• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official Benoit Thread

I dread to think what Ekotto is going to be like when playing an AVB high line. He's like a 10 year old kid daydreaming as the sunlight pours over him at times.

Hopefully it will mean that it makes him locked in at all times. I await what it provides. Hopefully good times. 8-[

Last edited:
Vert is wasted at LB, much stronger in the centre as he can struggle sometimes against the more nippy opponent on the wing.

Like Benny, but not sure we have. Vert has covered well in that position, and has managed to be a creative outlet as well.

I think Jan has the ability to be one of the best CB's in the prem, but i do not think he is good at LB and certainly not as good as Benny there.

I think Naughton will cope fine in open play, but adding a player or two that can really challenge in the air for the set plays can make a real difference in games like these imo. Much tougher for Stoke to build pressure by winning set piece after set piece when we have a few players in addition to the centre halves that can really put up a fight for those long throws and set pieces.

Dawson, Caulker, Vertonghen, Sandro, Dembele as well as Dempsey and Ade (if fit), Walker is reasonably good in the air too and we should be able to deal with whatever Stoke (literally) throw our way.

Add to that Sandro (and Dembele) who can challenge for the first header after their long hoofs from the goalie leaving our centre backs in position to deal with whatever happens after that first duel in the air and I would be feeling quite confident. Normally Stoke will sit back away from home and I would imagine they will do that against, the only real issue will be how to unlock their back 10 or whatever it will be.

Blimey you called that one pretty damn right. You AVB in disguise?

He is definitely quicker than verts, so I don't think he'll do worse.

I wasn't alluding to pace, I was alluding to a player that's sitting in the sun smoking a spliff dreaming of the pacific ocean washing up on a sandy beach whilst the game passes him by. Or in other words, He switches off. When playing a high line, you need players to concentrate fully at all times, and although he is a good player, I do worry about Benny playing as part of a high line back 4.

ITK? ;)

I have the same feeling as well though. I posted over 3 weeks ago with pics that he was back in full training, yet he hasn't even played a practice match since? Something's not quite right :(

What you basing that on?

just a hunch mate.

Something is telling me he's been fit for a while now but it's just a case of AVB not picking him for the squad. I watched the Sunderland vs City stream on Boxing day and when Rose was taken off with 3 minutes left..it seemed 'final' if you know what i mean. Rose was brilliant vs city btw.

I wasn't alluding to pace, I was alluding to a player that's sitting in the sun smoking a spliff dreaming of the pacific ocean washing up on a sandy beach whilst the game passes him by. Or in other words, He switches off. When playing a high line, you need players to concentrate fully at all times, and although he is a good player, I do worry about Benny playing as part of a high line back 4.

in a high line the back four has the wing backs in "attack mode" if not, poised and ready. from what I've seen from BAE he is very engaged in play up front - the many swerving, dipping crosses into the penalty box, the quick through balls and one-two with Bale. i actually think he will look much better in our current setup as it plays to his strength (so long as we keep possession).

the problem I think about our wing backs (both BAE and Walker, and lately sometimes verts) switching off has got to do with Gallas (last season, King) being in the back line, which hampers either CBs from providing quick enough cover to the wing backs, should they commit themselves.

A_JpauqCcAEIs4u.jpg:large

Back