• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT: Everton vs Mighty Spurs

Have you really resorted to comparing Sissoko to Barcelonas attack in an attempt to defend him?
Djeeeeeezzzzuzzz! I used that as an example. You know what that is right? It was yesterday and maybe still fresh in peoples mind, and it was an excellent example of my point of not needing to touch the ball to have massive influence.

No one other than you is implying that's all he does, or that he can't control his feet. He doesn't have the ball skills of an Eriksen but I don't believe his technical is as bad as can be implied on here. We have enough pretty footballers and his skill set adds something different. See Pochs quotes after Everton game, was very happy with his performance and mentioned how he plays him in different position for different games. This is because he believes his skill set adds something....
Out of interest. If Poch did agree with me, what would you expect him to say publicly about a player who is clearly trying but just not very good?

Out of interest. If Poch did agree with me, what would you expect him to say publicly about a player who is clearly trying but just not very good?
“Football is not about money,” Pochettino said when asked about Sissoko’s absence. “It is about players being better, and that they show on the training ground that they are better than another team-mate and that they deserve to be involved or not. In my opinion, I need to take the decisions and I believe that the players that started in the game [on Saturday] and the players on the bench deserved to be involved in the game. There’s nothing else to [read into] it.
;)

Djeeeeeezzzzuzzz! I used that as an example. You know what that is right? It was yesterday and maybe still fresh in peoples mind, and it was an excellent example of my point of not needing to touch the ball to have massive influence.

It was an example of the best players in the world. Yes, a good example of running off the ball making a contribution, but one that applies to Sissoko against Everton?

It was an example of the best players in the world. Yes, a good example of running off the ball making a contribution, but one that applies to Sissoko against Everton?
I didn't mention Sissoko at all! I replied to scara's comment that you need the ball to have any influence. You don't. You seem to read everything like the devil reads the Bible.

Scara was quite clearly talking about Sissoko in the post you responded to, its hardly my being devious in making the connection is it?

Leon Osmans comments about the ball running were used in supposrt of Sissoko, Scara commented on it, you brought up Barca, Ive read this glancing through the thread - if Ive misread your pov then fair enough, though Im not sure I missed by much.

The point remains that off the ball running in and of itself is meaningless. The best players will contribute massively with it, the worst wont. Right now where does Sissoko fall on the scale?

And the overarching point remains, people really are stretching to support him with very little to substantiate it. And thats down tot he fact Sissoko has done little of worth to support those posters.

So do you think he'd call Sissoko's performance out as brick if he was trying?

I don't.
No, but he wouldn't praise him unnecessarily either.
He said post Everton match, "I think he was good today. Happy, good performance, very solid performance too. I am happy with him, he is part of my plan, and I think today was very good."

Last edited:
He said post Everton match, "I think he was good today. Happy, good performance, very solid performance too. I am happy with him, he is part of my plan, and I think today was very good."
I think his judgment is flawed on Sissoko.

Whilst it's more a football philosophy thing, I don't see the need to lose quality by adding a physical player in the mould of Sissoko. At least not unless we can get one with the requisite skills level too.

If Poch agreed with you he wouldn't be playing full stop and would have been shipped off quicker than Jansen was....

Off topic, but Im always a bit suspicious of manager speak. I tend really to take it with a pinch of salt rather than give it much gravitas.

Simply because, a manager always has an agenda, something to gain (or lose), and is also bound by certain etiquette when speaking publicly.

It could be he genuinely meant every word.

It could be he knows Sissoko has no confidence, and while he didnt think he was particualrly good he did think bigging him up might help him find some confidence and hopefully form.

It could be he doesnt give a brick about Sissoko, he just wants it to look like he is in the squad and we intend to keep him so come January his price isnt completely bargain basement...

There are so many angles that could be being played its impossible to really believe anything.

And that goes for all managers in pretty much all circumstance! How often do you think Mourinho is speaking honestly and sincerely?!

Sorry to step in on your dance @scaramanga but I just wanted to say that Wanyama is a decent passer and got progressively more adventurous in his passing as last season went on.

I should say, I agree with it but I don't think that means he's a better passer than Sissoko. More adventurous since he joined himself, yeah.

I get that it's why he was bought - I think that Poch is wrong in both his reasoning and his choice of player. He's especially wrong in picking that player against teams we can pass around - like Everton.

Nothing about wanting to rest Dembele so he's free tonight? Nothing about Sissoko's running actually helping us as Leon Osman mentioned?

Off topic, but Im always a bit suspicious of manager speak. I tend really to take it with a pinch of salt rather than give it much gravitas.

Simply because, a manager always has an agenda, something to gain (or lose), and is also bound by certain etiquette when speaking publicly.

It could be he genuinely meant every word.

It could be he knows Sissoko has no confidence, and while he didnt think he was particualrly good he did think bigging him up might help him find some confidence and hopefully form.

It could be he doesnt give a brick about Sissoko, he just wants it to look like he is in the squad and we intend to keep him so come January his price isnt completely bargain basement...

There are so many angles that could be being played its impossible to really believe anything.

And that goes for all managers in pretty much all circumstance! How often do you think Mourinho is speaking honestly and sincerely?!

Poch was almost at pains to not praise Sissoko too much if you watch the video. He starts, but then wants to emphasise the team. From watching Poch, there was nothing about him that wanted to give Sissoko too much praise. I think he thinks he's an experienced pro and expects him to keep it up.

Nothing about wanting to rest Dembele so he's free tonight? Nothing about Sissoko's running actually helping us as Leon Osman mentioned?
Looking at the line up tonight (and remembering Alli's suspension) then it certainly looks like Poch might have picked him in a game he thought we would win, so that the good players can play tonight.

Looking at the line up tonight (and remembering Alli's suspension) then it certainly looks like Poch might have picked him in a game he thought we would win, so that the good players can play tonight.

Probably. I wouldn't put Sissoko in my best 11 ahead of Son.

Back