• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

**** OMT Arsenal v Tottenham Hotspur ****

I must admit; I'm bleeping scared of this game!

Can anyone allay my fears with tactical insight (rather than the "We will Win" happy-clappy stuff?)

They're a very good team, in good form, we have a poor record there. There's a fairly solid likelihood of us losing. It's a very important game, that would be painful.

On the other hand... I think tactically this is a pretty good game for us. We're happy conceding possession, they want to keep the ball. I think they can be vulnerable to a high press when we choose to do so, we probably won't outstretch ourselves pressing like some teams have against them.

I think they're a good pressing team, but not great. If we have a good day I think we should be able to play through their press with a decent frequency.

They're good when attacking, borderline great at times, but that's been against mostly not very good teams. Again on our day I think we should be able to keep it reasonably tight at the back.

I think Arteta is a good manager, yet to see him do things like Tuchel did against us in big games. Head to head I'd pick Conte every day of the week and we have Conte.

I also think we have experience on our side. It's not like they're a team of teenagers and we're Real Madrid. But we have a lot of players that are well seasoned at this kind of thing. They have more players a bit shorter on that experience. Same goes for the managers imo.

Keep it tight, don't do anything stupid, be patient, suffer. Then when possible be brave and manage to play through them. Get those things right and we could have a very good time. But I'm under no illusions here, this will be very difficult and we could end up with only the suffering part.

They're a very good team, in good form, we have a poor record there. There's a fairly solid likelihood of us losing. It's a very important game, that would be painful.

On the other hand... I think tactically this is a pretty good game for us. We're happy conceding possession, they want to keep the ball. I think they can be vulnerable to a high press when we choose to do so, we probably won't outstretch ourselves pressing like some teams have against them.

I think they're a good pressing team, but not great. If we have a good day I think we should be able to play through their press with a decent frequency.

They're good when attacking, borderline great at times, but that's been against mostly not very good teams. Again on our day I think we should be able to keep it reasonably tight at the back.

I think Arteta is a good manager, yet to see him do things like Tuchel did against us in big games. Head to head I'd pick Conte every day of the week and we have Conte.

I also think we have experience on our side. It's not like they're a team of teenagers and we're Real Madrid. But we have a lot of players that are well seasoned at this kind of thing. They have more players a bit shorter on that experience. Same goes for the managers imo.

Keep it tight, don't do anything stupid, be patient, suffer. Then when possible be brave and manage to play through them. Get those things right and we could have a very good time. But I'm under no illusions here, this will be very difficult and we could end up with only the suffering part.
Good summary. You missed the home crowd, they will give our players a torrid time, like our home supporters do for them. Stand up to that and we've got enough to get something from the game.
Expect the worst, hope for the best. COYS.

You'll have to explain? Did you find my thing a bit drively/indirect way of saying 'we will win by hitting them on fast breaks/turnovers'? You'd have a point TBF...

Nothing so complicated, I just think that the doomsayers have it absolutely right on this one, so arguments for optimism look as daft as Hannan’s. It made sense in my head, which is not a good test for whether something is worth posting, these days.

Nothing so complicated, I just think that the doomsayers have it absolutely right on this one, so arguments for optimism look as daft as Hannan’s. It made sense in my head, which is not a good test for whether something is worth posting, these days.
Next time ask yourself if it includes custard.

Good lord I've missed proper football.

In an odd way I'm massively jealous of those who can watch the NLD as a neutral, they do tend to be class games but beyond excruciating if you're involved (apart from our last time at theirs of course!).

It's not exactly an out there shout but Son and Richy are going to be huge this game, think L'arse defense are not going to enjoy playing against either.

Head says score draw 2 - 2, PEH and Son. Think Conte is going to have a draw at all costs mentality rather than going for it

I bet Romero comes back with a knock too
Whereas our mates down the road will have a full squad as most of their international players pulled out of the 2nd round of internationals
I reckon it’s mind game the deki thing
Not a peep about Hugo but this gets leaked….

Good summary. You missed the home crowd, they will give our players a torrid time, like our home supporters do for them. Stand up to that and we've got enough to get something from the game.
Expect the worst, hope for the best. COYS.

Only if they get the lead or on top, it's not the library for nothing. Tarquine and Roddy soon turn on them.

Hahahaha, love it, no, not was excellent I just wanted to be sure I understood in context. Love your work mate...

Last edited:
Only if they get the lead or on top, it's not the library for nothing. Tarquine and Roddy soon turn on them.
Their fans are toxic when it suits and delusional at others
I’ve never known them be the 12th man in all my times going there. It could because they are so faraway from the pitch although it’s not West Ham levels of course

This game is not a measure of how the season will pan out. It nearly always favours the home team and they have played home first vs us in 19 of the last 20 seasons I believe
The key for us is how ,any limits we get next month with 10 games including Europe
For us as fans it’s a huge game but for the players and Conte it’s a longer game to think about
That said, we will know very quickly what Tottenham has turned up
Arsenals first 11 is as good as they have had for some time but their bench IMO offers no game chances, especially with the few real injuries they have
Keep the game tight and make their fans nervous and it could be memorable

Let me try...Arse tend to deploy a 4-3-3. Their ideal set-up sees White/Saliba/Gabriel/Zinchenko supported by a deeper sitting Partey. Xhaka and Odegaard are the given those channels to roam and probe, with Martinelli, Jesus and Saka up top. It is clear, both from the talent and versatility of Jesus and Saka, that their forward line is very very strong if allowed to see the ball early. If, as expected, we play 3-4-3, we will be outnumbered in midfield, however as long as we allow that numerical advantage to Xhaka, and lock up Odegaard and Partey, that won't concern me. IF our forwards are doing the hard work and don't give their CBs time to find Partey easily, then it is an area we could exploit especially with Partey most likely only 85% fit if he plays at all. Xhaka on the ball is a liability. I think we will see a very roostery Arsenal look to take the game right to us and turn us over from the start (something similar to what Marseille did except obviously the quality differential will be much greater)...

...one thing the Marseille game showed (which was highly frustrating) is that we actually had a good 4 or 5 chances for quick, fast turnovers, but were let down by a lack of sharpness in technical execution. It was very frustrating. We cannot afford a similar lack of technical execution on Saturday, but if we are on it and sharp, believe me, Arsenal will leave plenty of fast turnover opportunities. Tomiyasu is OK as a RB but beatable, and let's face it, if the gift that is Holding plays, he will be petrified. I would absolutely start Sessegnon and Royal, both are strong and aggressive. Antonio's biggest selection headache is uptop. We are a better side with Deccy, no doubt, and Richy is a better player on the left. Sonny has to start, that is clear, as does Kane. The big decision is who comes off the bench, Deccy or Richy. Common sense says play Deccy, my gut feeling is that Richarlison is such a pest and such a menace that will simply not allow Arsenal to hit any pattern of play from the back early doors and will be a great disruptor.

A good attempt but I really feel that Conte will play with 5 in midfield for this game to stop us being outnumbered as we usually tend to be with just PEH and Bentancur there. I think this is the game to start Biss and not let them have any room at all in midfield to play their pretty patterns. The rest of the team virally picks itself if everyone is fit. That means Peresic to start with Royal on the right for physicality and defensive qualities.

My team would therefore be:

............................................lloris............................................

...........cuti............................Eric.....................Davies..................

Royal...............PEH................Biss..........Ben................Peresic

............................Kane..............Son..........................................

That leaves us with an incredibly strong bench should we need it. Sess, Doughety , Spence, Lenglet, Skipp, Kulu, Richi

Hopefully we won't need it but if we do, Conte must make swift subs to change tactics, formation and personnel who offer a different approach.

Son to take shootable free-kicks and Peresic to execute corners.

Play my way and we win 3-1. Play any other way and it really is in the lap of the Gods!

A good attempt but I really feel that Conte will play with 5 in midfield for this game to stop us being outnumbered as we usually tend to be with just PEH and Bentancur there. I think this is the game to start Biss and not let them have any room at all in midfield to play their pretty patterns. The rest of the team virally picks itself if everyone is fit. That means Peresic to start with Royal on the right for physicality and defensive qualities.

My team would therefore be:

............................................lloris............................................

...........cuti............................Eric.....................Davies..................

Royal...............PEH................Biss..........Ben................Peresic

............................Kane..............Son..........................................

That leaves us with an incredibly strong bench should we need it. Sess, Doughety , Spence, Lenglet, Skipp, Kulu, Richi

Hopefully we won't need it but if we do, Conte must make swift subs to change tactics, formation and personnel who offer a different approach.

Son to take shootable free-kicks and Peresic to execute corners.

Play my way and we win 3-1. Play any other way and it really is in the lap of the Gods!

I have come to agree that he will go 3-5-2 TBF…my one change to your line-up would be Sess starting with Perisic on the bench, but either way, yes, as the game gets close I find myself agreeing that 3-5-2 seems the logical choice in Deccy’s absence.

Proper derby day nerves, just glad to get it out of the way tbh.

Think the game will hinge on whether we take our chances, we will concede territory but if we keep it tight we will get clearer chances on the counter.

The dilemma for me, individual fitness concerns aside is the benefit of having Bissouma starting in a 3 against not having Richarlison start, as Kane and Son as great as they are offensively won't out any pressure on their defence in possession. If Kulu is out he may go with the 2 so we have the option to change it up, whereas if he is fit I wonder if he will stick with the 343 and have him on the bench to change the game as it opens up in the 2nd half.

I have come to agree that he will go 3-5-2 TBF…my one change to your line-up would be Sess starting with Perisic on the bench, but either way, yes, as the game gets close I find myself agreeing that 3-5-2 seems the logical choice in Deccy’s absence.

I don't disagree with you. It was a toss up between Sess and Peresic for me. I went for Peresic because he has a greater attacking threat and with the extra cover in midfield could help Kane and Son more in the Kulu type role linking defence with attack. Then using Sess' better defensive qualities and extra pace in the closing stages where defenders are tiring and gaps open up.

Back