not as watertight in defence as we’d want to be so there’s always a feeling that if a team ups the ante we’ll concede eventually.
Agree, aimless is a good description! Think we were very good for 15-20 minutes of the 2nd half though, but then the sending off did us no favours actually.

There was no collapse after the changes.

What happened was Emerson got complacent and miss controlled the ball and Lloris then followed suit by giving away a needless corner from which they scored.

It was only after that when a small degree of panic set in which would still have happened with the so called first choice players being on the pitch.

Yes, though its more likely than not we need to avoid defeat in Marseille in order to top the group. Not sure its in Conte's make-up to send a weakened team

You don’t think he will rotate in the league cup? Some players will be putting up stats showing they need a rest others will be nursing themselves along with knocks.

It is a confidence thing, again.

Dier messed up in the first half, but we were strong(er) mentally, and bounced back. Sess and Royal did several stupid/poor choices, but we coped without losing our heads, because we were confident. We're no-where near as strong mentally as in our best period under Pochettino, but we're getting there, slowly.
Second half, with Dier & Høibjerg off the pitch, and with Royal and others still doing stupid stuff, we crumbled almost immediately and the ripple effect of the shaky nerves were visible for all to see.

Conte needs to use the cups to build the confidence of the second/third string, if he wants to have any use of them at all. And by that I mean incorporate them into strong enough sides to give positive experiences, not like Nuno who sendt them as slaughter to the abattoir.

Press and play higher than you actually have the quality of pressing and possession to do. Get done on the break and when teams play through pressure. Fun games, entertaining.

Gets old rather quickly though as the games are "fun", but you end up not winning enough. Latter days Pochettino comes to mind as not a very good time and similar approach.

Very much prefer what Conte is doing with us given the squad we have.
If they had a higher calibre of player they would likely do even better than they are currently. Add a Kane or. Sob to their side while playing the same way and they suddenly look very, very serious.

The system they play and the way they implement it maximises the qualities of the players they do have. It's make them appear better than they really are. Quite like early Poch for us.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

There was no collapse after the changes.

What happened was Emerson got complacent and miss controlled the ball and Lloris then followed suit by giving away a needless corner from which they scored.

It was only after that when a small degree of panic set in which would still have happened with the so called first choice players being on the pitch.
It was a bad pass from Sanchez to Emerson to be fair. Too predictable and Emerson got closed down quickly.

Back