• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT - Spurs vs FC Barcelona***

With regards Wanyama you need to all understand the context of my post, which is I've long thought the knee injury has finished him sandro style.

Last night suggested to me for the first time, that maybe that's not the case and once he regains something close to full fitness we could have the old Wanyama back.

Performance wise he wasn't excellent, but some of the comments on his display are way too excessive, but these are the extremes an increasing number of posters are going to these days, largely influenced in its entirety by the result after 90 mins.

I guess that's the indictment of the entitled world we now live in and my avatar by the day looks like it was given as a sense of irony, as I bring some fair minded balanced analysis to a forum increasingly flooded by numerous self entitled drama queens.

With regards Wanyama you need to all understand the context of my post, which is I've long thought the knee injury has finished him sandro style.

Last night suggested to me for the first time, that maybe that's not the case and once he regains something close to full fitness we could have the old Wanyama back.

Performance wise he wasn't excellent, but some of the comments on his display are way too excessive, but these are the extremes an increasing number of posters are going to these days, largely influenced in its entirety by the result after 90 mins.

I guess that's the indictment of the entitled world we now live in and my avatar by the day looks like it was given as a sense of irony, as I bring some fair minded balanced analysis to a forum increasingly flooded by numerous self entitled drama queens.

Interesting you say that as the Barca fans I spoke to remember Wanyama when he played them before when at Celtic... one said he was too slow. The other in poor English I think he said chased shadows but could also have been making a racist comment

For me last night was not a game to start him in until he is 100%

This morning I can't help thinking "what if...".
What if Hugo hadn't made that huge mistake and we hadn't conceded so ridiculously early. It sapped us and whatever our game plan was, we had no chance to even try to execute it. Things might have been different (they might not). We will never know.
I know football is built on "what if" moments, and you could pick many from the game. But that one was critical.

Poch was right before the game to not make excuses for our injuries. I think that was important for the confidence of those who were playing.
But just one or two from Dele, Eriksen, (an on form) Dembele or Vertonghen being available and I really believe it could have been different.
I wasn't as "wowed" by Barca as I thought I would be.

Oh well. It's not over yet.

This morning I can't help thinking "what if...".
What if Hugo hadn't made that huge mistake and we hadn't conceded so ridiculously early. It sapped us and whatever our game plan was, we had no chance to even try to execute it. Things might have been different (they might not). We will never know.
I know football is built on "what if" moments, and you could pick many from the game. But that one was critical.

Poch was right before the game to not make excuses for our injuries. I think that was important for the confidence of those who were playing.
But just one or two from Dele, Eriksen, (an on form) Dembele or Vertonghen being available and I really believe it could have been different.
I wasn't as "wowed" by Barca as I thought I would be.

Oh well. It's not over yet.

I was amazed at how quickly they stopped pressing and let us have the ball with space

You add in a creative player who we were missing and we could have hurt them

They also really don’t like players running at them which we should exploit at their place

None of us expected a win. Depleted team and when your options are sissoko off the bench seriously what can be done?

Levy should have spent some money to address deficiencies in the team. He has already said that the stadium would not affect the budget .... i think however we were unable to move players on.

Hopefully we kick on and I'll proud that we didn't get tonked 5-0 which easily could have happened.

I really like Wanyama but tonight was not a game to start him in

He was chasing shadows badly...

Dier came on and we were on the front foot yet people think he is brick... weird

Indeed we were and Wanyama was shocking. But we have seen plenty of games where we are pressed high with quick passing where Dier has also struggled.

If Poch was convinced that Dier is the answer to our defensive midfield issues then I believe he would have started given the other absentees. I hope we develop him as a centre back and then buy a Carrick like defensive midfielder.

Last edited:
None of us expected a win. Depleted team and when your options are sissoko off the bench seriously what can be done?

Levy should have spent some money to address deficiencies in the team. He has already said that the stadium would not affect the budget .... i think however we were unable to move players on.

Hopefully we kick on and I'll proud that we didn't get tonked 5-0 which easily could have happened.

Yep, I agree. I said all summer that we needed 1-2 net additions, and that could have made all the difference last night

I note that the many people on here who were saying over the summer 'its fine if we dont sign anyone...getting current players to sign new deals is effectively the same' have gone quiet

Yep, I agree. I said all summer that we needed 1-2 net additions, and that could have made all the difference last night

I note that the many people on here who were saying over the summer 'its fine if we dont sign anyone...getting current players to sign new deals is effectively the same' have gone quiet

Have we, I still think it was fine, we didn't lose last night because of the players we didn't sign, we lost last night because some of the ones we did sign performed badly and made silly mistakes.

Hugely disappointing evening but really pleased to see the fighting performance in the 2nd half. After Kane scored from a delightful move I thought Lamela, Winks and Moura stood up to be counted and if the Moura shot at 2-3 had gone in who knows what might have happened. At the end of the day the mistakes from Lloris, Wanyama and Sissoko cost us big time, we really couldn't afford to go a goal down so early in the game.

A couple of the starting decisions were a little strange, i.e. Wanyama for Dier and Davies for Rose and both were poor, particularly first half. When we are playing 4 at the back we definitely need Dier in front as a shield, despite his recent form, as Wanyama just does not perform the same role.

The missing players clearly influenced the result. Certainly looking at our bench last night there was no-one who you felt would really change the game when they came on. Maybe we should have strengthened in the last window and brought in a couple of experienced players who could perform that role or have we just been really unlucky with injuries.

Watching Messi live was a delight although at times our players seemed to forget that he is very left footed, constantly showing him to his favoured side!

Yeeeaaaah, not really true is it!?

And the officials were dreadful as well, giving free kicks almost every time a Barcelona player fell over, booking our players for just standing their ground, missing foul throws and allowing Pique to take a free kick after he had been treated on the pitch for injury. Just don't know where they find these officials! We thought it was bad in the Europa League but it seems just as bad in the Champions League

Indeed we were and Wanyama was shocking. But we have seen plenty of games where we are pressed high with quick passing where Dier has also struggled.

If Poch was convinced that Dier is the answer to our defensive midfield issues then I believe he would have started given the other absentees. I hope we develop him as a centre back and then buy a Carrick like defensive midfielder.

Barca didn’t press us
They let us have the ball as they knew we couldn’t pass for brick
They knew with such poor passing they would intercept plenty and they did
I think Poch thought wanyamas energy would help but he didn’t have a clue where to be
He was well off the pace and won’t be The player we saw before until Christmas IMO

Last edited:

By eck Ajax that was you not so long ago. Now you-re turning into a half-decent poster.

What happened?

Back