• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Film Thread ***

Are Peter Dyson a particularly good retailer to purchase AV gear from then?

As I bought mine from local Richer Sounds (paid extra for the 5 year warranty but can get the money back if I don't claim on it) and I see that the X2300W is also £329 there.
It's a good time to buy right now. Denon, Yamaha etc are all refreshing their ranges for 17/18 - but the world of AVRs has pretty much topped out with Atmos, so the changes are not much more than window dressing.

I just got the £2200 Yamaha rx-a3060, for £1500! :-O
Also stole a bargain 55" OLED LG last week, down from £2.5k to £1399. Which is a bargain as it's the last year to have 3D, but the first with dolby vision. Nuts to think you'd spend over £3k now for a 17/18 set with slightly different fascia, but no 3D as the only difference! AV Tech has gone silly!

It's a good time to buy right now. Denon, Yamaha etc are all refreshing their ranges for 17/18 - but the world of AVRs has pretty much topped out with Atmos, so the changes are not much more than window dressing.

I just got the £2200 Yamaha rx-a3060, for £1500! :-O
Also stole a bargain 55" OLED LG last week, down from £2.5k to £1399. Which is a bargain as it's the last year to have 3D, but the first with dolby vision. Nuts to think you'd spend over £3k now for a 17/18 set with slightly different fascia, but no 3D as the only difference! AV Tech has gone silly!
Buy the outgoing model is set the way to go most years.
It's only really every 3 or 5 year anything comes out tech wise that you need to upgrade for.
HD audio was the last one, 3d atmos and 4k are no more than sales driven gimmicks imo.

What did you think?

I liked it. I didn't think it was amazing, but I enjoyed the watch. I think that the character depth is weak in places, and the storyline is definitely more comic book than anything that could be grounded in reality. The music is positive and in most parts suits the mood of the moment. Overall, it's fun but don't go too deep in thought with the story and chances are that you will enjoy the ride.

Buy the outgoing model is set the way to go most years.
It's only really every 3 or 5 year anything comes out tech wise that you need to upgrade for.
HD audio was the last one, 3d atmos and 4k are no more than sales driven gimmicks imo.
I'm buggered then - just replaced everything to add 4K, Atmos, and Dolby Vision!

Anyone got any advice on projector screen sizes?

I'll be seated about 9.5 feet from the screen and was planning a 92 inch screen as it needs to be that large to cover the aperture between the living area and the kitchen.

Problem is, that seems to be at the top end of the THX recommended size and well over that of the other standard. If that's the case, am I better off having a larger, black screen that drops behind the main one or should I just get some matte tape and decrease the size?

Anyone got any advice on projector screen sizes?

I'll be seated about 9.5 feet from the screen and was planning a 92 inch screen as it needs to be that large to cover the aperture between the living area and the kitchen.

Problem is, that seems to be at the top end of the THX recommended size and well over that of the other standard. If that's the case, am I better off having a larger, black screen that drops behind the main one or should I just get some matte tape and decrease the size?

92 is the average size for domestic use and perfect for your throw distance.
I would not recommend doing anything the screen. If you need to block something out behind the screen get a curtain. There is a specific fabric you can buy that's intended to cut light reflection, I'll try and find the name but I think it's made by devore.

Um...are they good?
Yes, but it does depend on what you have, and what you want. Do you have an A/V set up just now?
Bang for buck they knock spots off a tv imo.
I paid 2k for 55inch Samsung tv with loads of crap I don't use. It's ok, nothing special. Sound is pants on it.
I only bought it because we moved into a rental for 18 months while looked for a bigger house, I couldn't hang the screen in the rental.

For the same, or depending on your haggling skills less money, you can buy a PJ, screen, receiver, and decent 5.1 speaker set.
Trust me, there is no comparison.
You don't need a huge or totally dark room anymore. Yes for movies the darker the better, but it's not essential.

Best bet is take an hour out your day and go to your local A/V dealer, I'm sure there'll be sevenoaks or richer sounds near you, and ask for a demo. Take a movie you're familiar with and ask them if you can view it.

Yes, but it does depend on what you have, and what you want. Do you have an A/V set up just now?
Bang for buck they knock spots off a tv imo.
I paid 2k for 55inch Samsung tv with loads of crap I don't use. It's ok, nothing special. Sound is pants on it.
I only bought it because we moved into a rental for 18 months while looked for a bigger house, I couldn't hang the screen in the rental.

For the same, or depending on your haggling skills less money, you can buy a PJ, screen, receiver, and decent 5.1 speaker set.
Trust me, there is no comparison.
You don't need a huge or totally dark room anymore. Yes for movies the darker the better, but it's not essential.

Best bet is take an hour out your day and go to your local A/V dealer, I'm sure there'll be sevenoaks or richer sounds near you, and ask for a demo. Take a movie you're familiar with and ask them if you can view it.
Im building a house and have one room tagged for a projector setup. I'm sure i won't able to afford a projector when it is done but maybe a little bit down the road. I know very little about it but want to have the room wired properly for when it does happen. I'll be back for advice later .

Back