• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Defoe

Rooney will go despite his ban. Sturridge and welbeck too. Leaves one space probably and I bet Carroll goes. Bent should be the fourth striker on merit but would love to see JD go.

JD's had better years than Sturridge, Welbeck and Bent, and putting him in the same category as Andy Carroll is just laughable.

Absolutely agree with this. Why hasnt Harry bought a top striker. Its not too late but the window is closing shortly.....

BUY now or forever lose out on PL. It happened last year and it could well happen again - especially if we do a Spurs!

Opinions are like nipples, everybody has one. Some have firm points, others are barely discernible through layers, and some are displayed at every opportunity regardless of whether the audience has stated "I am interested in your nipples" or not.

Noted
Cheers OneNipYiddo2786

don't understand what the ruckus is about...he's an instinctive goal poacher..all strikers run on form..no ifs or butts. we should keep him

Bent's better at finding the net. That says to me that his movement must be pretty decent despite what his critics may say. Gets a rough deal IMO.

We've had this discussion ad infinitum on here.

Bent is a very good PL striker who happened to be with us at the wrong time and has been unfairly prosecuted ever since by being the spacegoat of what turned out to be a turd of a season (eventhough he was our topscorer that season amidst all else). His strike rate is comparable to Rooney and Drogba's and has been consistently delivering in every slub he's played.

i think you are overly harsh on him because he is keeping Defoe out the side - a player who you seem to be a particular fan of. im not trying to make a sly dig here Naija btw, no offense intended

he has been an almost ever present in the best spurs side in recent history - over his time here he has nearly a 1 in 2 goal scoring ratio. he is one of the few players in the squad who has played at the highest level and won major trophies/league titles, what he brings on a match day is not just measured by how he performs on the pitch, it's everything else he brings with it - the opposition fear him, our players respect him

whether you see it or not VdV has contributed to our form and style so far this season, we don't need to fix something which isn't broken. it's bad for Defoe, but he has an important role to play between now and the end of the season and im happy we have him as he will do well when called upon in this side

no doubt if Defoe was starting alongside Adebayor he would do well - but over the course of a season i believe the team would do better with the 4411 & VdV than a 442 & Defoe.

The thing is that VDVs performances/energy are deteriorating, while Defoe is getting better and better. Its not about "not broken dont fix it", its about making a change that will see us through to the end.

He deserves a start, but that doesnt mean VDV is dropped forever. Thats why we have a squad.
You say we would do better in a 4411 than a 442, but our strikers do better in a 442. I really think now is a good time to make the most of Ade and a very hungry Defoe.

We've had this discussion ad infinitum on here.

Bent is a very good PL striker who happened to be with us at the wrong time and has been unfairly prosecuted ever since by being the spacegoat of what turned out to be a turd of a season (eventhough he was a topscorer that season amidst all else). His strike rate is comparable to Rooney and Drogba's and has been consistenyl delivering in every slub he's played.

I truly believe a lot of fans give him a rough deal due to his over inflated transfer fees. I love the whole 'limited in what he offers to the team' debate too - what's that then 20 goals????

If Defoe manages 20 goals this season for us he'd be lauded as England's starting striker in the summer Euros and probably nominated as one of our Players of the Season

Whereas if Bent does it'll be the minimum we should expect due to his transfer fee. Hardly something he can control is it? I like Bent I think he's a great finisher.

I truly believe a lot of fans give him a rough deal due to his over inflated transfer fees. I love the whole 'limited in what he offers to the team' debate too - what's that then 20 goals????

Bent does not seem to offer any extra goals to the team - took him out of the sunderland team and they scored more goals than Bent did over the same amount of games but spread out amongst the team. At villa he has touched the ball fewer times than anyone else in the league.

If you are a limited team and can build around him - everything set up for him then fair enough, but he is nothing on Defoe.

Whereas if Bent does it'll be the minimum we should expect due to his transfer fee. Hardly something he can control is it? I like Bent I think he's a great finisher.

he's a consistant scorer of ordinary and ugly goals. Can't ever remember seeing him score a beauty

in reference to you and wookieD about defoe's part in the missed opportunity

i'm not quite sure i agree with this. no one is hungrier for goals in our team than JD. infact you could say that the guy is down right greedy for it.

i actually think defoe might have been well aware of where he was and probably thought that was the best place to be to get the ball in the wide range of passes that could have come from bale. he couldnt have known where bale was going to put that...

Sorry mate, Bale will hit it across the face of goal as sure as the sun will shine. If Defoe doesn't realise that, having played with him regularly for at least two seasons, then he has no place on a football pitch. It is Bale's most dangerous tool on a counter attack, it is what allowed us to humiliate Inter Milan at WHL and every striker in our squad should know that, when a defence is stretched, the ball will flash across the keeper.

It's as simple as that, imo.

Funnily enough, it was this exact same lack of understanding that lead to a draw with Emirates Marketing Project at the start of 10/11 season when Bale must have fizzed half a dozen balls across the goal with no-one reacting to them. It has been the one thing I have screamed about for at least 18 months now.

Even if you just break down Bale's game, you know that more often that not, he is going to go across goal and not cut back. The reason is that, on a counter attack, Bale's entire game is built on beating the FB. Sure, if he completely roasts the FB he might find an angle to cut it back. But more often than not, Bale is going to gain a yard and use that space, on the fly, to put the ball across the face of goal, it's all there is time and space to do. And why not, we've seen some corking goals scored that way and I never want to see Bale, of all people, put a foot on the ball.

I'm a fan of Defoe, but not reading that properly was idiotic really. I was screaming at the telly for him to run and he took off far too late.

Wookie, stop talking sense, mate

Defoe fans and their straw man arguments after every misfortune are rather amusing to read. Better than the transfer rumours thread, that's depressing :D

Back