• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

No Saggy-face thread?!?

I think that is an interesting point. I think you have to look at what that lady garden Rodgers achieved with the bin dippers last season with a squad that IMO no better the one Harry had at his disposal in his final season. Rodgers had to contend with Mourinho and Wenger and finished above them both and came within a cat's whisker of winning the title ahead of City. We were never that close with Harry.
I'd say the side Brenton had was massively inferior to the one 'Arry had.

I think that is an interesting point. I think you have to look at what that lady garden Rodgers achieved with the bin dippers last season with a squad that IMO no better the one Harry had at his disposal in his final season. Rodgers had to contend with Mourinho and Wenger and finished above them both and came within a cat's whisker of winning the title ahead of City. We were never that close with Harry.

They also had Luis Suarez in the kind of form that none of our players got anywhere close to. Plus another brick hot striker in Daniel Sturridge.

No it isn't. We could absolutely have pushed for the title. Sorry, that was the time. Yes, Man U still had Fergie, the same Fergie who knew he was just about done. He took his eye off the ball. Twice. In the event, I'd have just been fudgeing delighted if he'd achieved your project ceiling for that season. Instead he blew that. Twice too. Remember, he got it back in his hands with only TWO games left. Win them. Just win against a crudty Villa and a flat Fulham. Instead he was lost, bewildered and clueless. As for Modric, we've been down this path before year ago and I got hammered then but I will say it again. He was told by his agent, Mamic, to try and force a move. I cannot genuinely believe that YOU believe everything a player says with regards to transfers. The bottom line is, the ONLY person who didn't play Modric because 'his head wasn't right' was Harry. The player himself had another excellent season for us, consistently delivering fine performances. I cannot make sense of your hypothesis at the end.

Push for title yes, finish above Fergie and Emirates Marketing Project? Not a chance, we were punching above our weight even being so close to them in the first place. If Defoe gets his toe on the end of Bale's cross then maybe it is a slight possibility.

I'm not talking about Modric and Real Madrid, I am talking about when he publicly stated he wanted to play for Chelsea and that they were a bigger club than us. Imagine if Poch was tapped up by Roman and didn't want to manage the league cup final against them. The stick he would get would be unbelievable!

They also had Luis Suarez in the kind of form that none of our players got anywhere close to. Plus another crud hot striker in Daniel Sturridge.

Suarez wasn't, isn't and never will be a patch on Bale. Modric could do anything Stevie Me could with one leg chopped off and King would be insulted to be in the same room as any of their defence.

That team we had should have at least pushed for the title - winning it would require a mentality bred by longer term success IMO.

I've always found the term "saggy" or "twitchy" extremely distasteful given how he only has the twitch due to a car crash in which another man lost his life. I get that he's not everyon'e cup of tea and yes he is out for himself (who isn't out for themselves in football btw?) but I don't know why people can't extend the same courtesy they do to Bale, Berbs and Modric etc who left the club in similarly strained relationships with the club to an extent, but they are still treated as heroes.

Did a crude job at QPR no argument there, some of the antipathy towards him is pathetic.

Just retire now Redknapp, you've had your day.

In my experience most people in life are only out for themselves, I agree with the whole offence about twitchy face as well, now if people wanted to call him a wheeler dealer with questionable morales it would be a different matter.

I know someone who worked with the first team while Redknapp was in charge and I know for a fact that he never used to work on tactics. Now sometimes I feel we can over complicate the game. But I got told he did not even work on things like if we were attacking which midfielders should be in defensive mode and be looking to cover the defence.

The guy whose name I obviously will not give as they still work in the game, said he and others found it shocking and it was only because we had such good players that Redknapp survived. This is the same guy who told me that AVB gave up in his last month in charge, but has also told me that the current first team love playing for Poch from what he hears from friends still at the club.

I never got the hate on here from some for Rodgers I think he is a good manager.

According to posters on a QPR forum (this isn't exactly news): All Redknapp did all week was sit in his office and chat on the phone with journo and agent mates and his son, then pop down to the training pitch for 30 minutes the day before a game. Don't see how a dodgy knee prevents him from doing that.

I think Harry time at Spurs came to an end the same time it did at QPR, in the Jan window.

He wanted to freshen things up when we started the season like a rocket and we didn't, he never truly recovered from that transfer window in my opinion....

He always wants to add just one or two more players. If he was any good at managing the ones he already had, that wouldn't be necessary.

The Squad Harry had was all round better than Liverpool's last season, our defence was miles better as was the midfield, in fact the only thing that they had and we didn't was Suarez as Bale hadn't gone bat sh!t crazy yet.

I get quite annoyed when people suggest that we where unlucky we didnt get in the CL after Chelsea won it, or its typical Spurs luck.

It wasn't, it was bad management, in which two games stick out, the 5-2 at Arsenal when we went into the game too open, we some how got a 2-0 lead and instead of shutting up shop decided to keep the game open.

Villa away, brings on Parker instead of Defoe when we needed a goal.

I am going to defend Levy here as well, what can you do in the window when the manager wants unrealistic targets or players that you cant have because of rules(Tevez on loan)?

That side should have been challenging for cups year on year and the title, maybe it would have if he paid more attention to the team rather than offering Rodgers the assistant managers job before a game.

OMG..... not this thread again,when did he leave us,how many managers have we had since,what has been our highest position since.

Its so laughable and cringeworthy what people say about Harry,but you can't get away that he took us to our highest position in how many years,the champs league quarter finals even Emirates Marketing Project haven't come close to that and how much money have they thrown at it!!

Where were we when he took over 2 points from 8 games,where did we end up,lol.

All these accusations my GHod how many times have we heard them ....bale being sold....tax avasion....england job...on and on.....everyone has got some source of sorts that all these stories are true,so what,who cares,does anyone know him personally.....anyone.......no one.....so we move on.....Pocho could win us the league cup,europa cup and take us to third in the league.......what happens if Barcelona come calling then for him,he be gone before anyone says Nou Camp.......will he get ripped to pieces,of course he will,but then someone else comes in and we start again.

I look at QPR results but don't laugh and hoot if they lose,that club has lost its direction years ago,listen to their fans,but he still took them back up,he did a fair job at Portsmouth,winning a cup final.

Just move on.........we've got 6 big big games in the next month or so i be thinking about those most of the time,nothing else.

In my experience most people in life are only out for themselves, I agree with the whole offence about twitchy face as well, now if people wanted to call him a wheeler dealer with questionable morales it would be a different matter.

I know someone who worked with the first team while Redknapp was in charge and I know for a fact that he never used to work on tactics. Now sometimes I feel we can over complicate the game. But I got told he did not even work on things like if we were attacking which midfielders should be in defensive mode and be looking to cover the defence.

The guy whose name I obviously will not give as they still work in the game, said he and others found it shocking and it was only because we had such good players that Redknapp survived.

Yep, this is was a common whisper at the time. And another was that when the England job in his mind was his after the court case, he did even less work and preparation for matches. We could all see that on the pitch, especially his random application to managing a football match that was seen in that infamous Walcott-inspired 5-2 at the Death Star in Feb 2012....

This is the same guy who told me that AVB gave up in his last month in charge, but has also told me that the current first team love playing for Poch from what he hears from friends still at the club.

This all sound a bit deja vu doesn't it? I mean wasn't the same being said about AVB at the beginning as well by various ITKs? Plus wasn't it the same being said under almost all our previous new managers??
Or does your source say they love MoPo more than AVB, Harry etc?

The Squad Harry had was all round better than Liverpool's last season, our defence was miles better as was the midfield, in fact the only thing that they had and we didn't was Suarez as Bale hadn't gone bat sh!t crazy yet.

I think that is the crucial difference. Liverpool had Suarez in top form and had him in the right position to excel. With Bale we had a fantastic young talent but were still struggling to find out how best to use him. This is not necessarily a criticism of 'Arry or AVB, as Bale was still developing rapidly as a player.

As to the discussion on 'Arry and tactics, I have problems with the idea all he did was tell them to run around a bit. He may not have been the most tactical of managers but he must have done something more. If he didn't, then the idea that our slump was because he took the eye of the ball needs reevaluating. If our good play was because the players were good enough, then we can't blame the slump on the manager.

I've been thinking about our terrible form following Europa League games (ten losses since the beginning of last season). Most of the time we played very different teams, so player tiredness cannot be the explanation. I think it has to be about preparation for the game. If the manager is focusing on the EL, the preparation of the PL team gets neglected. Winning at top level sports is all about small percentages. I think 'Arry's flirtation for the England job caused a similar lack of attention to game preparation. I find it hard to believe that this solely due to lack of a motivational instruction to run around a bit.

I look at QPR results but don't laugh and hoot if they lose,that club has lost its direction years ago,listen to their fans,but he still took them back up,he did a fair job at Portsmouth,winning a cup final.

I totally agree with this for a number of reasons.

Tony Fernandes like 90% of football chairman in England comes from a successful business background but continues to run the club like he has never run a business in his life, it always amazes me the chairman in the world like that. Also like you say the QPR ship has been rudderless since way back, just watch the 5 year plan or whatever its called to see that. Like Pompey before them the club was rotten to the core, the Pompey situation was even more complex than anyone will ever know to the point they couldn't even work out who owned the club.

Yeh Harry has no problems spending the cash, but then again neither does Van Gaal or Mourinho or Baldini...But they do so in some good faith that the person who is signing the cheques has the finances to do so. Sometimes the managers in that style leave if the club hold the purse strings too tightly, in Redknapps case that's usually his MO but its down to the clubs to manage their finances and be strong against overspending. Was it David O'Leary's fault that Leeds are now in a state of disrepair or the past chairman's?

This subject is close to my heart really as I have seen my local club go under and I was also at Pompeys last premiership game as a guest of a friend and fans were crying at the entrance whilst players on 80k a week left in 150k cars and that's not the managers fault that's someone within the club who has recklessly played Championship Manager with the club. You can create over inflated contracts in an hour but it takes decades to fix the mess....that's the definition of recklessness in football.

Its easy to blame Redknapp for it, it fits the media profile and people can't think off that track, its frankly slightly naive to think any manager has the power to kill a club other than results on the pitch and even then the club has the power to pull the trigger.

I get quite annoyed when people suggest that we where unlucky we didnt get in the CL after Chel53a won it, or its typical Spurs luck.

It wasn't, it was bad management, in which two games stick out, the 5-2 at Ar5ena1 when we went into the game too open, we some how got a 2-0 lead and instead of shutting up shop decided to keep the game open.

Villa away, brings on Parker instead of Defoe when we needed a goal.

I am going to defend Levy here as well, what can you do in the window when the manager wants unrealistic targets or players that you cant have because of rules(Tevez on loan)?

That side should have been challenging for cups year on year and the title, maybe it would have if he paid more attention to the team rather than offering Rodgers the assistant managers job before a game.

I'd say the side Brenton had was massively inferior to the one 'Arry had.

we never had Suarez and Sturridge, we never had any decent strikers full stop, so i dont think its right Brentons side was inferior to the one Redknapp had. Also Coutinho was bang in form, Gerrard and Henderson dovetailing in midfield, and then there was the emergence of Sterling. Going forward Liverpool were mesmerizing, we never had that kind of attacking threat under redknapp and the players at his disposal.We were good, but not as good as Liverpool were last season, no way.

Brenton's defence was way inferior to what Redknapp had at his disposal, thats about it.

we never had Suarez and Sturridge, we never had any decent strikers full stop, so i dont think its right Brentons side was inferior to the one Redknapp had. Also Coutinho was bang in form, Gerrard and Henderson dovetailing in midfield, and then there was the emergence of Sterling. Going forward Liverpool were mesmerizing, we never had that kind of attacking threat under redknapp and the players at his disposal.We were good, but not as good as Liverpool were last season, no way.

Brenton's defence was way inferior to what Redknapp had at his disposal, thats about it.
The team we had all clearly had the ability to be better than Brenton's they were just mismanaged.

Suarez wasn't, isn't and never will be a patch on Bale. Modric could do anything Stevie Me could with one leg chopped off and King would be insulted to be in the same room as any of their defence.

That team we had should have at least pushed for the title - winning it would require a mentality bred by longer term success IMO.

That's your opinion. Suarez and Cavani dragged a pretty average Uruguay team to the World Cup semis and to a Copa America title. Suarez played better last season than Bale ever has in his career so far. You can see how far they have fallen since he left.

The comment about Gerrard isn't even worth responding to. The level of bias against Liverpool on this forum is hilarious. It borders on obsession sometimes.

Suarez played better last season than Bale ever has in his career so far

I think Bales last season for us come pretty close, also the S,S,S trip was unplayable as a unit and a lot of Suarez success came from Stirling. That trip was frightening.

What for me made Bales season extra special is the fact he did it on his own, pretty much picked us out the boredom and did it alone. Freekicks, wondergoals, runs from half way, the bloody lot. Even down to the last game of the season he did the business alone. Suarez deserves all the praise he got for last season, but I can't praise Bale enough for what he did for us in that last season.

The team we had all clearly had the ability to be better than Brenton's they were just mismanaged.

If Jose or Sir Alex had been in charge, they could have won the league with that side.

The midfield was brilliant, even the back up players like Niko/Thud where decent and good enough to do the job if came in.

Back