• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager v.2

Who do you want?

• Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Mauro Pochettino

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • Roberto Martinez

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • Carlo Ancelotti

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Rafa Benitez

Votes: 29 24.0%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You are correct in stating that LVG does indeed have a stellar CV, but from what I understand LVG is all about working with the players he has an coaching them rather than spending vast sums of money. This is also likely to be his last job so the Utd board may want a younger man who will build his own dynasty in the way Ferguson did.

LVG will be a quick fix where ever he goes and is undoubtedly supremely talented but whether he is what Utd or we require is open to debate I would suggest.

I think we're desperate for a quick-fix!

I was about to say exactly this.

Food poisoning.
Chelsea's fluking of the Champions League and subsequent signing of Hazard at our expense.
Olympic Stadium fiasco
And potentially Man Utd doing TOO badly this season.

First three I agree with. However we've dragged our feet badly over the LVG situation, as we do with all transfers, and it could come back to bite us, as its done with many transfers in the past

Anyone who hates Tim Sherwood - I hear there are one or two around the place - should transform themselves into avid fanatics of Atletico, Barca and Bayern for the rest of the season.

Because unless Carlo gets the chop...

First three I agree with. However we've dragged our feet badly over the LVG situation, as we do with all transfers, and it could come back to bite us, as its done with many transfers in the past

How do you know that we have dragged our feet? Maybe he was not prepared to commit to a club until the summer when he would know what other clubs had vacancies in the knowledge that he would not be short of offers.

Anyone who hates Tim Sherwood - I hear there are one or two around the place - should transform themselves into avid fanatics of Atletico, Barca and Bayern for the rest of the season.

Because unless Carlo gets the chop...
That 1, 2, 3 of football management is only in your head though Chancer, so unless you're Danny Boy...?

How do you know that we have dragged our feet? Maybe he was not prepared to commit to a club until the summer when he would know what other clubs had vacancies in the knowledge that he would not be short of offers.

Maybe, though given he seems desperate to manage in the PL we have more bargaining power that we ordinarily would with someone of LVG's stature. And there's not a huge number of jobs at decent PL clubs which could come up

Want to happen.

Didn't you criticise AVB for playing ugly football? If so, how do you reconcile that with wanting the manager that (aside from Pulis and BFS) plays the most intentionally ugly football in the PL?

Sorry if you didn't, but I thought you were one of them.

Maybe, though given he seems desperate to manage in the PL we have more bargaining power that we ordinarily would with someone of LVG's stature. And there's not a huge number of jobs at decent PL clubs which could come up

It is still possible that two or three that are bigger than the Spurs job will be available this summer. I think that it was very likely that he was unwilling to commit until the end of the season. Even if it went wrong and he missed out on moving to the Premier League, he could console himself counting Rouble's and see what was around next summer.

but that is as pure a piece of speculation as you can possibly get. we don't know anything about LVG to Spurs other than it's been picked up on by the media. we might have spoke with him and he wasn't interested, we might have spoke with him and he's agreed to take over, there are countless possibilities as to what is and isn't going on

Didn't you criticise AVB for playing ugly football? If so, how do you reconcile that with wanting the manager that (aside from Pulis and BFS) plays the most intentionally ugly football in the PL?

Sorry if you didn't, but I thought you were one of them.

AVB played boring and negative football for sure but i criticised him more on the fact that he had a very flawed system.

Moyes' brand of football and Everton was pretty decent i thought.

what do you make of his season at United? the strange tactical decisions, his inability to nail down a starting XI, regression of almost their entire squad of players on an individual level?

or are you erring on the side of writing off this season because of the circumstances?

fwiw i think Moyes would get us more or less finishing 6th, after the initial settling in process - i think his career record against the top 4 shows he isn't going to all of a sudden start tactically out smarting managers with better resources than himself. may as well employ Jol again - at least it'd be entertaining :lol:

That 1, 2, 3 of football management is only in your head though Chancer, so unless you're Danny Boy...?

I honestly don't think so Ron.

Oddschecker says in order that it's:

1. LvG
2. Allegri
3. Poccetinho
4. Mancini
5. Rafa
6. Moyes
7. FdB
8. Klinsmann
9. Klopp
10. Spaletti
11. Laudrup
12. Capello
13. Hiddink
14. Donadoni
15. Ancelloti
http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/tottenham/next-permanent-manager

From Levy's POV:

Repeat of Santini/Ramos appointments: Allegri, Spaletti

Repeat of AVB appointment:
Poccetinho, Donadoni

In a job: Rafa (not much sign he'll be sacked, or that he'd bail on a CL team after 1 season to come to Spurs), Hiddink (has contract with Holland).

Would not come to Spurs now: Klinsmann (likes nice life in US), FdB (why come to Spurs when he could have a pick of CL teams, including perhaps Barca, who I think would take a punt on him), Klopp (no indication he'd leave BD, or that he'd step down to the 6th team in England).

Horrible fit for Spurs: Capello, Mancini

That leaves LvG, Ancellotti and Sherwood. I don't see any of the others as viable, either because Levy should have learned from previous mistakes, or because they simply aren't available/interested.

what do you make of his season at United? the strange tactical decisions, his inability to nail down a starting XI, regression of almost their entire squad of players on an individual level?

or are you erring on the side of writing off this season because of the circumstances?

fwiw i think Moyes would get us more or less finishing 6th, after the initial settling in process - i think his career record against the top 4 shows he isn't going to all of a sudden start tactically out smarting managers with better resources than himself. may as well employ Jol again - at least it'd be entertaining :lol:

What circumstances? he inherited a championship winning squad and has failed miserably.

I think he's better suited to managing us though providing we abolish the DOF system. My opinion is that he'll be as successful as Arry was and will get us into the top 4 in a season or 2.

From Levy's POV
From your POV, applying your assessments of those managers (not that I disagree with them all). No one has a clue what Levy's thinking and he'll presumably take some advice from Baldi.

Even if Levy thinks exactly like that, it doesn't follow there'd be nothing between #15 on the list and keeping Tim.

What circumstances? he inherited a championship winning squad and has failed miserably.

I think he's better suited to managing us though providing we abolish the DOF system. My opinion is that he'll be as successful as Arry was and will get us into the top 4 in a season or 2.

whatever circumstances you wish to use, i find it strange that you'd overlook a season such as this without having some logic behind why he has failed? for example i think he was walking in to a tough job on account of the squad Ferguson left him with and that following on from such a dynasty has it's inherent difficulties.

for Moyes to get us in the top four at the moment he'd have to change the habit of a lifetime and start picking up results against the 'top' sides or hope that a couple of the teams above us nosedive. id worry that he hasn't exactly shown himself to be able to cope with change and/or a step up this season and that if he was to have a similarly poor season with us as he has at United then he wouldn't get anymore time to turn it around than he has there (seemingly, if he is indeed a dead man walking)

We MIGHT miss out on one possible candidate. Nothing to be slitting our wrist for. This excessive amount of expectation towards the next guy will just come back to bite us in the ass when it turns out he isn't some all conquering messiah. He might still be a pretty darn good coach though. What's important is to get someone who's suited for this club, not just getting the biggest name possible.

A lot of drama queen behaviour going on over something that we have zero control over

whatever circumstances you wish to use, i find it strange that you'd overlook a season such as this without having some logic behind why he has failed? for example i think he was walking in to a tough job on account of the squad Ferguson left him with and that following on from such a dynasty has it's inherent difficulties.

for Moyes to get us in the top four at the moment he'd have to change the habit of a lifetime and start picking up results against the 'top' sides or hope that a couple of the teams above us nosedive.

I think Fergie escaped at the right time i.e. the squad flattered to deceive. I said this at the start of Moyes' tenure and stand by it. The squad was ****e. Of course buying Felaini didnt help Moyes but I think he was so desperate for numbers he got him in.

Back