• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager v.2

Who do you want?

• Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Mauro Pochettino

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • Roberto Martinez

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • Carlo Ancelotti

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Rafa Benitez

Votes: 29 24.0%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'd be happy with Poch, but I still have a nagging feeling that FDB would be the one that got away. Then again if we get FDB I'll end up thinking that we may have made a mistake.

Too many negative posts make me wary of any new manager.

We could get Pep and these lot will still have a bitch.

Ahhh thats a simple one to answer :)

I work with semi pro footballers and talk to coaches and managers every day and quite frankly they bore the living **** out of me ;)
But when ever martinez talks football ,tactics ,style of play and philosophy I sit and listen its interesting.
he has a passion unlike few others and a great understanding of how football should be played and is a workaholic
in short like lvg and fdb I like him.

Fair enough.

Have to say, thought I supported AVB and wanted him, Martinez (and to a slightly lesser extent Rodgers) were the ones I wanted more. We've missed the boat there big time. :(

We could get Pep and these lot will still have a bitch.

We could get Ferguson to come back from retirement and people would still bitch.

I'm not sure there isn't a single top or famous manager I haven't seen called overrated on here in the past 2/3 years.

FDB, Poch and FSW all have some pedigree. Rated by some and not rated by some. Really and truly the issue is that we all love Spurs and are petrified that we will get the wrong man. I imagine right now Levy is struggling to decide. It is an incredibly hard decision.

So the debate has become stagnated about who is best for us. I honestly don't think we can even guess at it.

All I know is that we do have a good squad. But we don't pay top 4 wages so the players may cost alot to buy but not so much to keep. We need a manager to make them play as a top 4 team.

Therein lies the issue.

I am convinced personally that Poch is right for us. What I do fear is that Levy will scare all of them off and we end up with Allegri.

We could get Ferguson to come back from retirement and people would still bitch.

I'm not sure there isn't a single top or famous manager I haven't seen called overrated on here in the past 2/3 years.

exactly, it would have to be Clough or Nicholson to keep everyone happy

Do you really think that we would make an appointment for reasons so focussed on one player or do you just see that as a side benefit?

side-benefit mate, didn't mean to imply anything other than that!Many many other factors beyond that, I just chose that one personally as a benefit.

So it seems quite likely it will be Pochettino as our next coach.

From those who have followed him and how he sets his team up by watching his Espanoyl and Southamton sides, can you answer the following:

1) How is his style similar/different to Juande Ramos' when he was our coach?
2) Is there a risk that, like Ramos' style, it is very well suited to playing against the big sides who will likely attack and then leave space to exploit 'in behind'?
3) Is there a particular type of CB that is necessary for his defensive system? If there were no ingoings/outgoings in that department would he be able to set us up well in he regard?
4) Did Sherwood outfox him in those two league games; if so how?
5) What method would he set us up to play against Arsenal?8-[

I'd be happy with Poch, but I still have a nagging feeling that FDB would be the one that got away. Then again if we get FDB I'll end up thinking that we may have made a mistake.

Too many negative posts make me wary of any new manager.

Yep, me too.

I think FdB will end up at Barca or even worse Arsenal, and we'll have a huge thread on who said they wanted him versus who said they wanted Poch. The board will be divided, tempers will get frayed, fish that got away, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria, blah blah.

FdB for me, Poch as consolation prize is the way I see it.

Last edited:
I'm not saying they've always kept faith with every manager - simply that they did with Rodgers.
We don't with anyone. 9 managers in 13 years.

Martin Jol got 3 years and Harry got 4 years. That's longer than Rodgers has had his job so if you can say Liverpool kept faith with him at this stage then Levy did likewise with BMJ and HR.

Yep, me too.

I think FdB will end up at Barca or even worse Arsenal, and we'll have a huge thread on who said they wanted him versus who said they wanted Poch. The board will be divided, tempers will get frayed, fish that got away, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria, blah blah.

FdB for me, Poch as consolation prize is the way I see it.

This.

Poch has managed a mid-table team and done fairly well with them (whether due to being a great manager or lucky he had lallana/shaw/rodriguez hitting form at the right time who knows)

De Boer has played for the biggest teams in the world and won trophies. He has also managed Ajax and won the league 4 times in a row so at least he knows a thing or two about competing for a league (pressure, expecation etc.)

Seems like a no brainer to me.

Definitely FDB for me, but not by a lot.

I'd be ok with Poch but I'm just not sure whether he will go beyond a one season wonder with Southampton.

I'm not sure if he knows how to play against teams that park the bus. I do, however, like the team spirit that he instills in his squad and the high tempo that the players play with. Plus, he has Premiership experience which is a bonus. Additionally, I've heard great he wanted a seven year deal at Southampton, if true then we can't give him a similar length deal or it could be very messy/expensive if it ends badly.

As for FDB, big name manager, attacking style, he can work again with our Dutchmen Eriksen & Vertonghen and he is keen to implement a system which runs through the club.

So it seems quite likely it will be Pochettino as our next coach.

From those who have followed him and how he sets his team up by watching his Espanoyl and Southamton sides, can you answer the following:

1) How is his style similar/different to Juande Ramos' when he was our coach?
2) Is there a risk that, like Ramos' style, it is very well suited to playing against the big sides who will likely attack and then leave space to exploit 'in behind'?
3) Is there a particular type of CB that is necessary for his defensive system? If there were no ingoings/outgoings in that department would he be able to set us up well in he regard?
4) Did Sherwood outfox him in those two league games; if so how?
5) What method would he set us up to play against Arsenal?8-[

I've only really followed him since he became Southampton Manager but I'll answer as best I can.

1. He seems to be being compared to Ramos only because of his apparent lack of English speaking as far as I can tell. This is extremely wide of the mark as I'm sure that it's been published (no source, sorry - just memory) that Pochettino communicates very well with the players during training and off the pitch, he openly converses with his English players during matches so this supports that statement.
2. We won't know what he will do with a side that teams are likely to defend more against until he's given the opportunity to demonstrate this, however it's fair to say that after the opening few weeks of the season, opposition teams were showing them a lot more respect than previous Southampton sides. He seems to alter his tactics to suit each game and certainly has a plan b.
3. I'm not really sure to be honest but I'm sure that with the different varieties of player we have for that position we should be adaptable into his system.
4. With guts, passion, and character.... Nah we just have a better side, it's as simple as that. We played spells in each match to a very good level but they sure gave us a run for our money in both encounters.
5. GHod knows but he got a 2-2 draw at home with them not long ago even if they lost 2-0 in the reverse fixture.

I think that's a bit much.

Most bottom half teams, certainly the bottom 5, would have been very happy to get a point away to Southampton this season and would most likely have approached a game there in a similar fashion to how teams play against us.

In addition to that any team that takes the lead will obviously be happy with the current result and many will defend accordingly. Again, particularly smaller teams.

You don't think teams in Portugal sit back against Porto by the way? I agree that AVB struggled to implement his system with us and with Chelsea. That's one of the many points where Poch is different, he has shown that he can implement his ideas in the Premier League.

I find it quite interesting that in the same thread people like NWND and myself have to argue against both "8th was just where Southampton should have ended up, they really are that good" and "Poch has never experienced teams defending deep".

I'm hoping and guessing one of the things Poch would do is to bring in more players that can unlock teams, instead of playing with just the one. This is essentially what Sherwood has done, although I think Poch will be able to do it better.

Portugal isn't a competitive league. They can sit back all they want but they just aren't good enough. The opposition don't have the belief either.
And why would they when porto are p60 w54 d4 l2 at home in the league for the last 4 seasons.

Definitely FDB for me, but not by a lot.

I'd be ok with Poch but I'm just not sure whether he will go beyond a one season wonder with Southampton.

I'm not sure if he knows how to play against teams that park the bus. I do, however, like the team spirit that he instills in his squad and the high tempo that the players play with. Plus, he has Premiership experience which is a bonus. Additionally, I've heard great he wanted a seven year deal at Southampton, if true then we can't give him a similar length deal or it could be very messy/expensive if it ends badly.

As for FDB, big name manager, attacking style, he can work again with our Dutchmen Eriksen & Vertonghen and he is keen to implement a system which runs through the club.

I'm not sure if you're calling them Dutchmen in the same way I do....because other people call them Dutchmen even though they're Danish and Belgian.... 8-[

I'm not sure if you're calling them Dutchmen in the same way I do....because other people call them Dutchmen even though they're Danish and Belgian.... 8-[

Bassong still suspended, you say? Still questioning what Jenas does? Having serious fears about relegation...or red gloves? :-k

I've only really followed him since he became Southampton Manager but I'll answer as best I can.

1. He seems to be being compared to Ramos only because of his apparent lack of English speaking as far as I can tell. This is extremely wide of the mark as I'm sure that it's been published (no source, sorry - just memory) that Pochettino communicates very well with the players during training and off the pitch, he openly converses with his English players during matches so this supports that statement.
2. We won't know what he will do with a side that teams are likely to defend more against until he's given the opportunity to demonstrate this, however it's fair to say that after the opening few weeks of the season, opposition teams were showing them a lot more respect than previous Southampton sides. He seems to alter his tactics to suit each game and certainly has a plan b.
3. I'm not really sure to be honest but I'm sure that with the different varieties of player we have for that position we should be adaptable into his system.
4. With guts, passion, and character.... Nah we just have a better side, it's as simple as that. We played spells in each match to a very good level but they sure gave us a run for our money in both encounters.
5. GHod knows but he got a 2-2 draw at home with them not long ago even if they lost 2-0 in the reverse fixture.

Thanks for replying

Btw, anyone know what is meant to be happening with our coaches now that TS has gone?

I read today in the Standard (I think) that Ferdinand, Ramsay AND Freund were all expected to depart!

Back