• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager

Who do you want as the next Spurs manager?

• Tim Sherwood

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • Glenn Hoddle

• Michael Laudrup

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Ole Gunnar Solskjær

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Fabio Capello

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Lucien Favre

• Luciano Spalletti

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Marcelo Bielsa

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 53 46.5%

• Total voters
Levy has been quoted as saying that he wants the matter to be resolved quickly. I hope that means a new full time appointment is made soon. A caretaker manager, like Deadwood, being put in charge isn't resolving the issue, it's delaying the bigger decision.

Smacks of Pleat in '03/'04. Seems we will always be a team in transition

Levy has been quoted as saying that he wants the matter to be resolved quickly. I hope that means a new full time appointment is made soon. A caretaker manager, like Deadwood, being put in charge isn't resolving the issue, it's delaying the bigger decision.

Sorry mate but can you post the link, I can't see anything anywhere. On Skysports it just says he's at the training, no quotes to be seen.

There is a good chance that De Boer may consider waiting it out for the Barca job considering Martino is under constant pressure there.

Bottom line is de Boer is not leaving Ajax before the summer, and really that's not the least bit surprising. It would be an utterly bizarre thing for him to do. If Baldini can get his signature now for the summer we should go for it, but I'm not even sure de Boer would go for that. He holds all the cards - he probably knows we won't appoint a perm manager mid-season, so he can sit tight and either pick us or a better job if there's one going in the summer.

Moreover, having so publicly gone for de Boer, turning round now and asking someone else to do it seems totally futile/ridiculous.

Nope, it's Sherwood and Friends now till season's end IMO.

Had a dream last night that I was at Fabio Capello's first news conference as our new manager.

Can't see it happening though, I think the 'I didn't even know AVB had been sacked, I've been flying all day' qoute was a heavy hint that he didn't want the job.

I usually avoid Sky Sports website like the plague, but decided to have a look today. Jamie Redknapp's view

"It's a great job for someone to take over because with the players they've got there is still a lot of quality there. The first person you think of, because of Franco Baldini being there, is Fabio Capello. Obviously they have a vested interest together. But it's not that easy. The young managers you'd want, people like Jurgen Klopp and Diego Simeone, are in the Champions League. It's not that easy to go and get the manager that you want."

So essentially, whilst being paid for his 'expert opinion', Redknapp offers the equivalent of a fart in a bath.

Will be interesting to see which managers are linked with us solely by Sky Sports. See their odds be slashed, only for it to be dismissed the next day, whilst in the meantime people have been throwing money on the reliable info of 'Sky Sources'

The Bergkamp this is being portrayed as a real problem however there are a number of precedents for this sort of thing, the most glaring one being Steven Gerrard spending all his career at Liverpool despite being an Everton fan!

Don't forget Brian Kidd (Man Utd/City) either.

I don't see it being a problem but I agree that FDB won't leave, especially mid season.

Bottom line is de Boer is not leaving Ajax before the summer, and really that's not the least bit surprising. It would be an utterly bizarre thing for him to do. If Baldini can get his signature now for the summer we should go for it, but I'm not even sure de Boer would go for that. He holds all the cards - he probably knows we won't appoint a perm manager mid-season, so he can sit tight and either pick us or a better job if there's one going in the summer.

Moreover, having so publicly gone for de Boer, turning round now and asking someone else to do it seems totally futile/ridiculous.

Nope, it's Sherwood and Friends now till season's end IMO.

I would be delighted to see a deal agreed now for De Boer to come in the summer but as you say there is no compelling reason for him to commit to anything now.

His stock is rising at the moment but he certainly isn't considered in the top bracket of managers yet, so our one hope is that he is not in demand by another team yet (and he fancies a move). Sure, he may have a chance at the Barca job or some other big European job come summer time, but then again maybe not. It could be that a 100% nailed on job at Spurs it worth taking rather than hoping that something else comes up.

Yes I'm clutching at straws.

If we stick with Sherdinand our season is over. We need at a minimum someone who has managed before IMO and is not completely ****e at it.

I would be delighted to see a deal agreed now for De Boer to come in the summer but as you say there is no compelling reason for him to commit to anything now.

His stock is rising at the moment but he certainly isn't considered in the top bracket of managers yet, so our one hope is that he is not in demand by another team yet (and he fancies a move). Sure, he may have a chance at the Barca job or some other big European job come summer time, but then again maybe not. It could be that a 100% nailed on job at Spurs it worth taking rather than hoping that something else comes up.

Yes I'm clutching at straws.

If we stick with Sherdinand our season is over. We need at a minimum someone who has managed before IMO and is not completely ****e at it.

De Boer would be silly to publicly agree to something like that now, having an entire club know that the manager is going at the end of the season is a terrible situation for a football club.

I wouldn't be delighted with any situation that leads to us having and interim manager until the end of the season personally. Unless it somehow meant getting one of the top managers in the world, and that's not happening anyway.

De Boer is promising, but unproven yet. There are other manager targets in a similar bracket to him and if we can't get De Boer immediately then we should look towards another name.

De Boer would be silly to publicly agree to something like that now, having an entire club know that the manager is going at the end of the season is a terrible situation for a football club.

I wouldn't be delighted with any situation that leads to us having and interim manager until the end of the season personally. Unless it somehow meant getting one of the top managers in the world, and that's not happening anyway.

De Boer is promising, but unproven yet. There are other manager targets in a similar bracket to him and if we can't get De Boer immediately then we should look towards another name.

I agree that an interim manager really doesn't get us anywhere but I'd still rather wait than to appoint someone who is more likely to fail than not. Of course this is hard to predict and there are no certainties in this business, but you still need to be as clever as you can with your choices. As you say we won't be getting any of the top managers irrespective but I would still like a manager who would not be seen as a short term fix. We shopping in the promising but not fully proven market whether it happens now or the summer.

If I was being perfectly honest how attractive are we to any manager now anyway. Whatever the truth behind sacking AVB it hasn't helped the image of the club.

I agree that an interim manager really doesn't get us anywhere but I'd still rather wait than to appoint someone who is more likely to fail than not. Of course this is hard to predict and there are no certainties in this business, but you still need to be as clever as you can with your choices. As you say we won't be getting any of the top managers irrespective but I would still like a manager who would not be seen as a short term fix. We shopping in the promising but not fully proven market whether it happens now or the summer.

If I was being perfectly honest how attractive are we to any manager now anyway. Whatever the truth behind sacking AVB it hasn't helped the image of the club.

Waiting until the summer means leaving the January transfer window in limbo.

Waiting until the summer means that the new manager won't have the second half of this season to assess the squad along with Baldini and the rest of the backroom staff to put us in a good situation to identify the right targets this summer.

Waiting until the summer means a smaller chance of the current season being successful, with some of our players closing in on top class in addition to potentially showing themselves classy at the World Cup means that there's a slightly smaller chance of holding on to those key players come the summer. In addition to the importance of the current season we're in, potential cup wins etc.

That, to me, all adds up to that getting someone in right away should be a massive priority. And that even if manager X is deemed to be slightly better than manager Y we should still go for manager Y straight away rather than wait until the summer. Especially as those estimates about how good a manager actually is are guesstimates at best and because several good potential candidates should be within our reach.

Waiting until the summer means leaving the January transfer window in limbo.

Waiting until the summer means that the new manager won't have the second half of this season to assess the squad along with Baldini and the rest of the backroom staff to put us in a good situation to identify the right targets this summer.

Waiting until the summer means a smaller chance of the current season being successful, with some of our players closing in on top class in addition to potentially showing themselves classy at the World Cup means that there's a slightly smaller chance of holding on to those key players come the summer. In addition to the importance of the current season we're in, potential cup wins etc.

That, to me, all adds up to that getting someone in right away should be a massive priority. And that even if manager X is deemed to be slightly better than manager Y we should still go for manager Y straight away rather than wait until the summer. Especially as those estimates about how good a manager actually is are guesstimates at best and because several good potential candidates should be within our reach.

I agree with all those reasons for the most part. In makes total sense to put someone in place sooner rather than later but it is totally dependent on who we can get now. I would love to get someone good in the door tomorrow but I fear the wrong choice may set us back far more than just this one season. So if we had a deal tied up with a suitable candidate but kept it under wraps until the summer then I'd live with that as long as the interim manager didn't totally destroy us in the meantime.

I think as well with the DOF setup the Jan window may not be a total write off. And indeed if the players know who is coming in the summer then this might mitigate against their departure at the end of the season, and a little forward planning could happen in the background with the new man.

My preference is to get a good suitable candidate in place now, or failing that one in place for the summer and a competent interim manager until then.

Yeah, just look at how Bayern Munich's form fell to pieces in January last year when they announced that Heynckes was retiring. He completely lost the dressing room after that.

Yeah, just look at how Bayern Munich's form fell to pieces in January last year when they announced that Heynckes was retiring. He completely lost the dressing room after that.

Oh look, one example of something else happening, yeah that must make me wrong.

Not convinced.

I agree with all those reasons for the most part. In makes total sense to put someone in place sooner rather than later but it is totally dependent on who we can get now. I would love to get someone good in the door tomorrow but I fear the wrong choice may set us back far more than just this one season. So if we had a deal tied up with a suitable candidate but kept it under wraps until the summer then I'd live with that as long as the interim manager didn't totally destroy us in the meantime.

I think as well with the DOF setup the Jan window may not be a total write off. And indeed if the players know who is coming in the summer then this might mitigate against their departure at the end of the season, and a little forward planning could happen in the background with the new man.

My preference is to get a good suitable candidate in place now, or failing that one in place for the summer and a competent interim manager until then.

I can't really think of anyone that we are likely to get that is worth waiting until the summer for. Give someone else a chance to make a team of the squad and I'm being entirely serious here, if it doesn't work out we can always go looking for a new one. Progress doesn't hinge on finding that one person that will stay with us for 10+ years.

Sportinglife running a story with quotes from De Boer's agent.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/article/165/9080159/-

Frank De Boer's agent says the Ajax coach is focused on his current job despite being linked with Tottenham.

The former Barcelona and Rangers defender is reportedly a contender to succeed the sacked Andre Villas-Boas as boss after leading Ajax to three Eredivisie titles.

However, De Boer's agent Guido Albers has played down the speculation.

Albers told Voetbal International: "Through various channels it has become clear to me that Spurs are interested, but the club has not approached Ajax.

"So for us there is not much to say about it. Frank focuses entirely on Ajax."

Not quite what he would have said if he had no interest at this point I think. Usually I read the "focuses entirely on the current club" quotes as the player/manager being happy to move it the clubs can agree a deal, but doesn't want to **** of the current club if nothing happens.

Yeah, it's possible to read 'I would be interested in talking to Spurs if they went through the proper channels' into it.

Back