• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT Spurs vs SomeDodgy Mancs

One thing I didn't notice during the game, but MOTD highlighted it. When we pushed up and pressed, Dier move out of the back 3 and up into midfield, because City never ever play long, despite that Haaland made the runs and had massive spaces to run into. Not once did they even try to find him early, so Dier could move up without much worry.
Not seen us do that before, but it worked, and the goal came from just that move from Dier, preventing a pass to Bernardo.

One thing I didn't notice during the game, but MOTD highlighted it. When we pushed up and pressed, Dier move out of the back 3 and up into midfield, because City never ever play long, despite that Haaland made the runs and had massive spaces to run into. Not once did they even try to find him early, so Dier could move up without much worry.
Not seen us do that before, but it worked, and the goal came from just that move from Dier, preventing a pass to Bernardo.
Great article in the athletic about it
We did it against Brighton and Leicester too.
It’s actually led by Kulu telling people where to go and then having PEH blind siding players
They analyse it really well

My personal theory on our clean sheet improvement is that Kulu is back, and yesterday we saw Sonny’s intent was back too.

I think there were other factors too, but this was definitely an important part of it.

The entire team functioned as a cohesive whole again, and for the first time in a long time more or less for a full game.

Great win, especially when thinking about the capitulation vs them just over two weeks ago.

Two wins, two clean sheets in PL (3 if you include Preston). Let's hope it's a springboard for the next few league games (which will all be THEIR cup finals) and the Milan away CL leg.

Interesting Dier tactic as indeed mentioned by MOTD @Kandi1977 ... @Bedfordspurs i'm feeling lazy this morning, any chance of a link to the article which claims we've done it before this season vs Brighton and Leicester?
Seems very high risk-high rerwad: i can imagine we wouldn't dare try it vs Man Utd or Arsenal...

Onwards and upwards, COYS

Great win, especially when thinking about the capitulation vs them just over two weeks ago.

Two wins, two clean sheets in PL (3 if you include Preston). Let's hope it's a springboard for the next few league games (which will all be THEIR cup finals) and the Milan away CL leg.

Interesting Dier tactic as indeed mentioned by MOTD @Kandi1977 ... @Bedfordspurs i'm feeling lazy this morning, any chance of a link to the article which claims we've done it before this season vs Brighton and Leicester?
Seems very high risk-high rerwad: i can imagine we wouldn't dare try it vs Man Utd or Arsenal...

There's significant risk with the alternatives as well. Pressing high without the defenders stepping up is more high risk lite reward. Just dropping deep every time is more low risk low reward, but over time that low risk will cummulate.

This kind of sporadic, proper high pressing and doing it well will hopefully become more of a regular thing for us.

There's significant risk with the alternatives as well. Pressing high without the defenders stepping up is more high risk lite reward. Just dropping deep every time is more low risk low reward, but over time that low risk will cummulate.

This kind of sporadic, proper high pressing and doing it well will hopefully become more of a regular thing for us.

Agreed. I was thinking that it might actually be quite an effective tactic - lull the opponent by sitting deep most of the time, but then surprise them by occasionally and suddenly pressing super aggressively. Certainly seemed to work on Sunday. And much more enjoyable to watch.

Agreed. I was thinking that it might actually be quite an effective tactic - lull the opponent by sitting deep most of the time, but then surprise them by occasionally and suddenly pressing super aggressively. Certainly seemed to work on Sunday. And much more enjoyable to watch.

Agreed. Imo much more Conte too. Much more like what we saw when we were good last season and seen at previous clubs from what I've seen. Varied press kind of style.

This season has been a bit of a mess. But if we can find good form now a lot of good is yet to come.

Do you have an athletic subscription?

I’ll screen shot it

79912428-2C3B-4F6B-B63A-3D53148B015E.png 0A3502BB-64A8-48DE-A7AF-E8D3A64813DD.png 3F676F46-EB08-4EA2-9A67-084E05FCD18B.png 171B35F1-116E-412E-A6F0-7945373F7C94.png DE5AE385-D8D3-43EF-B0DA-155947297DDF.png 79912428-2C3B-4F6B-B63A-3D53148B015E.png 0A3502BB-64A8-48DE-A7AF-E8D3A64813DD.png 3F676F46-EB08-4EA2-9A67-084E05FCD18B.png

79912428-2C3B-4F6B-B63A-3D53148B015E.png

Attachments

• DC2250BC-CABD-41A7-BB32-0F0B68F40A85.png
    DC2250BC-CABD-41A7-BB32-0F0B68F40A85.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 1
  • 90A48A02-4947-47A5-8CD4-E1E2FAA0EA9A.png
    90A48A02-4947-47A5-8CD4-E1E2FAA0EA9A.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 55F91361-22DE-4016-B09B-484985C2566D.png
    55F91361-22DE-4016-B09B-484985C2566D.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 515F2E37-7496-41BA-BCD8-4EFA2FA24DD3.png
    515F2E37-7496-41BA-BCD8-4EFA2FA24DD3.png
    3 MB · Views: 1
  • A43E6BB3-AFCC-4372-9173-C64D208C3B02.png
    A43E6BB3-AFCC-4372-9173-C64D208C3B02.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 1

The capitulation to Emirates Marketing Project a couple of weeks ago wasn't actually a bad performance overall. In that game it was really just 3 pieces of really poor defending from Perisic that cost us (then capped off by a poor piece of defending from Lenglet, though I suspect if we weren't losing the game at that point Lenglet may not have tried that quite dangerous piece of control of the ball.

The capitulation to Emirates Marketing Project a couple of weeks ago wasn't actually a bad performance overall. In that game it was really just 3 pieces of really poor defending from Perisic that cost us (then capped off by a poor piece of defending from Lenglet, though I suspect if we weren't losing the game at that point Lenglet may not have tried that quite dangerous piece of control of the ball.

Same could imo be said about several of our poor performances (actually more poor resu in recent months). You're spot on though. And the need to be able to weather a bit of a storm when up against a top team to get a result is just a part of football imo. Difficult to avoid.

Very interesting. Thanks for posting @Bedfordspurs .

It seems to me that Dier is much better in the role of pushing up rather than being the last line of defence. However, it wouldn't surprise me against Leicester, with Romero out, if Royal came in for him to play that role and Porro makes his debut. Could be our secret weapon going forward.

Very interesting. Thanks for posting @Bedfordspurs .

It seems to me that Dier is much better in the role of pushing up rather than being the last line of defence. However, it wouldn't surprise me against Leicester, with Romero out, if Royal came in for him to play that role and Porro makes his debut. Could be our secret weapon going forward.
We haven’t played royal at RCB yet and I can’t see him playing him there
Sanchez was a fine deputy last season and I think will get the nod

Yep
Hugo and Ivan having a comp to see who could fudge up the most

Back