• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Defoe

Re: Jermain Defoe

Was it my imagination or did he 'acknowledg'e the away fans with a clap when they were signing the JD song after his 2nd?

Could somebody please answer me how exactly Defoe has been a "different class" since AVB has taken over?

We've played four games so far and i judge his all around performance as ok, poor, poor, and very good. Am i wrong to think this?

I was thinking about yesterday and it is evident that AVB has clearly worked on working with Defoe and being more precise in the box. How often did we see players just whip balls in not caring if it was Defoe or Ade in the box? It looked great for sure, but there was no accuracy. Yesterday, how often did we see the lads look up and pick out a player.

1) the goal. Lennon pulls it back for Defoe, who just stepped off his markers. Remember he and Kanoute used to have this understanding.
2) Defoe pull back to Sig when dispossessing the keeper.
3) Walker's pull back for Bale's goal.
4) Townsends pull back for Defoe when he volleyed over.

It's clear to me it's something that's been worked on. We had numbers in the box at times, and were more selective with who we picked out. This is how we will make more of Defoe and how he can benefit us more.

Different formation basically. Yesterday we played 4-3-3 (not that anyone seemed to notice.....)

I don't think we were strictly a 4-3-3 yesterday. Lennon came in a lot, but spent a lot of time in his traditional wide position. Whereas Bale spent a lot more time in a narrower position. Little bit wonky actually and it is pretty hard to say we were a 4-3-3 over a 4-5-1... Just shows it's a load of old gonad*s really, just run araand a bit.

We're really overreacting to his performance yesterday people. He was great yesterday but his performances against brick opposition has never been in question. As a lone striker he's simply not going to perform consistently imo and he hasn't got the all around attributes to play that role. have you forgotten his shower of brick performances vs WBA and norwich?
One other thing i've noticed though is AVBs formation looks like it will work better away from home than at the lane. Against Saudi Sportswashing Machine and reading we had no problems creating chances and that has a lot to do with our movement and our somewhat rigid formation. Defoe will probably get a lot of away goals this season.

I couldn't agree more. He is a flat track bully who can be devastating against average opposition, but he never does it against the top sides and he never does it on a consistent basis. His goals have always come in purple patches with vast droughts in between. He played very well yesterday, his all round game is still not good enough in my view for a side with medium term title ambitions. His movement was better yesterday, but that's only because Reading were so open he was often left one on one when it's easier to make a decent run.

I'm not a Defoe-hater by any means, I think he's a good player I just don't think he's the guy that's going to be the difference between us finishing 4th/5th and being realistic challengers.

I don't think we were strictly a 4-3-3 yesterday. Lennon came in a lot, but spent a lot of time in his traditional wide position. Whereas Bale spent a lot more time in a narrower position. Little bit wonky actually and it is pretty hard to say we were a 4-3-3 over a 4-5-1... Just shows it's a load of old gonad*s really, just run araand a bit.

I thought Bale and Lennon really supported Defoe in the box, whilst Sigurdsson stayed a bit deeper and didn't burst through as much. It was certainly a different system to the one we've played so far this season which was more the wider players staying wide rather than running the channels.

I couldn't agree more. He is a flat track bully who can be devastating against average opposition, but he never does it against the top sides and he never does it on a consistent basis. His goals have always come in purple patches with vast droughts in between. He played very well yesterday, his all round game is still not good enough in my view for a side with medium term title ambitions. His movement was better yesterday, but that's only because Reading were so open he was often left one on one when it's easier to make a decent run.

I'm not a Defoe-hater by any means, I think he's a good player I just don't think he's the guy that's going to be the difference between us finishing 4th/5th and being realistic challengers.

Defoe's 115 Premier League goals...

Jermain Defoe PL Goals
Against Team Goals
Wigan Athletic 10
Blackburn Rovers 7
Charlton Athletic 7
Emirates Marketing Project 6
Saudi Sportswashing Machine 6
Portsmouth 6
Aston Villa 5
Birmingham City 5
Manchester United 5
Chelsea 4
Everton 4
Fulham 4
Middlesbrough 4
Southampton 4
Sunderland 4
West Ham United 4
Wolverhampton W 4
Bolton Wanderers 3
Hull City 3
West Bromwich Albion 3
Arsenal 2
Ipswich Town 2
Leicester City 2
Liverpool 2
Reading 2
Stoke City 2
Blackpool 1
Crystal Palace 1
Derby County 1
Norwich City 1
Reading 1
Tottenham Hotspur 1
Burnley 0
Leeds United 0
Queens Park Rangers 0
Sheffield United 0
Swansea City 0
Watford 0
Total Goals 116
With West Ham United 18
With Portsmouth 16
With Tottenham Hotspur 82
Correct to 16th Sept 2012

I thought Bale and Lennon really supported Defoe in the box, whilst Sigurdsson stayed a bit deeper and didn't burst through as much. It was certainly a different system to the one we've played so far this season which was more the wider players staying wide rather than running the channels.

Bale did stay out wide at all

Like I say, Bale was perhaps the one of the two taking up something of forwards position and they were definitely supporting him yesterday but look at Lennon's typical defensive game yesterday, his positions on the wing and it is pretty disputable that he was playing a forward role, hence why I say it was lopsided.

Like I say, Bale was perhaps the one of the two taking up something of forwards position and they were definitely supporting him yesterday but look at Lennon's typical defensive game yesterday, his positions on the wing and it is pretty disputable that he was playing a forward role, hence why I say it was lopsided.

But in a 4-3-3 the two inside forwards don't really play a traditional forward role? When you don't have the ball it reverts to a 4-5-1. I thought the wingers and central midfield played differently than the first three games.

Could somebody please answer me how exactly Defoe has been a "different class" since AVB has taken over?

We've played four games so far and i judge his all around performance as ok, poor, poor, and very good. Am i wrong to think this?

Your a hater of him, there is no point in trying to explain anything.

But in a 4-3-3 the two inside forwards don't really play a traditional forward role? When you don't have the ball it reverts to a 4-5-1. I thought the wingers and central midfield played differently than the first three games.

You would never see Anelka or similar helping out his fullback to the extent that Lennon does and you certainly woudn't expect them to sit on the touchline waiting for a ball. Anyway, I think you're getting too hung up on the formation. It was what it was, which is a bit of both.

Your a hater of him, there is no point in trying to explain anything.

eh? maybe you have me confused with somebody else being that i think Defoe is a good player who gives us something different.

What i will say though is the 'fan boys' of certain players are actually far more delsuional then the so called 'haters'. They're the ones the ignore two poor games and a 'meh' game and focus solely on the one good game. it's good to be balanced and objective not a 'fan boy' or a 'hater' tbh.

Jermain Defoe PL Goals
Against Team Goals
Wigan Athletic 10
Blackburn Rovers 7
Charlton Athletic 7
Emirates Marketing Project 6
Saudi Sportswashing Machine 6
Portsmouth 6
Aston Villa 5
Birmingham City 5
Manchester United 5
Chelsea 4
Everton 4
Fulham 4
Middlesbrough 4
Southampton 4
Sunderland 4
West Ham United 4
Wolverhampton W 4
Bolton Wanderers 3
Hull City 3
West Bromwich Albion 3
Arsenal 2
Ipswich Town 2
Leicester City 2
Liverpool 2
Reading 2
Stoke City 2
Blackpool 1
Crystal Palace 1
Derby County 1
Norwich City 1
Reading 1
Tottenham Hotspur 1
Burnley 0
Leeds United 0
Queens Park Rangers 0
Sheffield United 0
Swansea City 0
Watford 0
Total Goals 116
With West Ham United 18
With Portsmouth 16
With Tottenham Hotspur 82

I only count one against the scum - in the 4-5 game.

Total Goals 116

That might be why ;)

eh? maybe you have me confused with somebody else being that i think Defoe is a good player who gives us something different.

What i will say though is the 'fan boys' of certain players are actually far more delsuional then the so called 'haters'. They're the ones the ignore two poor games and a 'meh' game and focus solely on the one good game. it's good to be balanced and objective not a 'fan boy' or a 'hater' tbh.

Let's say I agree with the 2 poor games which I don't, I've seen all strikers have poor games. I've seen Messi and Ronaldo have poor games. I'm not quite sure how not behaving like a complete taco over it constitutes as being a delusional fan boy ?

IMO Sigurdsson was clearly playing ahead of the two central midfielders - a 4-2-3-1 with an attacking quartet and alternating support from Naughton, Walker, Sandro and Dembele.

Back