• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT - Tottenham Hotspur v Borussia Dortmund ***

Dortmund were really good, they looked like they had an extra man at times.

I think that was their suicidal tactics.

In practical terms, with such a high line and only two at the back, they did have extra men in forward areas.

Which overwhelmed us a lot - they had more attackers than we are used to and we clearly struggled to deal with it at times.

Then, of course, is the flip side of that where they leave themselves drastically exposed.

The comparisons to Liverpool are reasonable, if they score they can just over whelm you and run away with it, if they dont then they can easily conceed. They play on a knife edge.

I think that was their suicidal tactics.

In practical terms, with such a high line and only two at the back, they did have extra men in forward areas.

Which overwhelmed us a lot - they had more attackers than we are used to and we clearly struggled to deal with it at times.

Then, of course, is the flip side of that where they leave themselves drastically exposed.

The comparisons to Liverpool are reasonable, if they score they can just over whelm you and run away with it, if they dont then they can easily conceed. They play on a knife edge.

I'd say aggressive rather than suicidal, the game was compressed and they had more width than us, at times it looked like we'd boxed them nicely only for them to get it to the man on the touchline and keep the move going.

Guardian BTL:
Arsenal fan here, preparing for an assault on the big one tonight of course.

Got to say I just skimmed this and saw many uses of the word lucky. That second half was anything but. Spurs completely dominated the half and could have scored at least 3 more. Regardless of how good Dortmund were in the first half to go in to the break a goal up and to play like that in the second half is a sign of a really good team.

The disallowed goal was cancelled out by the offside in the build up to the first and giving Kane a foul for his first would have been extremely harsh.

Well played and good luck for the rest, I'm off to be sick.

I'd say aggressive rather than suicidal, the game was compressed and they had more width than us, at times it looked like we'd boxed them nicely only for them to get it to the man on the touchline and keep the move going.

I agree, its aggressive, but when you are so fundamentally exposed I think its fair to say its extremely risky - bordering on suicide.

Its not pragmatic at all, its all gung ho kill-or-be-killed kind of stuff.

Great when it works, and will over run many teams, but leaving yourself in such danger is reckless bordering on stupidity IMO.

Great result last night but even better game, much better than the usual dross we get with teams not wanting to play. It may have been a dangerous tactic Dortmund chose but it made a terrific game and I sure all the neutrals watching enjoyed it. I'm 70 with arthritis in both knees and virtually unemployable but I'm sure I could do just as an effective job as the blokes standing by the goals with their batons if uefa would let me sit down, what is the point in them?

Great result last night but even better game, much better than the usual dross we get with teams not wanting to play. It may have been a dangerous tactic Dortmund chose but it made a terrific game and I sure all the neutrals watching enjoyed it. I'm 70 with arthritis in both knees and virtually unemployable but I'm sure I could do just as an effective job as the blokes standing by the goals with their batons if uefa would let me sit down, what is the point in them?

they are a pair of eyes from another angle, we've probably got them to thank for telling the ref that Kane didn't throw a defender to the ground en route to his first goal, they don't wave flags around but they are still in contact with the ref

they are a pair of eyes from another angle, we've probably got them to thank for telling the ref that Kane didn't throw a defender to the ground en route to his first goal, they don't wave flags around but they are still in contact with the ref
Sounds a good theory but fails miserably in practice when blatant fouls and corners are missed or ignored.

Great result last night, and was very impressed as usual with Dortmund's support. Not sure if already been mentioned, but I felt this was a performance that showed we have matured in this competition. Last season we would've tried to go toe-to-toe with them and been left wanting. However we soaked up their constant pressure and hurt them on the break. I really hope we employ this tactic against Liverpool going forwards in the league.

Thought the Dortmund high-line was their undoing. However their forward play was as impressive as any that I've seen against us. I never thought I would ever see the day (during the first half) where I thought we needed to take Dembele off to gain some leverage in midfield. He couldn't use his strength and ability to ghost past players because we couldn't get near their midfield! Dier was also off-the-pace in the first half. Impressive second half performance though and both our CM's came into the game a lot more.

Kane was almost too casual with that chance to get his hat-trick! And such a shame Sissoko couldn't score at the end, that would have been the icing! Very impressed with Serge, he needs a couple of games to get up to speed with the team but high hopes for him. Sanchez provided a couple of heart-in-mouth moments but also think he's going to be a beast for us. Despite the sending off for Verts, I thought our back three were very impressive.

Personally I think Davies' performance is being a bit overrated - thought at the game that he was particularly guilty of giving the ball away, and sure enough he had by far the lowest pass % (59%)

And I think Dier's being underrated - our only player to keep possession well, and only Aurier won the ball back more. Yes he and Moussa got the runaround first half, but Dortmund were just insane with their passing and movement.

Anyway great result - shame about the embarrassingly brick atmosphere!

"Toby Alderweireld felt that Tottenham Hotspur showed a new-found tactical maturity in the 3-1 Champions League win over Borussia Dortmund at Wembley on Wednesday night. The central defender emphasised the point with a snappy soundbite. “We didn’t play like children,” he said. “We played like adults.

“It wasn’t going our way but we fought, we kept compact and we tried to be dangerous when we came out,” Alderweireld said. “We did that in the first half and the second half was better. We’ve learned quick and we have to learn quick. It’s a good step from last season and a good start.

“When it doesn’t go our way, because we want to press and sometimes we’re a little bit late, we [have to] just stay compact to get through it. And when we got the ball, we tried to be dangerous. That’s a big plus from last season. They had a lot of possession but we defended very well. We didn’t give a lot of chances away. In the second half Dortmund got more tired and we should have scored more.

“Everybody knew what we had to do. We have more experienced players and they know what to do now in those kind of situations. They keep their heads calm and bring what they have to bring. We’ve learnt from last season.”

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...orussia-dortmund-toby-alderweireld-harry-kane

It looked like Poch tried a new setup with us defending deeper and staying compact.

We have needed this tactic in our armoury for some time. But we've look shaky trying it in the past. We're still not 100% with it, more to do, but it did work relatively well yesterday. Maybe the intensity, and coordination for one CBs to stride out and close down in the middle, needs work.

After half time we pushed out a little more.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Last edited:
It looked like Poch tried a new setup with us defending deeper and staying compact.

We have needed this tactic in our armoury for some time. But we've look shaky trying it in the past. We're still not 100% with it, more to do, but it did work relatively well yesterday. Maybe the intensity and coordination for one CBs to stride out and close down in the middle needs work.

After half time we push out a little more.

Often the problem with this way of playing is that it's difficult to maintain intensity. In the 1st half we struggled with that. Not enough closing down and pressure. And when you defend deep, and at the same time don't close down and apply pressure to the ball, you're in all sorts of trouble. 2nd half we were much more aggressive in our pressing.

Son, Kane and Dembele were all blowing from about 70 mins. Sissoko or Winks on for Son or Dembele at 75 mins and Llorente for Kane on 80 mins.
They were tiring, but still performing well. Not like Dortmund were creating a lot.

Son gave us vital pace on the break, we would lose that with Winks. Sissoko has pace, but we would lose almost everything else Son brings - a lot.

Dembele is very solid defensively. Winks has looked some way from match fitness. Sissoko for Dembele would be a dreadful decision as he's a defensive liability.

Kane was enjoying himself a lot and looking for a hat trick. I think he was fine out there until taken off.

There just weren't a lot of good options for us on the bench.

We have needed this tactic in our armoury for some time. But we've look shaky trying it in the past. We're still not 100% with it, more to do, but it did work relatively well yesterday. Maybe the intensity, and coordination for one CBs to stride out and close down in the middle, needs work.

Simple, just play like Burnley.

I agree. Playing deeper and staying compact for large spells of a game, has to be part of our game plan when we're up against the elite sides.

To carry out this game plan you need a bit of luck and also the right personnel. Calm heads are needed in a backs to the wall defensive set -up and in these games, I can't say we've always had that from Kyle Walker, Rose and Dele.

Back