• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager v.2

Who do you want?

• Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Mauro Pochettino

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • Roberto Martinez

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • Carlo Ancelotti

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Rafa Benitez

Votes: 29 24.0%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Out of curiosity what is it that's fueling these Poch to AVB comparisons?

AVB's Porto had an attacking reputation, yes they were undefeated and obviously solid at the back. But they also outscored Benfica by over 10 goals and every other team in the league by close to 30 goals or more. With 73 goals in a league of 16 teams they scored more than Ajax did this season in a league with 18 teams. Probably the difference in quality between Porto and the rest of that league is bigger than the difference in quality between Ajax and the rest of the Eresdivisie, but it's not like AVB came to England with the reputation of playing primarily defensive football. It's not like he set up his Chelsea side to just sit back and soak up pressure, he was the one with the high line stuff, remember?

His problem was trying to implement his ideas that worked so brilliantly at the biggest club in Portugal with the best players, a strategy that also seems to work really well at Zenit with a very good crop of players, when at a team that's not the best in a tougher league. Particularly so when we lost our one remaining superstar.

Why isn't the comparison drawn to FdB instead? Like AVB he has only managed the biggest and best club in a smaller league. For the vast majority of his games he will have had the best players, in a less competitive league, and with the most financial power in the transfer market.
Poch on the other hand has managed both at Espanyol and at Southampton to implement his ideas into teams that haven't been the best teams in those league, in probably the two most competitive leagues around, one of them being the same league we're in. Doing so at Espanyol with very limited resources, and doing so at Southampton under fairly tough circumstances as he came in replacing the popular Adkins and not even speaking the language at first.

As much as you talk a lot of sense this in bold is just simply not true this season Ajax on paper where probably in 3rd place to win the title at a push
Also Ajax income is mainly because every year virtually without fail they sell of the best players
So every new campaign is like starting from scratch
Blind will go this year and once again on paper they wil have no chance of lifting the title just like last season

Really, only 27%? I can't see the poll on my phone, but every other post seems to be saying they'd be happy with Benitez.

It's not my list and I said the same, I wouldn't want any of the alternative list either. I just made the point that you could make a very valid case that those 3 were just as good as the 3 current favorites, even though I don't want them.

"Only" 27%, that'd be 20% more than those who have voted for Pochettino then.

A few years ago there was a lot of laughter and derision of Benitez on this and other boards as we watched Liverpool slip down the table and see the expensive flops he bought. Then he moves to Inter Milan and we make his team that contains players like Sneijder and Eto'o look like mugs. Bale tore Maicon a new one in the first leg and you would have thought Benitez would have arranged his team so he would have been doubled up on or found a way to cut of his space but again Bale ran the show.
He has a good year at Chelsea and suddenly this board looks at him like the messiah? I'm not dismissing his achievements but I'm not convinced he could do the same here on our finances. Plus his football style isn't sexy.

As much as you talk a lot of sense this in bold is just simply not true this season Ajax on paper where probably in 3rd place to win the title at a push
Also Ajax income is mainly because every year virtually without fail they sell of the best players
So every new campaign is like starting from scratch
Blind will go this year and once again on paper they wil have no chance of lifting the title just like last season

I thought it was generally accepted that Ajax are financially stronger than the other clubs in Holland? Am I wrong about that?

The closest I could find to information on this just searching quickly was this forum where someone posting information supposedly from stadium zone: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=439672 I have no idea how reliable it is, if you have information pointing towards other clubs having a higher turnover than Ajax I have no problems admitting that my assumption was wrong.

Yes Ajax often have to sell their best players, but isn't that the reality for all clubs in Holland? Looking at the last two seasons Feynoord have sold Vlaar and El Ahmadi to Villa, Twente sold Chadli to us, Fer to Norwich along with De Jong and Ola John, PSV sold Strootman, Mertens, Lens and Pieters.

Braineclipse, well said. I'd be ok with Poch, but I certainly don't see him as you do. Give him a year or two and see what happens, that's fine I guess.

So, if we sack Poch in 18 months time (which wouldn't shock me at all), would it be fair to say that you'd then want someone similar to him again? Or, could you perhaps envisage a time down the road when someone like Rafa or someone of his 'style' may come more in to focus for you?

AVB? He wasn't able to implement his system? So we shouldn't have hired, shouldn't have fired, we treaded water maybe.

'Style' is subjective. What might be stylish to me, may not be to others, and vice versa. What may have seemed stylish to me 40 years ago may seem less so now, or at least less important. Style at 10, 20, 30, 40, 70 years of age is variable.

A cup is a cup. Top 4 is Top 4. A title is a title. UEFA Cup photos in here. You seen them. Its a tangible thing, not an opinion. As we all know, the game has changed so much, and there's so much more money and pressure now. And in order to win things, it has brought style and its importance in to question in boardrooms everywhere. If you the boss, you report to the brass...you say we didn't win anything, but we did it pretty...and they look at you...and they try to appreciate your 'history' and take it on board. At best, at this stage we are playing for 4th. Look at the money. 5th or 6th is reasonable, and we can achieve that (apparently) with a clueless idiot. Lets see what Poch does.

As far as Napoli and Rafa just 'living up to expectations', not sure that Napoli have always been a perennial top3 team in La Liga? Even if they have, the point is that he is doing it. Not sure what emphasis they place on style, but they are winning trophies.

As you say, we have been trying to do it 'pretty' for a very long time now. At this point, not sure if that's good or bad anymore, but yes we have a history of it. Maybe other teams respect us for it, not sure to what extent. But, I also think a case could be made that at times they haven't really feared us for it and are quite happy for us to search and continue that way? Leeds and Arsenal were just fine with it back in the day.

By the way, Arsenal have done it both ways. Long before Wenger, they were winning 'ugly' too. They almost invented the offside trap, with their back 4 of the Hendon police cadets, and so on. I imagine the trophies in their cabinet all look pretty much about the same now, though.

I've said before that for me it's close between Benites, Pochettino and FdB (behind LvG). I wouldn't be upset with the club if we went for Benitez right now, although his style of football is not quite my cup of tea.

My point was more that for our backroom staff, with Baldini at the top in terms of football, to make a decision on which direction they want to move the club in terms of style and make a head coach/manager appointment accordingly makes a lot of sense. And that I think an argument can be made that a more adventurous and attacking style than what Benitez uses could be better for the club.

I thought it was generally accepted that Ajax are financially stronger than the other clubs in Holland? Am I wrong about that?

The closest I could find to information on this just searching quickly was this forum where someone posting information supposedly from stadium zone: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=439672 I have no idea how reliable it is, if you have information pointing towards other clubs having a higher turnover than Ajax I have no problems admitting that my assumption was wrong.

Yes Ajax often have to sell their best players, but isn't that the reality for all clubs in Holland? Looking at the last two seasons Feynoord have sold Vlaar and El Ahmadi to Villa, Twente sold Chadli to us, Fer to Norwich along with De Jong and Ola John, PSV sold Strootman, Mertens, Lens and Pieters.

yeah but since FdB has been there who has finished top every season despite all teams having to sell their best players?.....4 titles in a row!! before FdB arrived, Ajax had won only 3 titles since 1997 when LVG left iirc. So thats 3 titles in 13 years, and yet FdB wins 4 in 4. Its an achievement not to be sniffed at imo

yeah but since FdB has been there who has finished top every season despite all teams having to sell their best players?.....4 titles in a row!! before FdB arrived, Ajax had won only 3 titles since 1997 when LVG left iirc. So thats 3 titles in 13 years, and yet FdB wins 4 in 4. Its an achievement not to be sniffed at imo

Did I sniff at it?

Like I said, i can't see the poll, if there's only 3 in the poll then it's not a huge %, but if there's 20 in the poll then it's prob a majority!

Currently 99 votes mate.

34 for FDB

26 for Benitez

13 for Martinez

8 for Ancelotti

7 for Poch and vDG

At work so short reply ;)

Yes they have to sell all of them but this year and last at least 2 of the others were real favourites and yet he still won it
Last years was an incredible feat considering the squad he had

Also as I know a lot of people love a stat ;)
A career win % of something like 68.5
Not forgetting assistant manager of the world cup finalists

The man just reeks of success as a player and a manager and would it not be great tp actually get a manager with no ties to another pl club at all ?

That way when he is doing well he is ours not poached or on loan/stop gap

If people believed Martinez was a realistic option I think he'd be leading the vote....

He didnt lead the vote last time... on your basis it would go to show that people are 'as bad' as Levy when it comes to riding the wave of a Managers one good season. Im not excited by Poch but who knows

THST/THFC Board to Board Meeting, 13th May 2014
http://www.thstofficial.com/thst-updates/thstthfc-board-to-board-meeting,-13th-may-2014.aspx

Following the departure of Tim Sherwood earlier in the day, DH opened up this section by asking for clarification of the footballing principles guiding DL

DL explained that we needed a manager who believed in our football philosophy, where we would be entertained

DL stated we have a very good group of players at the Club and, ideally, we want someone who can bring the best out of experienced players and bring through youth, too

He didnt lead the vote last time... on your basis it would go to show that people are 'as bad' as Levy when it comes to riding the wave of a Managers one good season. Im not excited by Poch but who knows

When was the vote you're referring to? I wanted him the time we ended up appointing AVB as thought he had Wigan playing some great stuff - continuing that at Everton has just reinforced my opinion of him. Can't speak for everyone else of course....

THST/THFC Board to Board Meeting, 13th May 2014
http://www.thstofficial.com/thst-updates/thstthfc-board-to-board-meeting,-13th-may-2014.aspx

Following the departure of Tim Sherwood earlier in the day, DH opened up this section by asking for clarification of the footballing principles guiding DL

DL explained that we needed a manager who believed in our football philosophy, where we would be entertained

DL stated we have a very good group of players at the Club and, ideally, we want someone who can bring the best out of experienced players and bring through youth, too

Sounds like Pocchetino is defo number one from that

When was the vote you're referring to? I wanted him the time we ended up appointing AVB as thought he had Wigan playing some great stuff - continuing that at Everton has just reinforced my opinion of him. Can't speak for everyone else of course....

Personally I wanted Brendan Rodgers but once he went to Liverpool I flirted with the idea of Martinez but I was never 100% convinced if I'm totally honest. I saw a great deal of pro's for bringing him in but had my reservations and have to say that I believed that at the time AVB just had the edge over him in my mind.

Time will tell I guess, but I look to have made a wrong decision, albeit I'm not in charge!

Back