• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

O/T European Cup Changes?

Jordinho

Ron Henry
Staff member
Seven English clubs could soon qualify for the lucrative Champions League if UEFA decide to ditch the Europa League.

UEFA president Michel Platini admitted talks were on-going about the future of the European competitions amid reports Europe's top clubs were considering launching their own tournament.

Asked about possible plans to extend the elite Champions League at the expense of the second-tier Europa League by the French newspaper Ouest-France, Platini said: 'There is an ongoing debate to determine what form the European competitions will have between 2015 and 2018.

'We're discussing it, we will make a decision in 2014. Nothing is decided yet.'

One of the options being looked at is the possibility of extending the final phase of the Champions League from 32 to 64 teams, which could allow up to seven English clubs to take part.

The Europa League generates far lower revenue for clubs than the Champions League and has been criticised since it evolved from the UEFA Cup in 2009.

Platini said that he was not worried by reports Europe's richest clubs were planning a competition to rival the Champions League.

'It's a question that is regularly brought up,' he said.

'It doesn't worry me. I can't see how it could work outside the UEFA framework.

'Who will referee them? In what stadiums will they play? A lot of people want them? I don't think so.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2239570/Champions-League-UEFA-consider-64-team-plan-scrapping-Europa-League.html

Something I've suggested myself a few times. If you don't have a champions only tournament, just have one European Cup instead.

Re: O/T Champions League

I disagree - we need stronger incentives in the EL and agressive re-branding of what is essentially Europe's second most prestigious club tronphy - The UEFA Cup

Bring back the cupwinners cup and give the winner of the UEFA cup a place in the Champions league k/o stages.

Will it still be called the champions league? It's a bit of a joke that it's called that now

Interesting.. Going back to having one tournament wouldn't be a bad thing, but it seems pretty silly to call it the 'champions' league and then put seven teams from one country in.

Though he does say nothing is decided yet, so they are likely far from deciding the best (£££) course of action.

I can't see them putting all the dross that's currently in the Europa league in the Champions League. Too many crap games that people wouldn't be interested in, would only get interest for the last 32 or 16 so a waste of time.

As we all know UEFA are useless so I suspect what we'll get is a competition where the rubbish leagues teams and also runs from good leagues go into. It'll have a league to start and qualifiers from the league will then play each other as well as champions league losers. That sounds about right. They'll call it the Europa super league.

a step closer to a european league

imo this expansion being suggested will happen.

I disagree - we need stronger incentives in the EL and agressive re-branding of what is essentially Europe's second most prestigious club tronphy - The UEFA Cup

Dunno, I think this is half the problem. It will always be the 2nd trophy. The CWC, Uefa and European Cup were all prestigious trophies with a combination of all the top teams in Europe. Now all the top teams are in the CL, full stop. So this just seems like a logical progression. I'd just rather go back to the way it was but it is not going to happen.

The CWC and UC were never as prestigious / rich back then and had as many smaller teams / winners (Galatasaray being the most recent which springs to mind)

There are some great teams in the EL this year alone although the 'product' itself needs massive improvement, imv

The CWC and UC were never as prestigious / rich back then and had as many smaller teams / winners

There are some great teams in the EL this year alone

But the fact that in all likelihood the EL could be won by a CL dropout just makes it a bit of a tinkle take.

Both Arab Moneybags FC and Russian Moneybags FC look like they could in all likelihood drop in.

The same way Man Utd and bricky won it last year?

I agree on the drop outs aspect but not on the general inferiority aspect

The same way Man Utd and bricky won it last year?

I agree on the drop outs aspect but not on the general inferiority aspect

One year is hardly statistically relevant, but i should probably go and see the % of CL dropout winners over the past 10/15 years..

The CWC and UC were never as prestigious / rich back then and had as many smaller teams / winners (Galatasaray being the most recent which springs to mind)

Galatasaray? But that was well after the introduction of the CL. I'm taking in the days before that. Back then, winning a European trophy was winning a European trophy. The rank formerly went 1) EC 2) Uefa 3) CWC but you could throw a blanket over them. They were all big deals to win. Neither of the latter competitions was the same after they introduced the Champions League.

a step closer to a european league

imo this expansion being suggested will happen.

Would this be such a bad thing? At the moment the top teams in england are the only ones who can win the PL or the CL. If they went into a dedicated EL it frees up other teams :-k to actually win the PL. As I see it, the sticking point is how you get relegated/promoted from PL to EL - the bottom placed EL team from your country (even if they finish 2nd/3rd) gets replaced by the winner of your league?

In the last five years it's been won by..

12 - Play off round
11 - Play off round
10 - Group stage
09 - Group stage
08 - Second qualifying round

Fair enough, I'll concede the point, bit surprised that in the last five years there have been no CL dropout winners though.

Would this be such a bad thing? At the moment the top teams in england are the only ones who can win the PL or the CL. If they went into a dedicated EL it frees up other teams :-k to actually win the PL. As I see it, the sticking point is how you get relegated/promoted from PL to EL - the bottom placed EL team from your country (even if they finish 2nd/3rd) gets replaced by the winner of your league?

That makes it less a European league, and more a 'How well can you do against your national rivals' league.

Plus what happens to the Nations that only get one spot?

If it ever happens, it'll be overly complicated..

I don't see how this new proposal is designed to prevent a superleague. This big clubs want a guaranteed share of the money and that means substantial revenue just for reaching the group stage of the CL, which is worth far more than winning the Europa League. An expanded CL would remove this automatic money. The only big clubs threatened with missing out are in England so I can't see Platini make changes to help them.

When is Platini up for election? UEFA has a lot of smaller nations with votes for the UEFA presidency. It seems more likely that this is a ploy to increase the likelihood of clubs from smaller nations participating in the main competition.

Back