• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Film Thread ***

Anyone else find it ironic that Barbie, a film about the patriarchy was nominated for best supporting actor but not for the main female lead or for the director who is female? Does seem a little odd given how successful the film was and how Barbenheimer brought people back to the cinema (I’d never seen my cinema so busy in my life!) but I’d like to think they just nominated the 5 directors and actresses who they thought were the best rather than anything sinister going on. And for the record they did nominate a woman (Justine Triet) for best director for Anatomy of a Fall.

Anyone else find it ironic that Barbie, a film about the patriarchy was nominated for best supporting actor but not for the main female lead or for the director who is female? Does seem a little odd given how successful the film was and how Barbenheimer brought people back to the cinema (I’d never seen my cinema so busy in my life!) but I’d like to think they just nominated the 5 directors and actresses who they thought were the best rather than anything sinister going on. And for the record they did nominate a woman (Justine Triet) for best director for Anatomy of a Fall.

I actually find it odd it was nominated for anything. Other than the bits in Barbieland I didn't think it was particularly good. Some of the real world scenes had the look and feel of a made for television movie.

Looking at winners and nominees over the last few years, quality has really dropped. Haven't even heard of many of them and of those I've seen there have been some real stinkers. Twenty or even ten years ago they were mostly all great.

Reactions: jrh
I actually find it odd it was nominated for anything. Other than the bits in Barbieland I didn't think it was particularly good. Some of the real world scenes had the look and feel of a made for television movie.

Looking at winners and nominees over the last few years, quality has really dropped. Haven't even heard of many of them and of those I've seen there have been some real stinkers. Twenty or even ten years ago they were mostly all great.

Tbh I fell asleep in the cinema not because I didn’t enjoy it, I fall asleep during most films. What I saw of it I liked it even if it was a bit feminist. The academy almost always nominates films that do well at the box office and given how cinemas have struggled since Covid and Barbie brought people back I’m not surprised it was nominated for best picture.

I agree the standard has declined. I also think they are out of touch with what the film going public at large like and go to see.

Tbh I fell asleep in the cinema not because I didn’t enjoy it, I fall asleep during most films. What I saw of it I liked it even if it was a bit feminist. The academy almost always nominates films that do well at the box office and given how cinemas have struggled since Covid and Barbie brought people back I’m not surprised it was nominated for best picture.

I agree the standard has declined. I also think they are out of touch with what the film going public at large like and go to see.

This is such a funny sentence.

After watching Schindler's list did you say if was good even if it was a bit anti fascist, or after 12 years a slave you liked it even if it was a bit anti slavery?

You've marked feminism as a bad thing, what is it about striving for equality that grinds your gears? Like with "woke", it's like you've completely bought in to the scary daily mail version of the word. It's funny, it only takes the mere mention or hint of patriarchy and blokes clench up and immediately go on the defensive because they feel personally attacked when it's just an observation of history.

Not trying to have a go or argue, but can you see how that sentence I bolded could be considered a bit off the mark? Given the use of "even" it's hard to assume anything other than you considering feminism to be a problem.

The word can be triggering to those who don't understand what it means, if it had just been called peopleism there's a lot of people who wouldn't get so bent out of shape about it...

Just reading Oliver Stone’s comments about Barbie and The Fast and Furious franchise among other things, but he also said he watched John Wick 4 on the plane and fell asleep 778 times and kept waking up having to face John Wick killing more people. I love the John Wick films and Stone has gone off the deep end recently with his love for Putin but that comment did make me chuckle.

I'd find it absolutely hilarious if the only Oscar that Barbie gets is for Ryan Gosling.
For all the shrieking recently, can people say that Margot Robbie's acting in the film was Oscar-worthy. Compared to the rest of the contenders?

Let me guess the plot of Dogtooth; a dog fudges a pig which spawns a rabbit who then goes down on a human? Probably not weird enough for that director.
Much worse. A horrendous man locks his 3 adult kids in the house and won't let them out into the world until their right canine falls out. Lots of incest. Lots of beatings. Just horrible. Loads of dialogue in Greek. In the end one of the kids
smashes herself in the face over and over and over and over until her tooth comes out

I'd find it absolutely hilarious if the only Oscar that Barbie gets is for Ryan Gosling.
For all the shrieking recently, can people say that Margot Robbie's acting in the film was Oscar-worthy. Compared to the rest of the contenders?
I thinks its Greta Gerwig not getting a director nomination over the Zone of Interest guy which is much more the contentious one

Watched The Favourite again last night, even better than I remember it the first time. There are some cracking lines in that movie. Some of the cinematography reminds me of Clockwork Orange, some of the soundtrack The Shining.

Watched the baader meinhof complex last night, by fudge the 70s were mental.

Next on the list is the lives of others, east German stasi movie. Looking forward to that one.

Watched the Kitchen on netflix
had high expectations as the style and subject matter could be brilliant
Alas it was boring and didnt go anywhere

Back