• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Film Thread ***

The Michael Caine one?
Great performances, reprehensible characters.

Yeh, utterly awful character. Maybe seeing it through different eyes as I get older but its a hard watch for me now. kicks pregnant bird to curb, coat hanger job for another, and countless others haha. I know its not literal and films are films but watching it I just thought "fudge me this is terrible".....

Well filmed bit of cinema though

Yeh, utterly awful character. Maybe seeing it through different eyes as I get older but its a hard watch for me now. kicks pregnant bird to curb, coat hanger job for another, and countless others haha. I know its not literal and films are films but watching it I just thought "fudge me this is terrible".....

Well filmed bit of cinema though

One that age will definitely alter your view.
Jack the lad aiming charm any bird he wants out her pants we see him as a role model.
A more mature person will see him as the despicable rogue he really is.
Love Michael Caine, this is one of his best performances and I have it on disc, but it’s not a film I rush to watch.

One that age will definitely alter your view.
Jack the lad aiming charm any bird he wants out her pants we see him as a role model.
A more mature person will see him as the despicable rogue he really is.
Love Michael Caine, this is one of his best performances and I have it on disc, but it’s not a film I rush to watch.

Yeh exactly I can see and appreciate that for sure. I have not watched it in ages either so realised more now how much of an arsehole he was haha.

Been in a real broad spectrum of films has old MC, some great, some terrible, some great films where he is terrible, some bad where he is actually good. I think he famously said something about how he saw scripts as holiday homes and extensions to his house in the end

Watching Dunkirk whilst ignoring a work proposal and I am sure when the plane flies past Dunkirk on its final ditch the people below are tourists waving, just looks like too many people in too many different colours to be army. I reckon they have forgotten the edit

Zack Snyder's career has been a car crash since Watchmen. His first 3 films were really promising, but its been a disaster after those.

He has this mysteriously cultish fanbase that are convinced that it's never his fault that the films are total brick and the directors cut is a work of art but is either never available or comes out years later when nobody cares and it still being mediocre anyways.

Watchmen was brilliant though, but I am one who hasn't read the graphic novel although I did get it for Christmas.

Going back to the days of quality DC films like Sin City + V for Vendetta before the disastrous attempt at a cinematic universe, flop after flop with loads of wrong uns cast in major roles....

Saw The Boy and the Heron at the cinema last night, now that's an adventure story. Nice to get away from the identikit super hero adventure which is wholly unadventurous.

Noticed that it’s going to be showing in IMAX this weekend, might’ve to make my first visit to cinema of 2024.

Saw The Boy and the Heron at the cinema last night, now that's an adventure story. Nice to get away from the identikit super hero adventure which is wholly unadventurous.

Saw it today.

I fell in love with every other Gibli film I've seen immediately, even got a tattoo based on some artwork not that that means a whole lot but my point is I adore those films.

But I walked away feeling kind of perplexed with this one. Maybe it's my intelligence but I didn't understand what the fu k happened, who the heron was or it's purpose or why there were young versions of people like one of the grannies who's job it was to catch and hit massive fish for the lil floaty ghosts in another world that was hidden behind a door. Or why he hit himself with the rock?

I wanted to love it and will totally give it another watch after some research. Seems to be based on folklore that I'm totally unfamiliar with but I didn't pick up the themes whatsoever. After the first 10 minutes I was thinking it was going to be a heart braking grave of the fireflies type film but the main emotion I had throughout was more just like "huh?" rather than feeling anything.

It possibly didn't help that the sound production is rather sparse and that meant the kids in the screening rustling sweet wrappers the whole way through was killing any immersive effect of the film...

Saw it today.

I fell in love with every other Gibli film I've seen immediately, even got a tattoo based on some artwork not that that means a whole lot but my point is I adore those films.

But I walked away feeling kind of perplexed with this one. Maybe it's my intelligence but I didn't understand what the fu k happened, who the heron was or it's purpose or why there were young versions of people like one of the grannies who's job it was to catch and hit massive fish for the lil floaty ghosts in another world that was hidden behind a door. Or why he hit himself with the rock?

I wanted to love it and will totally give it another watch after some research. Seems to be based on folklore that I'm totally unfamiliar with but I didn't pick up the themes whatsoever. After the first 10 minutes I was thinking it was going to be a heart braking grave of the fireflies type film but the main emotion I had throughout was more just like "huh?" rather than feeling anything.

It possibly didn't help that the sound production is rather sparse and that meant the kids in the screening rustling sweet wrappers the whole way through was killing any immersive effect of the film...
This was my first film watched from the studio so I'm sure that made our experiences very different. I missed a plot point early on that would have made the film much easier to understand. Didn't really mind being lost in it though. Would have preferred to have Japanese with subtitles, think that would have made it clearer than dubbing. Looking online afterwards some were saying this plot point was explicitly stated (my dad also said this) whilst others said it was just the bit where the boy narrates 'she looks exactly like mum' or whatever... Sorry I don't know how to put spoilers in otherwise I'd explain in more detail!

What would be your top films to watch from them?
I have seen a few, and would like to expand that

Top ones for me would be Grave of the fireflies (just don't expect light hearted fun if you haven't seen it) , Princess Mononoke and Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind for the connection to nature vibes, Howls moving castle and Spirited away for world building and immersion. I also love my neighbor Tororo but that one especially isn't quite as deep to me as the others, it's a bit more of just a fun kids film kinda thing.

The above is just probably a list of the biggest films they've released so not many surprises in there, some love and swear by Porco Rosso but I didn't get in to it but could be due another re watch. There's another one I cannot remember the name of but will get back to you if I remember it!

Last edited:
This was my first film watched from the studio so I'm sure that made our experiences very different. I missed a plot point early on that would have made the film much easier to understand. Didn't really mind being lost in it though. Would have preferred to have Japanese with subtitles, think that would have made it clearer than dubbing. Looking online afterwards some were saying this plot point was explicitly stated (my dad also said this) whilst others said it was just the bit where the boy narrates 'she looks exactly like mum' or whatever... Sorry I don't know how to put spoilers in otherwise I'd explain in more detail!

Yeah I was wary of not spoiling anything as well but I think I get what you mean.

I believe the you put the word spoiler in these brackets [ ] at the start and then again where you finish the spoiler but with a / before the s

So the fire witch lady was in fact his mum but a younger version of her right? I just don't get that, seems a bit multiverse- y but maybe I missed some important details about the great uncle who was the master / wizard dude and how it all tied together.

I watched the dubbed version but may have a go at the subtitled after a bit of reading up

In terms of animation and sound design it was beautiful but for some reason I didn't find myself lost in it as you say.... Followed up with a disappointing meal out at an all you can eat buffet, which is great as a veggie as long as you're happy to mainly just binge on Spring rolls and stir fried mushrooms and chips but that moan is for a different thread!

Great hearing Mark Hamill as well, tremendous voice actor. The cast for the dubbed version really is something. But yeah, still just an odd feeling about the film as a whole...

Yeah I was wary of not spoiling anything as well but I think I get what you mean.

I believe the you put the word spoiler in these brackets [ ] at the start and then again where you finish the spoiler but with a / before the s

So the fire witch lady was in fact his mum but a younger version of her right? I just don't get that, seems a bit multiverse- y but maybe I missed some important details about the great uncle who was the master / wizard dude and how it all tied together.

I watched the dubbed version but may have a go at the subtitled after a bit of reading up

In terms of animation and sound design it was beautiful but for some reason I didn't find myself lost in it as you say.... Followed up with a disappointing meal out at an all you can eat buffet, which is great as a veggie as long as you're happy to mainly just binge on Spring rolls and stir fried mushrooms and chips but that moan is for a different thread!

Great hearing Mark Hamill as well, tremendous voice actor. The cast for the dubbed version really is something. But yeah, still just an odd feeling about the film as a whole...
The plot point I missed was that the step mum was his aunt, the sister of his mum.

Saw it today.

I think the 2 key things to know are:

1) Its autobiographical. Miyazaki sees himself as the old uncle guy, and the film is about how he is self-critical of his legacy, but takes solace if his work has been able to help comfort bereaved and troubled kids (the kid in the film who discovered his magical world is supposed to represent the collective Ghibli audiences).

2) The step-mum and aunt are the same person, and confusingly the kid calls that character 'mum', even when his real mother is there too. So basically the father shacked up with his ex-wife's sister. That's not a spoiler, its just a bit confusing

Its a more complex and challenging film than some of his, but i still though it was excellent

Back