• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

O/T Ronaldo vs Messi

Unfortunately you sound like a broken record anytime FC Barcelona get mentioned mate. Any team that can genuinely be considered to be one of the best of all-time has to get that sort of attention - and rightly so.

My convictions aside - the fact remains - they receive by far the most media attention. For better or worse although your argument of having 'earned it' is also a fair one, I suppose.

I will try an find a link to the documentary I saw about Ronaldo and his earlier beginnings - very good watch even if yo feel insecure from his abs and 599 Fiorano :)

Messi is better than Ronaldo, it's not close. The gap between Messi, Ronaldo and everyone else is big, but the gap between Messi and Ronaldo is also considerable. Ronaldo's record against the top sides in Europe is average at best. Messi simply destroys all comers, the only team in the Champions League he hasn't done it against is Chelsea, and even that could change by next week! When things aren't going Ronaldo's way, he gets the hump, the veins in his neck bulge and his performance drops. Messi keeps going even when he's having an extremely rare off night. You can see as well that when the two teams play, Ronaldo tries to do too much, whereas Messi would happily take a bad performance from him in exchange for the team winning. I don't know the exact stats, but I know he's scored far more goals against Madrid than Ronaldo has against Barca. I think the bias towards Ronaldo by some might be done to the fact that he's played in the premier league, we do have a habit over here of thinking the majority of the best players in the world play in this country.

Messi seems like a decent fella, while Cronaldo often comes across as an arrogant cnut. That's why Messi gets most of the praise, IMO.

Quality wise there's not much separating the two of them, though. Both incredibly talented players. Would be interesting to see if Messi could cut it in the PL like Cronaldo did.

He'd do whatever he wanted to if he played in our league. He gets lumps kicked out of him every week in La Liga and just gets up and gets on with it, see no reason why he wouldn't succed in the prem.

Messi is more naturally talented,but Ronaldo's dedication is second to none and he has improved every aspect of his game to the maximum.Messi is also more flashy,while Ronaldo is much more direct.

It would be interesting to see them swap clubs and compare how they would do after that because IMO Messi has a considerable advantage playing for Barca,especially in the el clasicos.At the moment Messi is rated higher,but if Ronaldo wins alot of silverware with Real and Portugal,that might change very quickly.

Messi is better than Ronaldo, it's not close. The gap between Messi, Ronaldo and everyone else is big, but the gap between Messi and Ronaldo is also considerable. Ronaldo's record against the top sides in Europe is average at best. Messi simply destroys all comers, the only team in the Champions League he hasn't done it against is Chelsea, and even that could change by next week! When things aren't going Ronaldo's way, he gets the hump, the veins in his neck bulge and his performance drops. Messi keeps going even when he's having an extremely rare off night. You can see as well that when the two teams play, Ronaldo tries to do too much, whereas Messi would happily take a bad performance from him in exchange for the team winning. I don't know the exact stats, but I know he's scored far more goals against Madrid than Ronaldo has against Barca. I think the bias towards Ronaldo by some might be done to the fact that he's played in the premier league, we do have a habit over here of thinking the majority of the best players in the world play in this country.

I've never seen a player like Messi who seems to dribble around people with consumate ease in and around the penalty area on such a regular basis. I've seen players do it in midfield, but Messi does it with four or five people around him. It's amazing.

This, if I was able to get 1 player at Spurs who could help us win the title/cups, it would Ronaldo.

As mentioned by other posters, he has proven it in two different leagues, while with good clubs, not the same quality as Barca. Ronaldo has had to carry Manure/Real at times, and has done so brilliantly, and at Real has had to do it through the revolving door of managers.

People forget, Messi can be completely anonymous for 85 minutes and it wouldn't be an issue, the rest of Barca could beat most teams without Messi quite easily. The amount of quality Barca has is what gives Messi the space to do his thing.

And for people who trot out the Ronaldo big game crap, Messi on the international stage = big dud.

Both truely great players, but if Messi ends his career at Barca without Argentina ever having won a major trophy, I honestly think they are more question marks over him than Ronaldo.

The problem with that logic is, Ronaldo has also struggled at International level or at the very least, hasn't hit the heights he has in club football. You could argue with conviction that he has failed to deliver on many occasions against the best sides in both club and international football, whereas Messi has NOTHING to prove at club level. He's broken Barca records, CL records, European records, the lot! International football is a different story, I agree he still has something to prove. But then again, if he ends up scoring 800 goals, wins 5 or 6 European Cups, 10 league titles, countless other cups and multiple Ballon D'ors and World Player of the year awards, then can there seriously be any debate about whether Messi is the best?

I don't think it's sensible to say that Ronaldo has carried a team that has the likes of Ozil, Alonso, Higuain, Di Maria, Benzema, Kaka and Callejon. They're not exactly West Ham! Real Madrid won the league 4 years ago ahead of a Barca team with most of the players that play for them now.

It's not fair to bash Messi with the haven't proved it in other leagues talk either, why should he leave Barca? No one questions Pele's achievements even though he only played for Santos and never played in Europe.

The problem with that logic is, Ronaldo has also struggled at International level or at the very least, hasn't hit the heights he has in club football. You could argue with conviction that he has failed to deliver on many occasions against the best sides in both club and international football, whereas Messi has NOTHING to prove at club level. He's broken Barca records, CL records, European records, the lot! International football is a different story, I agree he still has something to prove. But then again, if he ends up scoring 800 goals, wins 5 or 6 European Cups, 10 league titles, countless other cups and multiple Ballon D'ors and World Player of the year awards, then can there seriously be any debate about whether Messi is the best?

I don't think it's sensible to say that Ronaldo has carried a team that has the likes of Ozil, Alonso, Higuain, Di Maria, Benzema, Kaka and Callejon. They're not exactly West Ham! Real Madrid won the league 4 years ago ahead of a Barca team with most of the players that play for them now.

It's not fair to bash Messi with the haven't proved it in other leagues talk either, why should he leave Barca? No one questions Pele's achievements even though he only played for Santos and never played in Europe.

Codswallop - Messi is brick - Ronaldo is best

Good analysis!

Thanks dude

In all seriousness I look at Messi tonight and think well against physical teams he isnt that great. Ronaldo can handle the physical side also.

You pointed out that Ronaldo hasnt performed internationally but you are comparing a team like Portugal (although very good lack quality) and Argentina (who kind of have it all) yet Messi doesnt and hasnt performed all that well.

Thanks dude

In all seriousness I look at Messi tonight and think well against physical teams he isnt that great. Ronaldo can handle the physical side also.

You pointed out that Ronaldo hasnt performed internationally but you are comparing a team like Portugal (although very good lack quality) and Argentina (who kind of have it all) yet Messi doesnt and hasnt performed all that well.

Madrid are a very physical side when they want to be, and Messi has done it countless times against them.

I think Argentina have underachieved, but they've also had some crap coaches who have hindered them. That clown in 2006 cost them by taking off a striker against Germany (can't remember who it was), they had to play extra time with a toothless attack! Don't even get me started on Maradona! Scolari has managed Portugal, whatever you think of him, he has plenty of experience in World Cups so Ronaldo has probably had better coaches at internation level.

Messi and Ronaldo have both played in at least 2 European cup finals, Messi definitely outplayed Ronaldo in Rome, Ronaldo was also pretty annonymous in 2008 apart from his goal. He's outplayed him more often than not in El Clasicos too.

Thanks dude

no he cant. when he was in england he was renowned for diving for his whole career, and in spain they dont play tough football. Against Bayern this week he came up against a physical side and went missing for larger periods. Theres no way hes a physical player, he is about movement and deftness of touch, speed, power.

hes a little whiny cheating bitch.

no he cant. when he was in england he was renowned for diving for his whole career, and in spain they dont play tough football. Against Bayern this week he came up against a physical side and went missing for larger periods. Theres no way hes a physical player, he is about movement and deftness of touch, speed, power.

hes a little whiny cheating bitch.

Drogbaaaaaa falls down at the drop of a hat but doesnt mean he cant handle the English game. It just means he is a divin ****. Ronaldo is a bit of a divin **** - BUT that is how the game is. You dont like it, I dont like it and millions of people dont like it BUT unfortunately it is part of the game.

In regards to the Bayern game, he didnt really get the ball much and to be fair he set up the goal for Ozil so yeah you may be able to keep him quiet but he will still have some impact on the game.

What about the chance he fluffed he in the buildup to the goal? Messi wasn't getting the ball much in the final third, even when he did get the ball, there were 4 Chelsea players around him, so he dropped deeper to try and have a bigger influence on the game, Ronaldo does tend to sulk when things don't go for him.

Messi gets kicked to pieces almost every game, and it still unflappable!

Messi has more Champions League winners medals, more league titles, more ballon d'ors. I don't see how there can be any debate as to who is better. Ronaldo is a better physical specimen and is better in the air, but Messi is ahead in most other departments.

What about the chance he fluffed he in the buildup to the goal? Messi wasn't getting the ball much in the final third, even when he did get the ball, there were 4 Chelsea players around him, so he dropped deeper to try and have a bigger influence on the game, Ronaldo does tend to sulk when things don't go for him.

Messi gets kicked to pieces almost every game, and it still unflappable!

Messi has more Champions League winners medals, more league titles, more ballon d'ors. I don't see how there can be any debate as to who is better. Ronaldo is a better physical specimen and is better in the air, but Messi is ahead in most other departments.

We are nit picking. I could argue that Messi's mistake yesterday led to the chelscum goal - doesnt mean he is brick at passing and gives away goals all game every game.

Ultimately Ronaldo bigger, stronger and I think quicker He is more direct.

This is one of those where we could all debate about it all day every day, its a bit like arguing with an Arse or Chelscum fan about who is better us or them.

Thanks dude

Alternatively one could argue that Ronaldo has a history of not showing up in big matches against big teams. Instead of being a team player he tries to win these matches alone and ends up not getting the job done

We are nit picking. I could argue that Messi's mistake yesterday led to the chelscum goal - doesnt mean he is brick at passing and gives away goals all game every game.

This is one of those where we could all debate about it all day every day, its a bit like arguing with an Arse or Chelscum fan about who is better us or them.

Ronaldo is a phenomal player also, goes without saying I'd have him at Spurs tomorrow. Messi is the best player of my lifetime, Ronaldo would easily be in the top 5 along with Zidane, fat Ronaldo and probably Ronaldinho. The other thing that stands out for me is Messi's performances against Madrid. Yes he has a better team around him than Ronaldo does, but that goal in the Champions League semi final at the Bernabeu last season was all about Messi taking the game by the scruff of the neck, I don't see that often enough from Ronaldo against Barca.

I don't know where Messi would rank all time. Maradona v Pele is hard for me to call as I haven't seen enough of them both in their prime to judge other than highlights. But Maradona's achievements rank above Pele's IMO. Pele got injured during the 1962 world cup, and Brazil still went on to win the tournament! Maradona led an average Argentina team to the 1986 world cup, and reached another final with another average side. There's also his achievements with Napoli which we were special!

We tend to freeze more, especially in important matches, than both of those teams

Back