• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

O/T Ronaldo vs Messi

Superted

Jonathan Woodgate
Mate & I were having this discussion on the weekend. He's a portugeezer, so he may be a bit biased.

But our theory was, if Lionel Messi wasn't around, people would be talking about Cristiano Ronaldo, and comparing him to Pele, Maradona, etc the same way we are over Messi.

Messi gets all the plaudits and attention, yet you can't deny we are seeing something special with Ronaldo as well.

Must be hurting his incredibly large ego to think he could arguably be better than any player of the last 20 previous years, but not get the recognition because his footballing peak coincides with someone else who is just a bit better.

It's just such a privilige to see not one but two extremely talented, brilliant footballers at the one time.

Massive discussion few days ago in another thread on this very subject

He's not only matched Messi's ridiculous output over the last 2-3 odd years but also amazingly improved on a little in certain cases. Remarkable talent - a killer machine product of training, refinement and undoubtedly - talent deep within. The Uber-Soldat

Messi would always be preferenced against due to his club of association and of course - different style of play within a well-worked unit.

Attitude attitude, attitude! Messi seems to much less of an egotist. That is enough to get my vote over that taco Ronaldo.

We're seeing two of the greatest players ever at the moment. Even better, they're in the same league, playing for two outstanding teams and going for all the same trophies.

I think Messi edges it, because he creates more for his team and is slightly less easily shut out against the best defences imo. But they are both unbelievable, Ronaldo is an absolute machine.

Messi seems like a decent fella, while Cronaldo often comes across as an arrogant cnut. That's why Messi gets most of the praise, IMO.

Quality wise there's not much separating the two of them, though. Both incredibly talented players. Would be interesting to see if Messi could cut it in the PL like Cronaldo did.

I remember him from his early 'step over' days at Utd, never once for a minute thought he would turn out the player he has become. He is a genius at the game.

Messi seems like a decent fella, while Cronaldo often comes across as an arrogant cnut. That's why Messi gets most of the praise, IMO.

Quality wise there's not much separating the two of them, though. Both incredibly talented players. Would be interesting to see if Messi could cut it in the PL like Cronaldo did.

I don't see why he'd have a problem tbh, can't imagine the behemoths of Shawcross, Bramble and Johnson causing him all that much trouble.

Did anyone see that program where they looked at Ronaldo scientifically? Absolutely amazing the things he does without him even realising it eg - when one on one trying to beat a player his eyes lock on and switch between the ball and the opposing players various body parts (feet, hip joints) so he knows (subconsiously) in advance where the player will move to intercept him.

EDIT: Here we go ----> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmtwEwAf9Tk

I love the way he strikes a shot, alot of the time he hardly seems to pull his leg back yet manages to get off an absolute bullet (usually with some kind of curve on too)

Its incredibly unique, never see any other players strike the ball the same way

Today, I have no doubt Messi is the better player. About 2 years ago I would have argued vehemently for Ronaldo.

I still think on his day, Ronaldo is the scariest. Just the speed at how he does thing, it's incredible.

had a bit of a snooze last night! dosnt like it up him, never has. still, amazing player. I prefer messi, his dad still drove him to training until recently. if thats not down to earth I dont know what is!

Did anyone see that program where they looked at Ronaldo scientifically? Absolutely amazing the things he does without him even realising it eg - when one on one trying to beat a player his eyes lock on and switch between the ball and the opposing players various body parts (feet, hip joints) so he knows (subconsiously) in advance where the player will move to intercept him.

EDIT: Here we go ----> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmtwEwAf9Tk

I saw that. They even had him finishing off crosses in the dark as he knew where the ball would be based on its initial trajectory.

I prefer watching Madrid but Messi is a better player in my opinion.

On one hand - Ronaldo has performed at this level for two different clubs in two different leagues, and has performed at major international tournaments too. Messi has only performed for one team ever, that has arguably the greatest midfield of all time supplying him.

On the other - When was the last time Ronaldo really performed in a big game? Certainly can't remember many in a Madrid shirt. Messi regularly hits top form in the Clasicos and in the Champions League.

I remember him from his early 'step over' days at Utd, never once for a minute thought he would turn out the player he has become. He is a genius at the game.

I thought the opposite. At 18 he was already better than most players playing professional football! He seemingly went backwards for a while (maybe carrying an injury?) but that blip didn't last long. All I will say is that he never seemed to fancy it away from home at Utd in the winter months, but I guess he doesn't have issue in Spain.

I hate the bastard, but he is an exceptional player. I think Messi is better though.....

Ronaldo still suffers from his gel-boy image.

But the fact of the matter is he is a phenomenon. No doubt about it, and as much as it pains me to say it. You simply have to take your hat off to him. Messi's existence doesn't change that whether he's better, the same or "worse".

I would have Ronaldo instantly - I am not a big fan of Messi although I acknowledge he is one of the best around.

I would prefer Ronaldo at Spurs over Messi 100 times out of a 100.

I would have Ronaldo instantly - I am not a big fan of Messi although I acknowledge he is one of the best around.

And I'd prefer Frankie from the Saturdays on my D, but none of it's gonna happen.

This, if I was able to get 1 player at Spurs who could help us win the title/cups, it would Ronaldo.

As mentioned by other posters, he has proven it in two different leagues, while with good clubs, not the same quality as Barca. Ronaldo has had to carry Manure/Real at times, and has done so brilliantly, and at Real has had to do it through the revolving door of managers.

People forget, Messi can be completely anonymous for 85 minutes and it wouldn't be an issue, the rest of Barca could beat most teams without Messi quite easily. The amount of quality Barca has is what gives Messi the space to do his thing.

And for people who trot out the Ronaldo big game crap, Messi on the international stage = big dud.

Both truely great players, but if Messi ends his career at Barca without Argentina ever having won a major trophy, I honestly think they are more question marks over him than Ronaldo.

Back