• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Film Thread ***

Guardians was atmos, but when I asked at the desk on the way in if the cinema was atmos equipped I just got blank look and a shrug of the shoulders.
Tbh I only went because a topic on avforums was comparing screen sizes (oh er) .
Can't even remember what the last movie I went to was before that, might have been the last batman. That was pre atmos, but I do Remember that it was very harsh on the old ears.

Guardians was atmos, but when I asked at the desk on the way in if the cinema was atmos equipped I just got blank look and a shrug of the shoulders.
Tbh I only went because a topic on avforums was comparing screen sizes (oh er) .
Can't even remember what the last movie I went to was before that, might have been the last batman. That was pre atmos, but I do Remember that it was very harsh on the old ears.
You watched GotG2 in the IMAX screen but that auditorium had Dolby Atmos sound system?!

I saw it at local Cineworld IMAX and thought the 3D was fantastic :cool: However, even on that modestly sized screen I notice a screendoor effect if I don't sit in the back few rows. So I can imagine how bad it must be on the gigantic screen at Glasgow Science Centre, since Cineworld replaced the 70mm projector with the same bog standard 2K Digital IMAX version found at multiplexes :oops:

Batman v Superman was ridiculously loud, I remember having a headache after sitting through that!

I don't have a dedicated cinema room so everything has to be high on the WAF.

So I've just bought a Kef T105 set for the main sound, a 92" manual retract screen (until the budget allows for a good auto one) and the Benq W1110s. That seems like a good compromise between price and quality considering 4K projectors will be coming down in price over the next few years.

My amp is a little old and doesn't do atmos (which I want for the height), so when I upgrade that I'll be getting a couple of Ci3-80QTs to keep in with the WAF.

I've been tempted to get one of those BenQ projectors for the living room, having recently upgraded to a Denon X2300 Atmos capable amp with Cambridge Audio Minx speakers.

However I can't help thinking that I could spend those £hundreds on dozens of trips to the IMAX or newly opened (4K and Atmos equipped) Superscreen at my local megaplex; thankfully the uplift to watch movies in those premium auditoriums seems to deter the riff-raff that might otherwise sully my evening.

You watched GotG2 in the IMAX screen but that auditorium had Dolby Atmos sound system?!

I saw it at local Cineworld IMAX and thought the 3D was fantastic :cool: However, even on that modestly sized screen I notice a screendoor effect if I don't sit in the back few rows. So I can imagine how bad it must be on the gigantic screen at Glasgow Science Centre, since Cineworld replaced the 70mm projector with the same bog standard 2K Digital IMAX version found at multiplexes :oops:

Batman v Superman was ridiculously loud, I remember having a headache after sitting through that!
It was gotg 1, atmos was still fairly new then. The 3d was ok, the bigger the screen the more flaws it shows up and in my experience once you get over the wow factor 3d is often not that great.
Loud can be good, but if it's like the last batman trilogy, which imo was like grinding metal, then no it's not fun.
Sound is very subjective but you really should be able to feel the bass with your feet in a cinema. It's all way to high now for my ears.

I've been tempted to get one of those BenQ projectors for the living room, having recently upgraded to a Denon X2300 Atmos capable amp with Cambridge Audio Minx speakers.

However I can't help thinking that I could spend those £hundreds on dozens of trips to the IMAX or newly opened (4K and Atmos equipped) Superscreen at my local megaplex; thankfully the uplift to watch movies in those premium auditoriums seems to deter the riff-raff that might otherwise sully my evening.
Ah but you can't watch the glorious spurs in the CL final at the local flea pit.:)

Very nice.

What's the viewing like when not completely blacked out? I've intentionally chosen a "bright" projector so that I can watch football without having to go full cinema in the room.
It's fine for casual viewing in a dim room, a light pal of curtains is ample.
Obviously best results for a movie you want it dark, but it doesn't need to be blackout for a great result.

That's a nice amp - probably my choice when I go to Atmos. Problem is, my trusty old Yamaha has been with me forever (since HD audio codecs, anyway) and I think it would take me some time to get used to any other sound.

It was gotg 1, atmos was still fairly new then. The 3d was ok, the bigger the screen the more flaws it shows up and in my experience once you get over the wow factor 3d is often not that great.
Loud can be good, but if it's like the last batman trilogy, which imo was like grinding metal, then no it's not fun.
Sound is very subjective but you really should be able to feel the bass with your feet in a cinema. It's all way to high now for my ears.

The problem is that most multiplexes are still running the same 2K projectors that they swapped to when 35mm was phased out a decade or so ago. So 2D movies on large screens look as bad as watching a SD content on a >50" telly and 3D is invariably dull due to the old xenon bulbs not chucking out enough lumens to compensate for the polarising shades.

Hence why I invariably opt for the Superscreen at local Cineworld or ISENSE at Odeon, which at least have modern 4K projectors.

Although I'm hoping that Odeon (since they recently got purchased by AMC) will soon start rolling out the new Dolby Cinema system; that uses dual 4K Laser HDR projectors with quad subwoofers plus transducers in each seat to ensure the bass is visceral!

Last edited:
@glasgowspur do you have any tips on replacing bulbs? I've got an Epsom projector and there's a wide variety of replacement online, ranging in price from about 50 to 400 quid!

This is my second PJ and I've never had to replace a bulb, sold the first one with the house when we moved.
My mate replaced his from avpartmaster for less than £100. Genuine epson part.

Justprojectorlamps.co.uk get a decent write up.

I really recommend www.avforums.com
Great bunch of people and there's not much that you can't find on there in the way if tips.

That's a nice amp - probably my choice when I go to Atmos. Problem is, my trusty old Yamaha has been with me forever (since HD audio codecs, anyway) and I think it would take me some time to get used to any other sound.
Denon are due, may have even already done it, to update their amp range so you could probably get a good deal on this.

Edit, Peter Tyson are doing it for £329.

Denon are due, may have even already done it, to update their amp range so you could probably get a good deal on this.

Edit, Peter Tyson are doing it for £329.

Are Peter Dyson a particularly good retailer to purchase AV gear from then?

As I bought mine from local Richer Sounds (paid extra for the 5 year warranty but can get the money back if I don't claim on it) and I see that the X2300W is also £329 there.

Are Peter Dyson a particularly good retailer to purchase AV gear from then?

As I bought mine from local Richer Sounds (paid extra for the 5 year warranty but can get the money back if I don't claim on it) and I see that the X2300W is also £329 there.

I don't know that they are any better than anywhere else, it's just that's where I've bought my last 2 bits of kit from and I have they're website bookmarked so it was easy to check.
Most of them offer price match, sevenoaks used be good but they closed their one in Glasgow so we are poorly served up here. There is two A/V stores but they are a bit up themselves for my liking and want to sell you what they like.
I've never bought anything from richer sounds but they do have a great rep and I wouldn't hesitate to.

Back