• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Defoe

Re: Jermain Defoe

I may be wrong here but i am sure i saw a stat last season that he has never completed 90 mins for England, he has either come on as a sub or been substituted.

According to the stats above he has played a average of only 40 mins per game, so maybe its right.

Yes, Defoe has yet to play the full 90 minutes for England.

The longest time he was on the pitch for was 87 minutes when he scored a hat-trick against Bulgaria in a 4-0 win on 3rd September 2010 at Wembley.

Sounds like the English thinking has generally been along the lines of:

(a) Oh, GHod, this is brick, who've we got on the bench?

(b) See (a)

Adebayor's overall game is much, much better than Defoe. 4 assists and 1 goal against Saudi Sportswashing Machine proves this.

all the stats regardless for club or country says that defoe is a good super sub.
you can't extrapolate that and say that he would score at the same rate if he played the full 90 mins.
like solksjaer for man U.

This makes rather interesting reading...

A0454.jpg

A0453.jpg

Following on from this, there's a very interesting piece on Peter Crouch from the BBC today...

Peter Crouch in England exile after Euro refusal - Roy Hodgson

Peter Crouch is in England exile after the striker refused to be on manager Roy Hodgson's Euro 2012 stand-by list.

Stoke City's Crouch, 31, was overlooked for the World Cup qualifiers against Moldova and Ukraine, despite injuries to Wayne Rooney and Andy Carroll depleting Hodgson's resources.

Hodgson said: "I selected him for the Euros but he didn't want to come.

"He made it clear that unless he was in the squad he didn't want to be considered."

Hodgson continued: "As a result, we've selected squads since that time when I felt I didn't need him here. I'm not going to bring him here to fill up the bench. The day Crouch gets in the England squad is when I think he should be in the original 23."

Crouch, who believes his new partnership with Michael Owen at Stoke could revive his international ambitions, has scored 22 goals in 42 appearances but has not played for England since 2010.

However, Hodgson said that both Crouch and Aston Villa striker Darren Bent - who is also out of favour at the moment - could still have an international future.

The manager said: "They have both played for England in the past. Darren Bent was injured for a large part of last season and the new season is only three Premier League games old. He is a player we'll be following.

"I was thinking Andy Carroll and Wayne Rooney when I put this squad together but I lost Rooney a week before and then Carroll at the last minute. I've not dismissed anybody, even Peter Crouch."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19550580

Excellent performance today in the lone striker role.

He was given time and space ahead of him which is where he flourishes - against teams who don't have 10 men behind the ball. I was one of many that put my head in my hands when he was selected again today ahead of Adebayor, but I now see why and have an alternative tactical strategy that I think we should follow. Defoe can be good as a lone striker in away games, but not home, or at least not against teams in the bottom half.

City away last season - Defoe scored, should have scored again and we played well
Arsenal away in 2010 - Defoe came on and set up a goal straight away, we played really well in the second half
Saudi Sportswashing Machine away this season - Defoe scored and hit the post as well, we generally played well

Can't think of many other games where Defoe has played on his own up front away from home but these would support my idea

JD had a great game today, would have been capped off perfectly if he got his hatrick.

What confuses people is JD playing upfront on his own today doesn't mean we will play that way every game. AVB will change the lineups based on opposition and form of players.

Ade/Dempsey have not had enough games pre season, plus coming back from internationals means they probably aren't fully ready yet.

I expect Lloris/Ade/Dempsey/Dawson all to see a start against Lazio.

Excellent performance today in the lone striker role.

He was given time and space ahead of him which is where he flourishes - against teams who don't have 10 men behind the ball. I was one of many that put my head in my hands when he was selected again today ahead of Adebayor, but I now see why and have an alternative tactical strategy that I think we should follow. Defoe can be good as a lone striker in away games, but not home, or at least not against teams in the bottom half.

City away last season - Defoe scored, should have scored again and we played well
Arsenal away in 2010 - Defoe came on and set up a goal straight away, we played really well in the second half
Saudi Sportswashing Machine away this season - Defoe scored and hit the post as well, we generally played well

Can't think of many other games where Defoe has played on his own up front away from home but these would support my idea

Must say, despite being branded by people on here as 'anti-Defoe', I agree with this. I think Adebayor is the more rounded player but when given space like he was today Defoe can be lethal. I was actually surprised at how much he missed today tbh, but he looked a real handful against a very poor, very open Reading side. Enough of a handful to start some other similar games. But I think Ade definitely needs to figure heavily too, either alongside Defoe at home or instead of him when we need to keep possession (I guess we have no choice seeing as they're our only 2 strikers!!)

His performance today was kind of reminiscent of Falcao at Porto!

Must say, despite being branded by people on here as 'anti-Defoe', I agree with this. I think Adebayor is the more rounded player but when given space like he was today Defoe can be lethal. I was actually surprised at how much he missed today tbh, but he looked a real handful against a very poor, very open Reading side. Enough of a handful to start some other similar games. But I think Ade definitely needs to figure heavily too, either alongside Defoe at home or instead of him when we need to keep possession (I guess we have no choice seeing as they're our only 2 strikers!!)

Steady on

I was reading with interest until I saw this...are you ok?

all the stats regardless for club or country says that defoe is a good super sub.
you can't extrapolate that and say that he would score at the same rate if he played the full 90 mins.
like solksjaer for man U.

If he got a decent supply instead of hoofing the ball then i would extrapolate that he would

He was very very good today, lead the line so well and he deserves to start against QPR at home, continue scoring then he deserves to start against Man Utd too. I wonder if AVB though will have us perhaps playing a little differently at home, perhaps a more 4-4-2 kind of tactic.

I love Defoe and always thought he was good as a striker for us (not necessarily as a first choice striker) and there are times that he is greedy however for his second goal he was so not fudgein greedy.

What people dont understand is just because another player (Bale in this case) makes a run doesnt mean they are wanting or demanding a pass. Its generally movement to make space for the player with the ball (in this case Defoe). bales run was as vital as Defoe running with the ball as without Bales run Defoe would have faced a much harder task to score.

So no not greedy just intelligent play that im sure these guys do a lot of in training.

Hold on, so Defoe gets the ball inside his own half, runs through all the way to score a superb goal and he is greedy ? If it was Messi you'd be tossing yourselves. The Defoe hatred is a fudging joke.

I love Defoe and always thought he was good as a striker for us (not necessarily as a first choice striker) and there are times that he is greedy however for his second goal he was so not fudgein greedy.

What people dont understand is just because another player (Bale in this case) makes a run doesnt mean they are wanting or demanding a pass. Its generally movement to make space for the player with the ball (in this case Defoe). bales run was as vital as Defoe running with the ball as without Bales run Defoe would have faced a much harder task to score.

So no not greedy just intelligent play that im sure these guys do a lot of in training.
Also works both ways because at one point Bale chose to take a shot rather than pass to Defoe

Last edited:

Hold on, so Defoe gets the ball inside his own half, runs through all the way to score a superb goal and he is greedy ? If it was Messi you'd be tossing yourselves. The Defoe hatred is a fudging joke.

I love Defoe and always backed him but there is no denying that there are times he is greedy but today he actually showed some good awareness and composure and actually linked up with others pretty well.

Had he missed the chance for his second goal no doubt we would have slated him for not passing to Bale, even I thought he should have passed to Bale but when you take a moment to think you have to think that players will make runs to put the player carrying the ball in a better position to score i.e. Bale running to create space.

Back