• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

* Official Pre-Season Games Thread *

I'm sure there is a debate to be had about how this should be done. I'm in no way qualified to participate.

I can only assume that AVB has brought in people he trusts that will do well for the club. If those people and Verheijen had a written exchange of letters about this maybe it would make for interesting reading. Then again, maybe not.

I'm in no way qualified neither. I think we might be misinterpreting players comments, and coming to the conclusion they're being trained hard.

I'm in no way qualified neither. I think we might be misinterpreting players comments, and coming to the conclusion they're being trained hard.

I thought this. but then i wondered how fit the players were after being out.

So it could be that they're tired after being trained the right amount. It's impossible to tell without being there.

I think way more is being made of this than it deserves. Of course players shouldn't be subjected to some sort of extreme training regime the moment they return from holiday. But there's no indication that is happening. The only indication is that some players are pretty tired after their first day back. Which is exactly how it should be. After over a month of rest, the players should feel like they've had a good workout on their first day back. These aren't elderly overweight couch-potatoes, they're young professional athletes... if they're not out-of-breath by the end of a day's work, then something's very wrong.

Oh, and I'm quite sure that Verheijen guy is always criticizing other clubs and their fitness regimes on twitter and in the media to raise his own profile and possibly get a better job either now or some way down the line.

He was actually the fitness coach for Russia during the Euros and after an impressive opening game they looked no better or worse than other teams in the 2nd round and rather fudged in their last game so not sure if his ways are all that much better.

If we should listen to someone outside the club it should be that old French ex-arsenal coach that Defoe had individual sessions with last summer. Arsenal were among the fittest teams in the league when he was there I think and Defoe looked a new man after working with him last summer.

I think way more is being made of this than it deserves. Of course players shouldn't be subjected to some sort of extreme training regime the moment they return from holiday. But there's no indication that is happening. The only indication is that some players are pretty tired after their first day back. Which is exactly how it should be. After over a month of rest, the players should feel like they've had a good workout on their first day back. These aren't elderly overweight couch-potatoes, they're young professional athletes... if they're not out-of-breath by the end of a day's work, then something's very wrong.

they are tired after kicking the ball around for a few hours

i feel so sorry for them

I started training three times a week with a personal trainer about a year ago.

The first session, I was shocked by how much he was asking me to do and I was sick long before the scheduled end.

The second session, I was slightly more prepared for the workload but still a bit shocked. I was sick at the end of the session.

The third session, I was prepared for what I was put through but I was still nearly sick.

The fourth session still hurt but I got through it without the nausea rising.

Now, a year later, I get through twice as much. It's still hard work but I don't feel sick.

If he gave me the same routine that he gave me a year ago, it would be a doddle. I would do it in half the time without breaking a sweat.

The point is, what this Verheijen fella seems not to have taken into account is that the players are always likely to find the first week or so of pre season training especially tiring - not because the workload is especially onerous but rather because they are not yet up to full fitness. Duh!

I guess it is also a careful balance between fitness and tactics.

The quicker you can get your fitness regimes out the way, the quicker you can focus on other areas.

(As long as it doesn't significantly increase the risk to the players well-being ofc)

Chemnitzer - Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Al Hilal - Emirates Marketing Project tonight. The latter should be on a river somewhere from 7pm. Lyon-Athletic Bilbao and Benfica-Marseille also available.

It's a bit odd that the pre season fixtures are to be found in a Sun article but not on the OS, the first game against Stevenage is not too far away yet it's not listed, am I being an idiot?

a real lack of pics from pre season training for the last few days....disappointing

481895_10150974131053505_815384690_n.jpg

293698_10150974130893505_686946216_n.jpg

600015_10150974130718505_221863283_n.jpg

524030_10150974130588505_241514442_n.jpg

This will probably seem like a stupid question, but, what players are in the XI team? Because i've just seen they're playing my local team Monday and was thinking of popping down. Was just wondering if it were the academy players?

This will probably seem like a stupid question, but, what players are in the XI team? Because i've just seen they're playing my local team Monday and was thinking of popping down. Was just wondering if it were the academy players?

Difficult to say for certain mate. Usually its a mix of young pros and players who need a game. Bearing in mind we still have players on hols it may be more younger players with the rest at Stevenage. Expect Falque, Townsend, Obika and the like. If you're "lucky" you might see Huddlestone, Jenas, Bentley, Naughton etc.

Alright! Cheers lads, might have to pop down to the stadium and watch the match then! Only £7 for an adult.... So I'm set!Thanks again for the help :)

i like the fact that AVB is in the thick of it. Brad Friedel always looks and sounds positive. makes me want to do yoga if i weren't such a fat fudge.

Back