• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

** OMT - Tottenham Hotspur v AC Milan **

Why does a manager that ran his team into the ground in preseason to get thier fitness up play at this pace?
What was the point?
We are slow, almost lethargic, there's no pace or dynamic plays, on the odd occasion we try to press its awful.
Something doesn't add up.

Sometimes the simplest answer is the right

- His style is playing pragmatic, working the ball, making the opposition work hard, and then with your fitness make it count in the 2nd half (which we have seen)
- We never really press outside of a mid block (again, pragmatic, risk to it), and his picks don't allow for it (Kane & Son can't be a part of a pressing front line, Richi & Deki can)
- His "system" and his desire to have robotic plays slows down the players (they are overthinking), but more importantly it's too predictable, so the opposition counters it.

Zero chance he has trained the team to play some fast tempo, creative football in training and suddenly the players "choose" to play some turgid/slow/risk adverse brick, he wouldn't pick them again and he'd throw them under the bus. They are doing what he tells them, it's not working and he doesn't know what to do other than try to throw the blame elsewhere and some subset of our fans are buying it hook, line and sinker. Because our squad isn't good enough (from his mouth) to beat Villa, Sheffield, Wolves and a poor Milan side.

After a loss it is very easy to be emotional rather than objective. You could argue that against a well drilled team like Milan, we would have very few chances, and would need some luck for them to be successful. We did have a couple of chances last night. In the second half, Porro played one fantastic ball into Kane, in front of goal, which Kane tried to head almost at knee height, and missed it. Were we just unlucky? I don't believe that myself, but it would be interesting to hear from those who want Conte given more time, whether they thought we played ok?

After a loss it is very easy to be emotional rather than objective. You could argue that against a well drilled team like Milan, we would have very few chances, and would need some luck for them to be successful. We did have a couple of chances last night. In the second half, Porro played one fantastic ball into Kane, in front of goal, which Kane tried to head almost at knee height, and missed it. Were we just unlucky? I don't believe that myself, but it would be interesting to hear from those who want Conte given more time, whether they thought we played ok?
For a team 1-0 down we created a disappointingly low number of (half) chances,

We looked like a team that has missed their leader, who are missing a couple of key players, and have an attack that are a little fatigued. Kane also had that header right at the end which was saved. If Romero had stayed on the pitch I think there was a chance we'd have scored, we were ramping up the pressure and they were tiring. It wasn't good enough, we lacked pace down the wings to really stretch them. Porro helped, but it wasn't enough.

We looked like a team that has missed their leader, who are missing a couple of key players, and have an attack that are a little fatigued. Kane also had that header right at the end which was saved. If Romero had stayed on the pitch I think there was a chance we'd have scored, we were ramping up the pressure and they were tiring. It wasn't good enough, we lacked pace down the wings to really stretch them. Porro helped, but it wasn't enough.

Problem is this isn't a one off game or a small sample size

Basically Conte's version of Spurs plays brick most of the time, gets away with it some of the times, typically fails when it counts and only very occasionally do we get both good result and performance.

And again, the usual response is "the squad is brick" but that defense typically is nonsense when you look at losing to Villa, Wolves, Sheffield and a poor Milan side.

I feel sorry for the guy that said he was going to fork out about £1000 to go and see the match. (If true)
He'd have been much more content donating that money to charity.

Problem is this isn't a one off game or a small sample size

Basically Conte's version of Spurs plays brick most of the time, gets away with it some of the times, typically fails when it counts and only very occasionally do we get both good result and performance.

And again, the usual response is "the squad is brick" but that defense typically is nonsense when you look at losing to Villa, Wolves, Sheffield and a poor Milan side.

I think the defence holds us back. When Conte tried to make us more expansive we shed goals galore. We are work in progress. We’re half way. I don’t think there is a doubt that Conte is a winner and has a vision on how he wants his teams to play. We’re part way along that process.

I think the defence holds us back. When Conte tried to make us more expansive we shed goals galore. We are work in progress. We’re half way. I don’t think there is a doubt that Conte is a winner and has a vision on how he wants his teams to play. We’re part way along that process.

Conte has a terrible record in Europe and has only won 3 cup competitions as a manager - undoubtedly a great league manager when given what he needs but I’ve been left a little skeptical over his 'winner' credentials tbh seems on paper that he doesn't excell at knockout football

Conte has a terrible record in Europe and has only won 3 cup competitions as a manager - undoubtedly a great league manager when given what he needs but I’ve been left a little skeptical over his 'winner' credentials tbh seems on paper that he doesn't excell at knockout football

Tbf he's only had 8 seasons as manager of top teams. Before that he was fighting for promotion or relegation at teams like bari, arezzo and sienna. Or was italy manager.

Tbf he's only had 8 seasons as manager of top teams. Before that he was fighting for promotion or relegation at teams like bari, arezzo and sienna. Or was italy manager.

Fair point, still there's a lot for him to prove wrt knockout football imv

It seemed to me that Milan had the ref eating out the palm of their hands from the very first minute yesterday - although you can’t always accurately assess this from the stands. For those that watched on tv: Was his performance as abysmal as I thought it was? (And no, I don’t think his performance was what got us knocked out!)

It seemed to me that Milan had the ref eating out the palm of their hands from the very first minute yesterday - although you can’t always accurately assess this from the stands. For those that watched on tv: Was his performance as abysmal as I thought it was? (And no, I don’t think his performance was what got us knocked out!)
He was awful

Sometimes the simplest answer is the right

- His style is playing pragmatic, working the ball, making the opposition work hard, and then with your fitness make it count in the 2nd half (which we have seen)
- We never really press outside of a mid block (again, pragmatic, risk to it), and his picks don't allow for it (Kane & Son can't be a part of a pressing front line, Richi & Deki can)
- His "system" and his desire to have robotic plays slows down the players (they are overthinking), but more importantly it's too predictable, so the opposition counters it.

Zero chance he has trained the team to play some fast tempo, creative football in training and suddenly the players "choose" to play some turgid/slow/risk adverse brick, he wouldn't pick them again and he'd throw them under the bus. They are doing what he tells them, it's not working and he doesn't know what to do other than try to throw the blame elsewhere and some subset of our fans are buying it hook, line and sinker. Because our squad isn't good enough (from his mouth) to beat Villa, Sheffield, Wolves and a poor Milan side.

We don't really have any creative players even if he did try to train them in a faster tempo and more creative play. Maybe he could get something from Sarr (I rate him highly) but he's not ostensibly a creator and I just can't see Conte picking him at this stage. He's just too young and inexperienced for him.

We can do better and Conte is far from getting the best from them but going forward whomever the manager is if we want a more up tempo playstyle with flair and creativity we need to do some recruitment.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

Back