• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT: Mighty Spurs vs Brighton & Hove Albion

Bridge too far in this one with the number of injuries with Romero being the final one.

Still so much to be impressed by and optimistic about with this team. And we show in patches again what we're capable of.

Just hope we find a way to be better in the next couple of games and stay in touching distance with the top when we start getting players back from injuries.

It’s the time of the season where you need players who can run and energy
We don’t appear to have either

Brighton had 2 days extra before this game
Bournemouth gave 2 extra before Sundays game
And we’re broken…
Said it many times, the football tv schedulers plan this to fudge us over. It's no coincidence. Plus we just never play well when on Amazon prime.

Probably our worst performance of the season so far ( not really considering the Chelski game as that was mad), but there are a lot of reasons for that ( injurys, suspensions, new system). Its a work in progress and i am enjoying the ride so far. Unlike some i do/did not really think we would make the top four at the begining of the season and i will not be dissapointed ( really) if we fail to do that.

What i do know is that the progress is there and even the blind fans have to see that ( will not hold my breath though) for some to show the patience that is required to achieve our aims.

Probably our worst performance of the season so far ( not really considering the Chelski game as that was mad), but there are a lot of reasons for that ( injurys, suspensions, new system). Its a work in progress and i am enjoying the ride so far. Unlike some i do/did not really think we would make the top four at the begining of the season and i will not be dissapointed ( really) if we fail to do that.

What i do know is that the progress is there and even the blind fans have to see that ( will not hold my breath though) for some to show the patience that is required to achieve our aims.
What do you make as a an ex coach of playing players out of position?

What do you make as a an ex coach of playing players out of position?

It depends on the player and what you expect from him. Most players can adapt to other posistions but obviously on most occasions they must have to have the mentality ( believe they can do so) . Younger players are easier to mold into other posistions then more established players though. Some players have skills/mentality to adapt it depends on age in most occasions.

The end of next season will probably be the time to judge. Let him have a couple of transfer windows to get his team.

Top 5 could get cl this season. Injuries/transfers permitting i think that is achievable.

You're kinda proving my original point so because my point was around the judgement of other people's opinions and framing them as extreme because they contain elements on one side of the argument or other whilst ignorning any nuance. It had nothing to do with actually holding extreme opinions.
And that’s why I said you want it both ways. You hold an extreme position (Ange will never win a trophy) and get upset when someone calls it that.

My position is he might win something, he might not. But I think he’s the perfect coach for where Spurs are, he’s only been in the job 6 months and I’m really enjoying it. Let’s see what happens, rather than writing him off as you’ve done many times.

So, there's Brighton's Mitoma claiming he can't play in the Asian Cup due to an ankle knack.

Of course, there'll be a miracle recovery as soon as Japan set their tournament alignment and he'll be back out for Brighton by mid-month.

Can we not copy this tactic to retain our key players? Which at this point constitutes anyone capable of lacing up their boots and taking to the pitch.

And that’s why I said you want it both ways. You hold an extreme position (Ange will never win a trophy) and get upset when someone calls it that.

My position is he might win something, he might not. But I think he’s the perfect coach for where Spurs are, he’s only been in the job 6 months and I’m really enjoying it. Let’s see what happens, rather than writing him off as you’ve done many times.

Yes, Deano. In the immortal words of Sgt. Hulka; "Lighten up, Francis".

Ange is only getting started. Light is visible at the end of the tunnel. Squint harder if you can't see that.

Both were spot on.
The first one is somewhat interesting, because if you separate out the holding Kulu does it looks blatant.
However, if you play the entire corner situations, you see a slightly different picture. The amount of holding both ways, defender/attacker is astonishing. Dunk is more or less bodily moving Davies out of his way several times, all the other are grabbing shirts, hands, underwear, buttplugs, whatever they can get a hand on. And rarely are any fouls given. So one can understand that Kulu thought that it was a valid thing to do...

Several times there has been a number of incidents while the corner is taken where each one would constitute a free kick to the defending team every day of the week if it happened outside of the box, (but since it is a corner it is "allowed") followed by a single similar foul the other way resulting in a penalty given.

As long as we do have VAR, I think there should be a separate VAR-protocol for situations on corners leading to goal or penalty if it is not already in place: The very first incident occuring after the run-up to the corner kick is the first to be analyzed. If free kick to defending team, void goal/penalty. If not, move on to next. I think now they do it the other way around, start with the latest, then work backwards.
Two players 'wrestling' each other is completly different to one player pulling the shirt of another player.

So, there's Brighton's Mitoma claiming he can't play in the Asian Cup due to an ankle knack.

Of course, there'll be a miracle recovery as soon as Japan set their tournament alignment and he'll be back out for Brighton by mid-month.

Can we not copy this tactic to retain our key players? Which at this point constitutes anyone capable of lacing up their boots and taking to the pitch.
There's no way Mitoma is sacking off representing Japan at the biggest continental tournament (turning down a chance to win it) to play 3 or 4 games with Brighton.

I just fail to understand how people can't see you can't play without 4 key players plus an other 3 to 4 starters and expect to win regularly, I thought the experience of our "cup teams" over the years might have offered a clue, but there are still some who think any Spurs team can beat anyone as they are just rubbish. We have done well to be where we are but the for some that's never enough. Can't wait for the raving and ranting when the window opens.

Totally agree.

Some of the reactions have been so fudging tedious! Context is everything. I still maintain that we started really well, and had Johnson played a low cross instead of a high one in the opening minutes, we'd have been 1-0 up and a totally different game!

Agree with a lot of that. I think he's a very impressive individual. He takes a very big picture view of things and doesn't get bogged down by the short term problems. I think it also helps that he's come from the real world rather than being pampered his whole life. He talks like a real person. He treats players like adults and doesn't get involved in petty stuff. There is a massive amount to admire about him. He speaks well, he knows football and, you're absolutely correct, he is the opposite of the Jose and Conte eras. The football at times is absolutely breathtaking too like you say.

I just don't believe you can win big prizes by playing like we play. I see some of what I'd judge to be very glaring structural problems in our set up that won't necessarily be solved by personnel not matter how good those players are. Maybe time will prove me wrong. If it does, it'll be a glorious day because I can't think of anyone I'd rather have to lead us to glory.

Emirates Marketing Project do. Pep won't compromise.
The last two 'serial winners' we had in the manager's chair fudged it (and us) big time. Mourinho bleating on about being denied the League Cup after the mighty run which saw us beat Chelsea, Stoke and Brentford is laughable. This man took over a side who were in the last 16 of the Champions League and he fudged it. He then failed to get us back into the Champions League, despite having a generational forward pairing. Imagine if Ange had Kane for this season...anyway, apologies, that was a general grumble not aimed at you mate, I just got going and...well...hahahahahaha...

I honestly can’t see what is extreme about “I like the guy, he’s doing well but I don’t believe he’ll win a trophy. Maybe I’m wrong.” To me that’s a strong opinion, extreme would be, “the guy is out of his depth, he definitely won’t win anything.”

But let’s even accept its extreme. The post I was replying to said something along the lines of “some people interpret any criticism of Ange as wanting him out.”

And that’s the point. If someone was to interpret that part of my opinion as being anti Ange or wanting him out, that’s what I’d have a problem with because you’re taking one part of my opinion to the extreme and reaching a conclusion that isn’t representative of my actual overall view.

Anyway, we’re probably not going to agree. I’m sure we’ll be debating this stuff again in some other thread at some point. :)

I honestly can’t see what is extreme about “I like the guy, he’s doing well but I don’t believe he’ll win a trophy. Maybe I’m wrong.” To me that’s a strong opinion, extreme would be, “the guy is out of his depth, he definitely won’t win anything.”

But let’s even accept its extreme. The post I was replying to said something along the lines of “some people interpret any criticism of Ange as wanting him out.”

And that’s the point. If someone was to interpret that part of my opinion as being anti Ange or wanting him out, that’s what I’d have a problem with because you’re taking one part of my opinion to the extreme and reaching a conclusion that isn’t representative of my actual overall view.

Anyway, we’re probably not going to agree. I’m sure we’ll be debating this stuff again in some other thread at some point. :)
Fair enough, and I know I often reply to your comments but only because I'm surprised you've drawn such a bold (l won't call it extreme!) conclusion in such a short time. I'm mostly surprised because you're one of the more enjoyable and sensible commenters on here (I hope that doesn't sound like I'm trying to blow smoke up your arse) so I'm just curious because although Ange isn't perfect I can absolutely see him winning stuff with Spurs.

Let's hope he does. 👍

Last edited:
Totally agree.

Some of the reactions have been so fudging tedious! Context is everything. I still maintain that we started really well, and had Johnson played a low cross instead of a high one in the opening minutes, we'd have been 1-0 up and a totally different game!
I said earlier in this thread really the only difference in the first half is that Brighton were willing to shoot and we weren't. There chances weren't even nailed on but they were willing to give it a go whereas we just overplayed and kept looking for the perfect pass for the perfect goal. Then the Lulu penalty didn't help and all the momentum completely swing their way.

Back