• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Video Game Thread ***

Telltale Games do episodic games of various franchises. Sam&Max, Wallace&Gromit, King's Quest, Law&Order, CSI, Monkey Island and others. Only tried Sam&Max, puzzles combined with hilarious dialogue. One season had six episodes.

Oh yeah, I forgot about these. I only did Sam & Max as well (just the first season)... they weren't quite as charming as the original (but it did have high standards to live up to), but I thought the voice-acting was top-notch and the puzzles were mostly fun and challenging. King's Quest was another great series, although I started playing at KQVI (Heir today, Gone tomorrow).

If you like Adventure games then you may wanna try Amnesia-The Dark Descent... A new spin on the point and click adventure which see's it more interactive as you control the character in an FPS style. But this is no FPS! Probably the scariest most atmospheric game I've ever played (and I've not played much of it due to the fact it scares the brick out of me lol). I'm sure PC gamers have probably heard of this as it is a PC only game unfortunately, but you don't need a powerhouse to run it. Will probably run on a laptop I'd wager? But I strongly advise you try it, you've probably never played a game like it at all. For best effects play with headphones in a low light room ;)
Also by the same people is Penumbra, a similar game in a different setting but just as atmospheric and scary!

I assure you, what you see in this video is exactly how the game plays! It's all genuine in game footage!
[video=youtube;M627-obxNzg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M627-obxNzg[/video]

And Penumbra, a more modern setting yet still just as eery
[video=youtube;GAvQAkXqnUg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAvQAkXqnUg[/video]

And this is a new game on Steam, only ?ú6.99, called Dear Esther. Looks stunning visually for an Indy game. The detail of the world is very impressive. Looks as though it could be a similar game to the two above that I've mentioned but the video doesn't give away too much. Still for under a 10er I thinks it's worth a look.
[video=youtube;mYknEAEbOD8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYknEAEbOD8[/video]

I think the best way to view these games is that they are not games... More that they are experiences. I strongly recommend them to anyone who enjoys a thinking mans challenge and enjoys the Adventure type games but has an open mind to a different style

Haha, just installed Amnesia last week. Only played for about 10 minutes, but from what I've read it's a lot of hiding in closets and making sure you have some form of light to stay sane.

Yeah thats pretty much it, there's no killing or shooting or any of that. The aim is to avoid the "thing" as you have no weapons or anything, which all adds to the fear and the feeling of vulnerability. I've played bout an hour of it and it bricks me right up yet I've not even seen this monster or whatever it is I'm to avoid, but the creaks in the floorboards and the squeeky hinges on the doors, the heavy breathing of the character, etc. is what gets me!

I picked up a copy of PC GAMER magazine last night, don't really buy many mags these days as most info I've already seen on the internet. But they did have a review of Dear Esther and they gave it an impressive 84% considering it's an indy game that started life as a Half-Life 2 MOD. They say the developer wanted to create an experience where he got rid of all the guns and weapons and turned it into a story telling experience. I downloaded it yesterday as it came out on Valentines day (completely under the radar too, only noticed it by chance) so I've yet to try it out but it looks and sounds interesting

Diablo III moved to Q2 apparently

Wookie how much did you pay for your pre-order some time back? I think you might have scored a bargain

Played through Dear Esther last night and again this morning... It's only 1hr long! But it's not a game. It's hard to explain what it is really, you seem to just walk round this Island (it's not exactly freeroaming as your guided towards a certain route) whilst a narrater seems to read letters he has written to this Esther character. The only controls are to move, there's no other buttons for actions or anything as there are no actions... You simply walk this Island listening to these letters as a story seems to unfold. But the Island is beautiful!! The art that has gone into it is second to none, I've never seen a world so realistic that you almost feel you are there! The best way to understand this game, or experience as it is, would be to simply try for yourself. Have an open mind and understand before you dive into it that it's not a game, there's no challenge, no levels, no achievements... It's simply an experience. But one that made me want to play it through a 2nd time to better understand it myself.

Here's some images of how beautiful the level design is (just imagine the next Elder Scrolls looking like this!!)
esther0074-613x344.jpg

afbcaf566d33cf3daeee40c07d8f44ac.jpg

1329242079_89.jpg

012.jpg

And here is how it started life, as a Half-Life 2 MOD back in 2008. This before and after picture really shows how much work they put into the final version
comp_01.jpg

Thought I'd bump this thread for my fellow geeks and gamers on here ;)

Played the Mass Effect 3 demo today. Only played the multiplayer as i was intrigued how it would work (plus didn't wanna risk any spoilers playing the singleplayer as I've not finished Mass Effect 2 yet).

Was pleasantly suprised actually. There was no player vs player mode, just a kind of co-op survival mode where you work together taking on waves of enemies that increase in strength/diffulty each wave. Sounds simple enough and thats the beauty of ut really... Just dive straight in and start shooting brick!
Got a few classes to choose from and you can earn XP to upgrade each class also you earn money which can buy randomly generated perk/weapon packs (much like how you buy player oacks on FIFA Ultimate team... Works the same way).

Probably won't buy this on release as i haven't finished Mass Effect 2 and the saved game was on my Xbox that I sold a while ago... So need to get it on PC and start again before I get number 3.

Also saw the latest video for Ghost Recon: Future Soldier on Youtube. It looks great so far, will post a vid tomorrow sometime as im using my phone to post this

Good shout edgey! The ME3 multiplayer reminds me of gears of war horde mode. It's got the 3rd person cover-based gameplay. During some of the waves, there are objectives that need to be accomplished.

I wish weapons upgraded based on how much you used them and not some random drop from the packs you can buy. Overall, it's pretty fun. I'm curious to see how player versus player will work, especially with all the cool biotic abilities.

Saw something today about the people behind 'Dear Esther' being hired to the a sequel to 'Amnesia'.

For anyone that hasn't played Machnarium. Amanita are a point and click designer with beautiful design... The first time in a long time that I felt I was playing something "different"

http://amanita-design.net/

I got this a while back in a steam sale... Played for an hr and got stuck then my attention was diverted to sonething else and i never went back. So will probably give it a 2nd chance soon

Here's some "big" news for those of you interested in Diablo III (seemed to be a fair bit of you), a release date is imminent. I can't see them pushing the game back any further, but at least we will soon know WHEN we can finally expect to start playing.

New Medal Of Honour game in the making, using the same Frostbite 2 engine used by Battlefield 3!! Heard tho that it's to be a reboot rather than a sequal?? Does this mean games are going the same direction as films in that we'll start seeing reboots rather than sequals (meaning writers too lazy to carry on a plot from where it left off and instead just rewrite a whole new one). Don't mind if they reboot some classics tho... Bring them into the current gen. So long as it's done well

Batman Arkham City is only ?ú18 on play.com today, just picked it up for the 360.

Awesome game!! Picked mine up for PC in the Steam Christmas Sale... Completed the story but hardly scratched the surface of the Riddler Challenges! Plus still a fair few Riddler Trophies to find too!

Been playing ArmA 2 again recently. Great military sim for all you PC owners out there who long for a little more realism than MW3 and BF3. Can be picked up fairly cheap nowadays (especially with ArmA 3 on it's way this year hopefully) and I do believe there's a free-to-play version available too?? Well worth a punt. Has a bit of a learning curve but it's very satisfying when you start completing missions and getting the hang of it. Also Online is fantastic if you can get a server with enough players!

Here's a little taste of the online play. Multiplayer Co-op missions are great if you can get the players together:

[video=youtube;Y0Lg0NEFBrI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0Lg0NEFBrI[/video]

And here's a video of the upcoming ArmA 3:

[video=youtube;bz9mIgaBmU8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz9mIgaBmU8[/video]

It certainly does... Seen a few trailers and gameplay vids which has got me excited bout this one! Not sure on the release date tho, mid year hopefully... Not too late

Back