• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Defoe

We are very lucky to have Defoe, he is a top class striker who has a genuine affinity to us. I'm gobsmacked with some posters opinion of him. No he is not world class and, when on form, I'd rather VDV in the team ahead of him. But VDV is not on form and I genuinely believe if Defoe is given game time he will contribute more to the team than VDV is currently providing. They are completely different players who bring different qualities to the team. Great to have options isn't it? If we utilized them correctly, which has not been the case so far this season. I think it would benefit the team, Defoe and VDV if Defoe was given more game time.

JD should not replace VDV, but instead replace Adebayor
Isn't football great? We can watch the same team and have completely different views. I like to think I respect everyone's opinion and take other views on board, but your statement is insane. I guess with so many opions floating about, someone has to be wrong...which you here......in my opinion ;-)

Absolutely not IMO. Defoe and Adebayor is much better than Defoe and VDV, and Adebayor has been much more important to our all round play than VDV this season.

And therein lies the rub. Ade and Defoe actually play as a partnership why VDV isolates Adebayor by coming too deep. Even if VDV was not scoring goals recently I think he should be contributing more. Just compare how VDV played on Sunday to what Silva delivered for Emirates Marketing Project. Silva is world class and has been relatively consistent, VDV not so much.

VDV is just too indisciplined, apart from isolating Ade and never ever seeming to be around in the penalty box these days when he has been told to play on the right when Lennon was out he seems to play anywhere except on the right. Ade and Defoe seem to give defences more to worry about

in reference to you and wookieD about defoe's part in the missed opportunity

i'm not quite sure i agree with this. no one is hungrier for goals in our team than JD. infact you could say that the guy is down right greedy for it.

i actually think defoe might have been well aware of where he was and probably thought that was the best place to be to get the ball in the wide range of passes that could have come from bale. he couldnt have known where bale was going to put that....bale could have hit that ball behind defoe had he run to far forward, but then defoe was in a position that if bale had hit the ball s shade slower then defoe scores, half a metre away from the keeper and defoe scores. instead defoe gets a touch on a ball that was well crossed but also quite close to the keeper...and JUST misses out on scoring for us

i dont think you can really blame anyone for that miss, least of all the one player in our team that would sell his own mother to get a winning goal against the top team in the country.

Careful. Common sense has no truck around here...

There you go..You hit the nail...I won't call names or put any description on him. Simply put..He does not fit Tottenham Hotspur..He can go and play for West Ham..Portsmouth, Fulham...any mid-table mediocre team. But for a team challenging for titles and CL even as back up he has nothing to offer..
I am sorry no matter how he plays..defenses easily contain him..and that is why he disappears for most of matches..a small player like him does not have an impact unless he has the physical toughness to cause defenders problems.

Here are some stats I posted earlier....they prove what you've said here is pretty much a complete load of gonad*s:

Defoe's goals with Ade
Wolves
Liverpool
Saudi Sportswashing Machine (after coming on for VDV)
Fulham (after coming on for VDV)
WBA (a)
Bolton
WBA (h)

VDV's goals with and Ade
Wigan
Arsenal (NOTE: All three played and JD had a major part in the build up to VDVs goal, with Ade assisting)
Saudi Sportswashing Machine (Penalty)
Blackburn (2)
QPR
Swansea

Ade's goals with VDV
Villa (2)
Stoke (Penalty)
Chelsea

Ade's goals with Defoe
Wolves (both scored)
Liverpool (both scored)
WBA (2 goals, and both scored)
Stoke (Penalty: Note, Defoe played 2nd half when penalty was conceded by Modric)

Defoe (PL)
16 games, 8 goals, 1 assist, 49 shots

VDV
20 games, 7 goals, 4 assists, 65 shots

Yeah, JD offers nothing to us eh?
Well for a start, he offers us a working strike partner for Ade. VDV and Ade have not both scored in one single game together.

Last edited:
Why oh why do we have to stick to the same front two?

We need a blend of players who the manager can use to change the system when we come up against an opponent who we are finding difficult to break down.

If we use the same two all of the time, what happens to the dynamic of the team, when one of these players is injured, suspended, cup-tied, on international duty, or sold on the last day of the "transfer-window"?

So, come on peeps, please look at the bigger picture?

And therein lies the rub. Ade and Defoe actually play as a partnership why VDV isolates Adebayor by coming too deep. Even if VDV was not scoring goals recently I think he should be contributing more. Just compare how VDV played on Sunday to what Silva delivered for Emirates Marketing Project. Silva is world class and has been relatively consistent, VDV not so much.

VDV is just too indisciplined, apart from isolating Ade and never ever seeming to be around in the penalty box these days when he has been told to play on the right when Lennon was out he seems to play anywhere except on the right. Ade and Defoe seem to give defences more to worry about

VDV's 'indiscipline' is a fookin nightmare to deal with for opposition. His football intelligence allows him to torment midfield and defenders alike....how can anyone have a tactical gameplan to deal with someone like VDV? His creativity and link up play from dropping
deep and his clinical finishing when getting forward is a potent weapon ....I also suspect his confidence in his own ability rubs off on team mates and it's no coincidence we are seeing a different mentalilty amongst the team these days. VDV demands to win and I am convinced his temperament is hugely influential to our current team mentality.

I agree it's not been working for him recently, which is why I think JD needs to start the next 2/3 games...That said, there are huge question marks on VDV's temperant accepting coming on as sub. Which is a real shame.

Here are some stats I posted earlier....they prove what you've said here is pretty much a complete load of gonad*s:

Defoe's goals with Ade
Wolves
Liverpool
Saudi Sportswashing Machine (after coming on for VDV)
Fulham (after coming on for VDV)
WBA (a)
Bolton
WBA (h)

VDV's goals with and Ade
Wigan
Arsenal (NOTE: All three played and JD had a major part in the build up to VDVs goal, with Ade assisting)
Saudi Sportswashing Machine (Penalty)
Blackburn (2)
QPR
Swansea

Ade's goals with VDV
Villa (2)
Stoke (Penalty)
Chelsea

Ade's goals with Defoe
Wolves (both scored)
Liverpool (both scored)
WBA (2 goals, and both scored)
Stoke (Penalty: Note, Defoe played 2nd half when penalty was conceded by Modric)

Defoe (PL)
16 games, 8 goals, 1 assist, 49 shots

VDV
20 games, 7 goals, 4 assists, 65 shots

Yeah, JD offers nothing to us eh?
Well for a start, he offers us a working strike partner for Ade. VDV and Ade have not both scored in one single game together.

Excellent stats mate

Very impressive stats

think you'll find that even last season it was the same. VDV is quite a poison chalice to his partners.

the only problem you have there is that VDV is the most naturally all round talented player we have. so he tends to play regardless. his work ethic is erratic and for me it isnt smart enough and it isnt consistent enough.

but when VDV is on song and on form , he is beautiful.....in a strictly non southstand i am gay sort of way

Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has them and thinks everyone else's stinks......

Opinions are like nipples, everybody has one. Some have firm points, others are barely discernible through layers, and some are displayed at every opportunity regardless of whether the audience has stated "I am interested in your nipples" or not.

the only problem you have there is that VDV is the most naturally all round talented player we have. so he tends to play regardless. his work ethic is erratic and for me it isnt smart enough and it isnt consistent enough.

but when VDV is on song and on form , he is beautiful.....in a strictly non southstand i am gay sort of way

I just feel with all the talent he has he should be as effective for us as Silva is for Emirates Marketing Project and this season I do not think he has been remotely close

i think you are overly harsh on him because he is keeping Defoe out the side - a player who you seem to be a particular fan of. im not trying to make a sly dig here Naija btw, no offense intended

he has been an almost ever present in the best spurs side in recent history - over his time here he has nearly a 1 in 2 goal scoring ratio. he is one of the few players in the squad who has played at the highest level and won major trophies/league titles, what he brings on a match day is not just measured by how he performs on the pitch, it's everything else he brings with it - the opposition fear him, our players respect him

whether you see it or not VdV has contributed to our form and style so far this season, we don't need to fix something which isn't broken. it's bad for Defoe, but he has an important role to play between now and the end of the season and im happy we have him as he will do well when called upon in this side

no doubt if Defoe was starting alongside Adebayor he would do well - but over the course of a season i believe the team would do better with the 4411 & VdV than a 442 & Defoe.

Opinions are like nipples, everybody has one. Some have firm points, others are barely discernible through layers, and some are displayed at every opportunity regardless of whether the audience has stated "I am interested in your nipples" or not.

I can't speak for everyone else here, but i definitely have two nipples.

On current form, he's done enough to earn himself a spot for Euro 2012. Which English strikers other than Welbeck are in good form right now? Defoe will get plenty of chances to keep proving his worth this season.

Back