• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Bayer 04 Leverkusen ***

Last night’s performance was pretty shocking. I cannot imagine a performance that could be so totally opposed to the game we played against City only a few weeks ago. In our recent drawn matches, the concern has mostly been that we are not clinical enough in putting chances away. Last night there were very, very few chances being created at all. The players looked lost out there, disjointed, no imagination, no idea of what to do to put things right. Was it nerves? The occasion? Or just a night where just about everyone had a very low point at the same time?

Verts was probably our best player (but the bar was set pretty low).
Wanyama, 1st-half Walker, 1st-half Davies were OK.
Janssen didn’t really do anything wrong, and things seemed to pick up a little when he came on, for a short period, but didn’t have a lot to work with.
Winks also held himself in good stead during the short period he was on.
Everyone else had nightmare games.
Sissoko is getting a hard time, and he was mostly awful – but he also seemed to me to be the only player actually trying to push the ball forward, albeit generally roostering up the move at the end. He did track back as well.

Where has the Son of the City game and before disappeared to? There was one point last night in the first half where the Leverkusen keeper came out of his box to clear the ball. Son was bearing down on the left and when it became clear the keeper would get to the ball first, Son eased off and stopped running altogether and started to retreat. What happened to pressing the keeper? He’s outside his box, put him under pressure, ffs. Unfair to single out Son, but that stood out as it happened directly in front of me. (As did Walker’s pirouetting around with the ball by the corner flag. With every touch he got himself deeper and deeper into trouble, but I am trying to erase that from my memory banks).

I also noticed late in the 2nd half, when one of the Leverkusen players was down injured (aka time wasting), not far from the technical areas, not a single of our players went anywhere near Poch. Normally he would call someone over to give out instructions. In fact Dier went over to get a drink from one of the staff, but I don’t think he even looked at Poch. Something just didn’t feel right about that.

But, trying to find something positive from the night.... that must surely be our worst performance of the season now out of the way?
It can’t get any worse.... can it?

Yet the funny thing it's that we had more possession and a better passing percentage than Bayer. I'm not saying we played better. We didn't. As bad as it looked, the numbers suggest the opposition was worse, but it sure didn't look like it!

These stats aren't worth a cup of p!ss imo. My old Sunday side could knock it around at the back for 5 minutes and go nowhere. They're passing was decisive and quick and in dangerous areas.

It was awful from start to finish. We kicked it out of play aimlessly 3 times inside the first 5 min's and couldn't get out of our half.

Just a few thoughts about last nights game and the current situ in general:

Townsend/Chadli - was neither here nor there with them but they would have done so much better than a lot of them are at the moment (namely Sissoko who cost double what we let these guys go for).
Lemela - Did we miss him!? If so I never thought it would be by that much.
Davies - poor lad, cant find a player on his own team. Looks massively out of sorts when going forward. If he has to play then maybe in a 3?
Pitch size - Is it much wider than the lane? So many passes out wide not reaching their destination.
Janssen - Still behind this guy but anything to suggest he's any better than someone like Connor Wickham? Often wonder how someone like Berahino or Chiqarito would have done for us last night. Someone a bit more direct.
4141 - All this does is put pressure on the 1 holding midfielder and means the 4 in front lose shape and have to filter back in. Much prefer the 2 holders in front of the 2 Centre halves and the wing backs to get forward at will.
Son - He is never a striker, not in a million years. All his dangerous work come from the inside channels with space to run into with ball at feet. 2 times at Wembley I've seen him on the stuck out on the touchline and he doesn't have the pace to hurt from there. A little go in the middle maybe!?
Eriksen - out of sorts but deserving of the hook!? strange one that.
GKN - ???? Not seen much as yet to suggest he's going to contribute this season.
Mane - Said at the time of his transfer you have to pay 35m for proven premier league quality, as there isn't much of it up for grabs. So many Spurs fans I know laughed at the fee. Seems 30m is ok to take a chance tho.
Spine - We really miss the Toby/Dier/Kane spine down the middle. I know Dier played but they were arguably our 3 best players last season (with Alli) and they are either not playing or playing in a different position. Need that back asap.

This isn't a moany post, just some of my current thoughts! I'm sure we will turn it round Sunday and get the last 2 wins needed in the Champions League! Really don't want to be attending the 3rd Wembley game cheering us to get a place in the Europa!

COYS!

These stats aren't worth a cup of p!ss imo. My old Sunday side could knock it around at the back for 5 minutes and go nowhere. They're passing was decisive and quick and in dangerous areas.

We said that last night that Spurs actually looked like a Sunday league team. Loads of hoofing, terrible kicking from Lloris, bad passes all round and no one knowing what to do.

Does anyone on here think Spurs will let ST holders have a season break when we move to Wembley? I fudgeing hate that place, getting in and out of so would bloody love to have a season break and get ready for the new stadium.

If they say no, I'm going to loan my ST out for a year to some poor sod.

i think that has already been confirmed

citation needed though

Sorry dude but is that confirmed as allowed the break or not allowed?

From the Sep 2016 THST meeting :

Season away:
  • Season Ticket Amnesty
KL asked for a discussion around offering an Amnesty for Season Ticket holders at Wembley. THST’s latest survey had revealed that, while the vast majority of existing ST holders would not take the option of a year out, the majority felt there should be the choice of one. Therefore, THST needed to reflect that call.
IM and DC explained THFC’s current position: the fans had wanted a London venue, the Club had delivered Wembley and there was a concern about giving fans the option to drop out at exactly the time they needed ST holders to support the Club both financially and physically.
There was also concern around the practical implications and effect an amnesty would have on those at the top of the ST waiting list and when offering ST’s for the new ground.
KL was certain that those practicalities could be worked through if there was a will to deliver this. An amnesty would mean a ST holder freezing their membership for the year. So they’d effectively be non-members. That brought with it implications that would deter most unless there was a genuine reason for not being able to travel to Wembley throughout the season. KL stressed that no fan had asked for the Club to relocate and by moving for a season, THFC had fundamentally changed their terms of engagement.
After some discussion, it was agreed further internal discussion was needed and THFC asked that the matter be deferred to the next meeting with THST.

It's obvious we didn't play well last night
I also noticed late in the 2nd half, when one of the Leverkusen players was down injured (aka time wasting), not far from the technical areas, not a single of our players went anywhere near Poch. Normally he would call someone over to give out instructions. In fact Dier went over to get a drink from one of the staff, but I don’t think he even looked at Poch. Something just didn’t feel right about that.

If true, that would be more worrying than even our performance. It's one thing to have a bad run of games, but when the cohesion between the team and the team and the manager isn't there, that's when you're in a crisis and it makes it difficult to break out of the rut. I am really hoping that the issue is what Poch said about not having enough time on the training pitch to sort things out, due to fixture congestion. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like this congestion will ease any in the next few weeks. Time will tell.

It was awful from start to finish. We kicked it out of play aimlessly 3 times inside the first 5 min's and couldn't get out of our half.

Just a few thoughts about last nights game and the current situ in general:

Townsend/Chadli - was neither here nor there with them but they would have done so much better than a lot of them are at the moment (namely Sissoko who cost double what we let these guys go for).
Lemela - Did we miss him!? If so I never thought it would be by that much.
Davies - poor lad, cant find a player on his own team. Looks massively out of sorts when going forward. If he has to play then maybe in a 3?
Pitch size - Is it much wider than the lane? So many passes out wide not reaching their destination.
Janssen - Still behind this guy but anything to suggest he's any better than someone like Connor Wickham? Often wonder how someone like Berahino or Chiqarito would have done for us last night. Someone a bit more direct.
4141 - All this does is put pressure on the 1 holding midfielder and means the 4 in front lose shape and have to filter back in. Much prefer the 2 holders in front of the 2 Centre halves and the wing backs to get forward at will.
Son - He is never a striker, not in a million years. All his dangerous work come from the inside channels with space to run into with ball at feet. 2 times at Wembley I've seen him on the stuck out on the touchline and he doesn't have the pace to hurt from there. A little go in the middle maybe!?
Eriksen - out of sorts but deserving of the hook!? strange one that.
GKN - ???? Not seen much as yet to suggest he's going to contribute this season.
Mane - Said at the time of his transfer you have to pay 35m for proven premier league quality, as there isn't much of it up for grabs. So many Spurs fans I know laughed at the fee. Seems 30m is ok to take a chance tho.
Spine - We really miss the Toby/Dier/Kane spine down the middle. I know Dier played but they were arguably our 3 best players last season (with Alli) and they are either not playing or playing in a different position. Need that back asap.

This isn't a moany post, just some of my current thoughts! I'm sure we will turn it round Sunday and get the last 2 wins needed in the Champions League! Really don't want to be attending the 3rd Wembley game cheering us to get a place in the Europa!

COYS!

Good post.
Don't know if we miss Lamela, but last night we missed his energy, aggression and the fact he NEVER hides. The back four got pinned in because no one in the midfield wanted the ball.
I cannot believe the gaps between our back, middle and front, it's like they don't know each other.

Sons goals have papered over the fact he ain't been that great this season either.

Janssen needs help, he's taking on a back line on his own, and a back line with an opportunity to settle it's self to boot.

The pitch does look huge and not a great surface either.

I don't like this 4 1 4 1 either and it seems the players are not getting it.

We said that last night that Spurs actually looked like a Sunday league team. Loads of hoofing, terrible kicking from Lloris, bad passes all round and no one knowing what to do.

We said the same. More like Hackney Marshes than Wembley in the Champions League!

Last night’s performance was pretty shocking. I cannot imagine a performance that could be so totally opposed to the game we played against City only a few weeks ago. In our recent drawn matches, the concern has mostly been that we are not clinical enough in putting chances away. Last night there were very, very few chances being created at all. The players looked lost out there, disjointed, no imagination, no idea of what to do to put things right. Was it nerves? The occasion? Or just a night where just about everyone had a very low point at the same time?

Verts was probably our best player (but the bar was set pretty low).
Wanyama, 1st-half Walker, 1st-half Davies were OK.
Janssen didn’t really do anything wrong, and things seemed to pick up a little when he came on, for a short period, but didn’t have a lot to work with.
Winks also held himself in good stead during the short period he was on.
Everyone else had nightmare games.
Sissoko is getting a hard time, and he was mostly awful – but he also seemed to me to be the only player actually trying to push the ball forward, albeit generally roostering up the move at the end. He did track back as well.

Where has the Son of the City game and before disappeared to? There was one point last night in the first half where the Leverkusen keeper came out of his box to clear the ball. Son was bearing down on the left and when it became clear the keeper would get to the ball first, Son eased off and stopped running altogether and started to retreat. What happened to pressing the keeper? He’s outside his box, put him under pressure, ffs. Unfair to single out Son, but that stood out as it happened directly in front of me. (As did Walker’s pirouetting around with the ball by the corner flag. With every touch he got himself deeper and deeper into trouble, but I am trying to erase that from my memory banks).

But, trying to find something positive from the night.... that must surely be our worst performance of the season now out of the way?
It can’t get any worse.... can it?

Hmm..possibly the most worrying thing i've read today...
Can anyone give a view on this who watched this happen? I'm thinking of something that @Danishfurniturelover mentioned that his wife noticed on the box when we beat Sunderland 2-1 in a saturday late kick-off a couple of weeks before the 5-0 loss at home to Liverpool that led to AVB leaving...

...so yeah those who would be called "Body language experts" do your thing....

Can anyone give a view on this who watched this happen? I'm thinking of something that @Sexagenarianlover mentioned that his wife noticed on the box when we beat Sunderland 2-1 in a saturday late kick-off a couple of weeks before the 5-0 loss at home to Liverpool that led to AVB leaving...

I'm going to flick through the game again this evening as I got in too late last night to re-play it (and really didn't want to put myself through it all again so soon in any case!). I may have got it wrong. He may have been shouting instructions minutes before that I didn't see. I certainly don't want to make a mountain out of a molehill. It did strike me as a bit odd last night, but it doesn't mean everything has broken down behind the scenes.

Can anyone give a view on this who watched this happen? I'm thinking of something that @Sexagenarianlover mentioned that his wife noticed on the box when we beat Sunderland 2-1 in a saturday late kick-off a couple of weeks before the 5-0 loss at home to Liverpool that led to AVB leaving...

I have it one the firmest of authorities that AVB lost the plot in the weeks before his sacking and refused to go down and give the team talk at the training ground on the friday with the players before the saturday games as he normally did. This comes from someone who was in the dressing room at the time.

Back