• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Film Thread ***

Yes, but it does depend on what you have, and what you want. Do you have an A/V set up just now?
Bang for buck they knock spots off a tv imo.
I paid 2k for 55inch Samsung tv with loads of crap I don't use. It's ok, nothing special. Sound is pants on it.
I only bought it because we moved into a rental for 18 months while looked for a bigger house, I couldn't hang the screen in the rental.

For the same, or depending on your haggling skills less money, you can buy a PJ, screen, receiver, and decent 5.1 speaker set.
Trust me, there is no comparison.
You don't need a huge or totally dark room anymore. Yes for movies the darker the better, but it's not essential.

Best bet is take an hour out your day and go to your local A/V dealer, I'm sure there'll be sevenoaks or richer sounds near you, and ask for a demo. Take a movie you're familiar with and ask them if you can view it.
If you are in to Computer games its great to play these on 90+ inches, especially when you think back to having a black and white 9 inch TV that you couldn't tell the difference between teams playing roller ball.

If you are in to Computer games its great to play these on 90+ inches, especially when you think back to having a black and white 9 inch TV that you couldn't tell the difference between teams playing roller ball.

Oh yeah, played the alien game last year, awesome. Nearly pooped my pants a few time:oops:

Im building a house and have one room tagged for a projector setup. I'm sure i won't able to afford a projector when it is done but maybe a little bit down the road. I know very little about it but want to have the room wired properly for when it does happen. I'll be back for advice later .
The actual PJ can be very cheap, it's what you need to connect it to that can spiral out of control.
The good/bad thing about A/V equipment is that its very easy to start fairly cheap and incrementally upgrade.
Also there's good resale value on eBay for your old kit. I've twice made a profit on receivers, buying them at the right time, getting 18 months use out them and selling them on eBay.
I've also got a top of the range blu ray player I can't get rid off now because it's not 3d. Cost me £500, can't get £100 for it.

War for the POTA this Saturday afternoon. Looking forward to this baby

I watched War for the Planet of the Apes up local Cineworld Superscreen (4K projector with Dolby Atmos surround sound) last night and really enjoyed it. Not quite as engrossing a story as Rise but better than Dawn imho, the CGI really is incredible.

I watched War for the Planet of the Apes up local Cineworld Superscreen (4K projector with Dolby Atmos surround sound) last night and really enjoyed it. Not quite as engrossing a story as Rise but better than Dawn imho, the CGI really is incredible.

Cheers. Looking forward to this. Always loved the whole POTA thing from the 1968 film then the TV series with the superb Roddy McDowall, so these reboots have been great for me. And with the news they made do further films to bridge the gap between this one and the original film is top for me

My tip: Don't decorate until you've run your speaker cables.

I had my place decorated before we moved in and now I've got to dig out channels for cables and get the decorator back in to make it look good again. Big mistake.
Still a long way from decorating (foundations are just gone in), but my intention was to decide the speaker location (high up in every corner I guess ??) and run pvc ducting out from a central spot. Something similar regarding ducting for the projector too which will be on the ceiling, so all the wires will be hidden. That is the plan anyway.

Still a long way from decorating (foundations are just gone in), but my intention was to decide the speaker location (high up in every corner I guess ??) and run pvc ducting out from a central spot. Something similar regarding ducting for the projector too which will be on the ceiling, so all the wires will be hidden. That is the plan anyway.
Classy.

Ideally you want the speakers to be at, or slightly above, head height when sat.

If you're having a screen you have two optimal options. Have a screen made of sound-transparent material like spandex. This means you can put your front speakers behind the screen and it all looks lovely and tidy. Or you should have your centre just below the screen (in the middle obv) and your left/right just to the sides around halfway up the screen.

You can probably get away with the left and right being high, but if the centre is too far from people's mouths on screen then dialog just feels really weird. You won't be able to put your finger on what's wrong but it'll feel weird watching it.

Oh, and for the projector, as it's on the ceiling, consider running all the cables through the floor above.

Do you have a speaker configuration in mind, 5.1, 7.2.1 etc? Or a make and model in mind?
If it's a total building project starting from scratch you have a great opportunity to get a lot right from the beginning.

Ideally you want the speakers to be at, or slightly above, head height when sat.

If you're having a screen you have two optimal options. Have a screen made of sound-transparent material like spandex. This means you can put your front speakers behind the screen and it all looks lovely and tidy. Or you should have your centre just below the screen (in the middle obv) and your left/right just to the sides around halfway up the screen.

You can probably get away with the left and right being high, but if the centre is too far from people's mouths on screen then dialog just feels really weird. You won't be able to put your finger on what's wrong but it'll feel weird watching it.
Gotya. I guess the same goes for the rear speakers also, not too high?

Do you have a speaker configuration in mind, 5.1, 7.2.1 etc? Or a make and model in mind?
If it's a total building project starting from scratch you have a great opportunity to get a lot right from the beginning.
Not really. It is blank canvass as of now.

I have a Sony rig I bought some time ago which has 5.1 theatre function/output. I use it for music only now but had in mind to connect it up for this. How I'll do that is something I haven't really thought about too much yet. I was thinking of an Nvidia Shield Pro as the signal source/media server.

As you can see I haven't really researched this too much :oops:.

Gotya. I guess the same goes for the rear speakers also, not too high?
Rear speakers are better above head height (high is ok as it's effects only) unless you're going for atmos. If you want Atmos (would need a new amp and two extra speakers) then they should be ear height

Oh, and for the projector, as it's on the ceiling, consider running all the cables through the floor above.
Yep. I'll bury some ducting up there and socket.

I guess I need to consider the exact location of the projector on the ceiling. The ceilings are relatively high (3m+). Would this screw the angle of projection or can it be compensated for?
Is there an optimal distance from the wall to the projector or where can I read up on this?

My brain is beginning to melt.

Yep. I'll bury some ducting up there and socket.

I guess I need to consider the exact location of the projector on the ceiling. The ceilings are relatively high (3m+). Would this screw the angle of projection or can it be compensated for?
Is there an optimal distance from the wall to the projector or where can I read up on this?

My brain is beginning to melt.
There is, but it helps if you've chosen your projector first. http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-W1110-projection-calculator-pro.htm You can change your model and see the options here

The projector mount can be of adjustable height, or you can get a projector with vertical lens shift, which means you just turn a knob and it moves the image up and down.

Back