• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official TV Thread ***

I love sci-fi. Enjoy reading William Gibson, Neil Stephenson. Currently digging The Expanse, now about to begin it's third season, and the new Star Trek.

Fell asleep watching Episode 1 of AC. Clearly, some good ideas behind it all and pretty cool visuals. Dialogue just made me nap. I'll give it another shot.
The Expanse is the best sci-fi Show I’ve watched since the reimagined Battlestar Galactica.

Also watching Star Trek Discovery and The Orville is good fun imo.

I love sci-fi. Enjoy reading William Gibson, Neil Stephenson. Currently digging The Expanse, now about to begin it's third season, and the new Star Trek.

Fell asleep watching Episode 1 of AC. Clearly, some good ideas behind it all and pretty cool visuals. Dialogue just made me nap. I'll give it another shot.

Havent started the expanse yet, but am looking forward to it.

AC is most definitely a style over substance thing. The story just gets silly in the last few episodes. And Kinnaman just doesnt bring enough to the table to show the complexity that was written into his character.

That said, the production is excellent, some of the supporting work is good, and theres lots of tits and violence.

So if you go in expecting something glossy and trashy youll probably enjoy it, just dont expect anything more.

Which is a shame because I feel like it had potential to be pretty damn good.

The Expanse is the best sci-fi Show I’ve watched since the reimagined Battlestar Galactica.

Battlestar was brilliant, loved it at the time - bit it really hasnt aged well.

Great new crime show here in Canada called Cardinal. Good plots, great camera work especially drone shots to set up scenes. Second season about to end this week. Only six hour-long episodes per season, so, easy to catch up on:

https://www.ctv.ca/Cardinal/Episode-Guide

Set in mythical town of Algonquin Bay and they use Sudbury and North Bay - big towns about three hours or so north of Toronto - for shooting locales. Title character is Det. John Cardinal, good cop, troubled past, has to find nasty villains killing people. First season is set in dead of winter and second is set in blackfly season, late spring.

Great new crime show here in Canada called Cardinal. Good plots, great camera work especially drone shots to set up scenes. Second season about to end this week. Only six hour-long episodes per season, so, easy to catch up on:

https://www.ctv.ca/Cardinal/Episode-Guide

Set in mythical town of Algonquin Bay and they use Sudbury and North Bay - big towns about three hours or so north of Toronto - for shooting locales. Title character is Det. John Cardinal, good cop, troubled past, has to find nasty villains killing people. First season is set in dead of winter and second is set in blackfly season, late spring.

Liked the first season. Good call

For sci-fi fans, exciting news is that Denis Villeneuve is directing the next re-make of Dune, Frank Herbert's spicey space classic. Sure, it's a proper movie, but it'll end up on TV someday.

Villeneuve did the latest Blade Runner film and industry insider buzz - my daughter works in film production in Montreal - is that there's something quite special in the works. Hope so. David Lynch's effort was unintentionally funny. If you haven't seen the documentary Jodorowsky's Dune, try to find it. Fascinating look at the attempts of a charmingly obsessed director's attempt - with Ridley Scott - to create an adaptation back in the '70s. It's only now that the technology exists to give this epic story everything it needs to be told properly.

Liked the first season. Good call

Second one is pretty good two and they've signed on for two more seasons.

In that first season, I kept noticing how craftily they expressed emotions by using breath vapour in scenes set outdoors in the dead of winter or in abandoned houses.

..film and industry insider buzz - my daughter works in film production in Montreal - is that there's something quite special in the works.

Not to discredit her at all, I suspect theres an element of Villeneuve + Dune = "special", Im not sure the buzz is necessarily warranted based on whats actually happening.

Its a director how is an absolute darling of hollywood right now, and a property that everyone is desperate for a good adaptation of.

Dont get me wrong, I certainly hope its a winner - and it looks like a good combo to me - just pointing out the "buzz" was always going to be positive given the ingredients...

We all hope this edition of Dune works. My daughter gets to actually have hands, eyes and ears on whatever tangible evidence presently exists. She's bound by confidentiality clauses, but being in amongst the nuts and bolts of early production efforts, she's looking at a lot more than media chat. I trust her judgment. She told us not to waste money on Alien Convenant {first time I haven't seen one of that series on a big screen).

Interesting tidbit from that flick. There's a jungle chase sequence that runs about 10 minutes and the entire scene was shot on green screen, with the alien planet terrain added digitally. The digital work was shipped out to a team of virtual artists in India and it took them several weeks to complete. Someone in the company crunched the man hours and concluded that if one person had done this work, putting in an eight-hour day for 50 weeks a year, it would have taken that person almost 30 years to complete.

Have to say with Discovery it is very close in places to how Mass Effect Andromeda was designed, thankfully without the tinkle poor script, and it was putting me off for the first few episodes (christ, even the way she runs is as bad as the game animations..) but I'm waiting for the last episode to air and it can't happen soon enough. Brilliant series from about ep5/6 and glad I stuck with it.

Orville was really good fun too, some proper laugh out loud moments :D

Back