• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT: Mighty Spurs vs Brighton & Hove Albion

Do Var hear the match commentary?
A big difference in Gary neville description of Romero and Udogie tackling to that pair last night.
How dunk wasn't red carded and balbena never even got a yellow is a total mystery.
According to the BBC website we conceded six fouls, they led to two pens and two bookings.
Bha had 18 fouls and two cards. And those stats don't count the fouls balbena made and "advantage" was played.
I've been told we're the most fouled team in the league, yet have one of the worst card counts.

After the 2nd goal, the tally was

- Spurs, 3 fouls, 2 yellow cards
- Brighton, 11 fouls, 0 yellow cards

The highlight of that brick was the Dunk tackle and the run Udogie made and must have been fouled at least 4 times .. but hey "advantage" played

It's so clear that small/tactical/shirt pulling fouls is clearly a tactic teams have adopted against us to break the flow of our passing game, and until it's leg breaking (and then maybe) the refs do fudge all about it .. frustrating ...

Solomon hasn't done anything of note, felt like an opportunistic signing at the time.

It was/is but he stays involved all game and offers more defensively and keeps energy up (critical in this system).

Would have been a great option in Everton game to pull Johnson when we were 2-0 up and put on Solomon (still fits system, still goes forward but doesn't hide)

Yep, I know I just posted those screenshots but I totally agree.

I'm no defensive genius, but looking in the box I think we have the cross fairly well covered, he's taking a hit because they're a comfortable couple of goals up and it's a freebie.
Just our luck he scores.

And that’s the kicker
If we don’t give them a chance we will never know
What we do know is we have a knackered front line and a CB pairing that is full backs being played out of position. The games we have done that in we have lost… that’s factually correct
I can’t see his playing a younger centre back would produce a worse outcome than losing
It's been a fine line at times. Yesterday nor the West Ham match were down to the CBs chosen in that respect he didn't make a decision that was directly culpable for the goals conceded and the losses.

I agree it would be nice if some of the youth team could be involved but if the coach genuinely doesn't think they are ready then we just have to accept his view.

It's been a fine line at times. Yesterday nor the West Ham match were down to the CBs chosen in that respect he didn't make a decision that was directly culpable for the goals conceded and the losses.

I agree it would be nice if some of the youth team could be involved but if the coach genuinely doesn't think they are ready then we just have to accept his view.
We have no choice but to accept his view
But the time to try them is when we need players
When he gets all the players in he wants… he won’t need to play them and the risks and expectations are higher

We have no choice but to accept his view
But the time to try them is when we need players
When he gets all the players in he wants… he won’t need to play them and the risks and expectations are higher
He's been consistent here, when asked about youth he's basically said if you're good enough you're old enough.

That pretty clearly spells out he reckons some of the young guys aren't ready yet. At least by ready to start in PL games. Not that hard to grasp is it?

I get we have a ridiculous number of injuries but we’re really not helping ourselves with the amount of suspensions we’ve already had. Bissouma x3, Romero, Udogie x2 now Kulusevski. Ange really needs to sort the team out when it comes to discipline as we already have a paper thin squad and these suspensions aren’t helping.

He's been consistent here, when asked about youth he's basically said if you're good enough you're old enough.

That pretty clearly spells out he reckons some of the young guys aren't ready yet. At least by ready to start in PL games. Not that hard to grasp is it?
I’ve never heard him say that
I do know he never played youth at Celtic either
Can’t comment on other clubs
Maybe the question should be… with the record of playing full backs at centre backs being horrendous, would you be worse off trying out a younger player who actually plays there. See how he reacts to that

I get we have a ridiculous number of injuries but we’re really not helping ourselves with the amount of suspensions we’ve already had. Bissouma x3, Romero, Udogie x2 now Kulusevski. Ange really needs to sort the team out when it comes to discipline as we already have a paper thin squad and these suspensions aren’t helping.
Poor discipline definitely plays a part, but the lower bar for several types of yellow cards this season doesn’t help either.

Couldnt believe the amount of stuff I was seeing on the internet today about how Ange should play Philips from people who’d never seen him play. Players really do become better when they aren’t in the team.

The lad has played 8 games in the Championship, he’s 18 and would be coming into a team with no recognised centre back beside him away to a really good premier league side. You have to trust the manager on these calls - to me it would have been insanity to throw him in tonight.
I agree with the general gist of your post Deano. However, if I am playing devil's advocate, it is then borderline negligent of the club to start the season with just 2 recognised CBs. If Dier is not to be trusted, Sanchez deemed to be surplus to requirements and Phillips too young to start, do we play the games when our main CBs are unavailable with fullbacks filling in? If so, on yesterday's evidence we are likely to lose more games.

If you watch yesterday's game again it is clear that the defence in its current incarnation is lacking leadership and drilling on the basics. There were several occasions when the defenders were bunched together leaving Brighton's attackers unmarked. They scored their first goal because of it. The lack of decisiveness in the defence causes other players to panic and make rash decisions hence the penalties. Add to that Royal's passing when under pressure is not good. As I said before, I trust Ange, but I hope he has a plan to improve our defending.

Last edited:
Back