• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

O/T European Cup Changes?

Re: O/T Champions League

2005 - CSKA Moscow - CL drop out
2006 - Sevilla - proper
2007 - Sevilla - proper
2008 - Zenit - proper
2009 - Shakhtar - CL drop out
2010 - Atletico Madrid - CL drop out
2011 - FC Porto - proper
2012 - Atletico Madrid - proper

37% in other words

2005 - CSKA Moscow - CL drop out
2006 - Sevilla - proper
2007 - Sevilla - proper
2008 - Zenit - proper
2009 - Shakhtar - CL drop out
2010 - Atletico Madrid - CL drop out
2011 - FC Porto - proper
2012 - Atletico Madrid - proper

37% in other words

You're right, i'm reading the tables completely wrong.. -_-...

Galatasaray? But that was well after the introduction of the CL. I'm taking in the days before that. Back then, winning a European trophy was winning a European trophy. The rank formerly went 1) EC 2) Uefa 3) CWC but you could throw a blanket over them. They were all big deals to win. Neither of the latter competitions was the same after they introduced the Champions League.

The CL has been in exitence since 1955 - a new tune and graphics were introduced in the early 90s and massive TV rights but this is not a new competition and was always regarded as the cream of the crop.

The EL is still a big competition to win - nothing has changed except for the advertising strategies

That makes it less a European league, and more a 'How well can you do against your national rivals' league.

Plus what happens to the Nations that only get one spot?

If it ever happens, it'll be overly complicated..

It can't happen. That would be the end of football for many I think. Prior to money taking over anyone could challenge. Now it's a bit harder, but still possible.

Platini said that he was not worried by reports Europe's richest clubs were planning a competition to rival the Champions League.
'It's a question that is regularly brought up,' he said.
'It doesn't worry me. I can't see how it could work outside the UEFA framework.
'Who will referee them? In what stadiums will they play? A lot of people want them? I don't think so.

Just throw them out of all competitions run by their national association. The fans that go to the games wouldn't want to give up on more than a century of traditions. The beauty of European competitions used to be the random nature of it. Every season you get to experience some teams you haven't seen before and from the QF stage you'd get the big clubs matching up, but not the same set of fixtures every season.

That makes it less a European league, and more a 'How well can you do against your national rivals' league.

Plus what happens to the Nations that only get one spot?

If it ever happens, it'll be overly complicated..

..or a closed shop.

The CL has been in exitence since 1955 - a new tune and graphics were introduced in the early 90s and massive TV rights but this is not a new competition and was always regarded as the cream of the crop

Simply wrong. They changed the qualification rules along with the name, which made a massive difference. Not just to the other European competitions but to domestic trophies too. And the latter was especially true in this country. There was little between the EC and the Uefa. The EC was harder to get into because you had to win the league but the Uefa Cup was harder to win, once in in it, because of more competition. They were both considered a big deal. This is a world away from the differences between the 'European Cup' and 'Uefa Cup' today.

Simply wrong. They changed the qualification rules along with the name, which made a massive difference. Not just to the other European competitions but to domestic trophies too. And the latter was especially true in this country. There was little between the EC and the Uefa. The EC was harder to get into because you had to win the league but the Uefa Cup was harder to win, once in in it, because of more competition. They were both considered a big deal. This is a world away from the differences between the 'European Cup' and 'Uefa Cup' today.

The changeover from EC to CL also included several different formats as the competition evolved.

there's an argument that the uefa cup was harder to win the the european cup back in the day as it had multiple top sides from the "better" leagues where as the european cup only had one (in addition to last years winner)

looking back at 82 for example the only Italian side in the EC was Juve, the only (West) German side Munich and the only Spanish side was Sociedad, the UC by contrast had Inter, Napoli, Kaiserslautern, BMg, Hamburg, Stuttgart, both Madrids and Valencia

Simply wrong. They changed the qualification rules along with the name, which made a massive difference. Not just to the other European competitions but to domestic trophies too. And the latter was especially true in this country.

Eh?

I feel we're arguing different aspects here. It is fundamentally the same competition which has been 'adjusted' to include a wider range of (richer) clubs and expanded as a product to generate greater revenues

It is accepted and statistically recorded as the same trophy since 1955 - this is not a brand new competition which started in the 90s.

Last edited:

The EC was harder to get into because you had to win the league but the Uefa Cup was harder to win, once in in it, because of more competition. They were both considered a big deal. This is a world away from the differences between the 'European Cup' and 'Uefa Cup' today.

Have you seen some of the clubs in this year's CL?

How is it a world away - don't let TV imagery and supremacist advertising be telling factor here.

Actually you need to win more games to win the EL today and the UEFA Cup 10 years ago.

Last edited:

Top seven teams in the "champions" league, eh? Since the Champions League is a league of, well, champions (according to UEFA definitions), does that mean we can rightly so call ourselves Champions of England 2009/2010?

champions league should be just that - literally.

as for another competition format, i fancy the FA cup everyone-in-it-to-win-it knock-out-style type tourney. I imagine that even Barca would struggle playing some League One team in England on a Wednesday night!

champions league should be just that - literally.

as for another competition format, i fancy the FA cup everyone-in-it-to-win-it knock-out-style type tourney. I imagine that even Barca would struggle playing some League One team in England on a Wednesday night!

If they want a group stage they should wait to a later round. 64 teams, that's 16 groups, far too many.

Have you seen some of the clubs in this year's CL?

How is it a world away - don't let TV imagery and supremacist advertising be telling factor here.

Actually you need to win more games to win the EL today and the UEFA Cup 10 years ago.

Nothing to do with advertising. It is the facts of the way you qualify for each competition. The Uefa Cup before the expanded EC had teams circa 2nd-4th in the top leagues. So who cares how many more games you need to play now - it was obviously a stronger competition back then.

there's an argument that the uefa cup was harder to win the the european cup back in the day as it had multiple top sides from the "better" leagues where as the european cup only had one (in addition to last years winner)

looking back at 82 for example the only Italian side in the EC was Juve, the only (West) German side Munich and the only Spanish side was Sociedad, the UC by contrast had Inter, Napoli, Kaiserslautern, BMg, Hamburg, Stuttgart, both Madrids and Valencia

Exactly. There was little between them. Both big deals to win. The differences between the CL and the EL are huge in comparison. Not just in the perception of the fans but the owners and the players too.

it all boils down to the money, CL is worth so much compared to the EL, if they changed that then the EL would become a better comp.

I believe it will move to a bigger CL but then it will move to a european league where the Champs of each league play a league of 10 teams

Why is that far too many?

Current europa league is 12, that doesn't seem too much.

It's just too many games at the same time I feel. Would be more interesting if they had a couple of knockout rounds first and had a stronger group stage. Or just skipped the groups. Would be less resting of players and putting out reserves.

Nothing to do with advertising. It is the facts of the way you qualify for each competition. The Uefa Cup before the expanded EC had teams circa 2nd-4th in the top leagues. So who cares how many more games you need to play now - it was obviously a stronger competition back then.

Not sure if serious?

Have a look at some of the teams in this year's EL

Having more top 7 teams than a single Top 7 club means the average standard/quality is increased and it subsequently becomes harder to compete with more top league teams

It's just too many games at the same time I feel. Would be more interesting if they had a couple of knockout rounds first and had a stronger group stage. Or just skipped the groups. Would be less resting of players and putting out reserves.

Er.. So instead of having 8 CL groups and 12 EL groups just having 16 groups would be too much?

8+12 > 16 as far as i was aware..

Back