• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs manager mega-thread

who would it be?

• Jose Mourinho

Votes: 110 48.0%
  • Guus Hiddink

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 20 8.7%
  • Brendan Rodgers

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • Alan Pardew

• Tim Owl Face Sherwood

• Fabio Capello

• Seb Bassong

• Sandra Redknapp

Votes: 15 6.6%

• Total voters
I disagree. If AVB comes here and does well I think that the fact we brought him back to this league so soon after his Chelsea experience will mean a lot to him.

If he does well I can see him here for the long haul.

AVB was given his big shot by Porto, his childhood club and won the treble in his first season there. Had a great squad, a shot at trying out that squad in the CL and then jumped at the first job offer.

People need to get this loyalty idea out of their heads. Almost no-one in this sport has a shred of loyalty.

I disagree that it's small club mentality getting excited about winning the Europa cup. It's still a major trophy and when has winning anything been a bad thing? We won the Carling Cup and were happy about that (beating Chelsea) - that the third most important competition in England alone. What is embarrassing in my mind (and opinion) is the mentality we have in this country that we are above the Europa trophy, it's not how fans of of big clubs generally feel on the continent - they take it seriously and with pride.

I disagree that it's small club mentality getting excited about winning the Europa cup. It's still a major trophy and when has winning anything been a bad thing? We won the Carling Cup and were happy about that (beating Chelsea) - that the third most important competition in England alone. What is embarrassing in my mind (and opinion) is the mentality we have in this country that we are above the Europa trophy, it's not how fans of of big clubs generally feel on the continent - they take it seriously and with pride.

Exactly,99% of the clubs in Europe would be absolutely delighted if they could win the Europa League.

Good post =D>

A point well-made. =D>

Depends on what you achieve year on year, for a side that wins the league 8 out of 10 times and usually gets, at worst, to the last 16 of the CL, winning the Europa League wouldn't be that much of a big deal. - Porto for instance...

On the other hand a team that has only been in the CL once, winning the Europa League would be huge...

The Europa League is like the League Cup a bit. It's not the most prestigious trophy out there, but it is still a trophy. Winning medals breeds a winning mentality. If you can keep winning trophies, even if it is the league cup or the Europa League, it keeps a positive winning atmosphere around the place. The fans, players and club staff enjoy the days out, we get to have an open bus tour, we are in the news for positive reasons.

We should be going all out to win everything that we are in. That is the attitude of a big club.

Isn't it interesting that both Man Utd and City didn't turn to their reserves/youth when they got knocked into the Europa League? Their attitude was that it was a competition they were in, so they wanted to win it. Yes, they both came unstuck against quality opposition, but to me that just proves that the Europa League is not a tournament to be taken lightly. All of the winners are quality teams, from Athletico Madrid with Aguero and Forlan upfront, to AVB's Porto and Atletico Bilbao.

I want us to go all out to win the Premiership, FA Cup, League Cup and Europa League next season. That doesn't mean playing the first XI in every game as the players would be exhausted. But it does mean that we take every competition deadly serious and don't just play a load of kids.

Its why I don't want Sigurdsson signing to mean the end of Van der Vaart. I want both players to be competiting for that attacking midfield position and be on such good form they both play 30+ starting games next year!

Is it though?

Because these days I see it as some budget, Lidl version of the Champions League. It's a competition whose format UEFA are now forever playing around with, because it just doesn't attract any attention or respect. They don't want to devalue their blue-chip competition, so the Europa League becomes its poor alternative, both in competition and financial reward.

I have no problem with winning things, but it's the standard which I take issue with. Each to their own, but I never got excited about winning the Carling Cup, just as I very much doubt Chelsea fans were all that bothered about losing it either. Their expectations are such that they'll be competing at the business end of the Premier League, and in both the Champions League and/or FA Cup.

It's not embarrassing to have high standards. If clubs on the continent see more value in the Europa League, then good luck to them - but I'd counter that it's probably more owing to the fact that, relatively speaking, their leagues don't generate the financial rewards which the Premier League does, therefore they are forced to be more competitive in every competition available to them.

Depends what people want really: if you're obsessed with short-termism, then yeah fine just carry on with this 'I hope we win x trophy this season' mentality. However, if you're a little bit more strategic then you have to think longer-term; what is it that we can do in order to change my level of expectation from 'I hope' to 'I expect'.

The biggest, most challenging competition open to us, is the Premier League. That's 38 games worth of challenge and competition. To finish in the top 4, you need to maintain a very high level of performance, ie: drive a level of consistency within your team. The goal is always to deliver consistency whilst continually strengthening, thus maintaining your competitiveness. Therein, if we focus on the league, then it's a natural consequence that we'll raise our ability - and expectation - of progression in other cup competitions.

So, focusing on 'I hope we win Trophy X' is a pure and utter nonsense. We were forced to settle for that through the 90s as we were a brick and inconsistent league team. We are no longer in that unenviable position though, therefore our priorities should change in accordance.

It should be a straight knockout. The league part is brick and smalltime.

From the quarters on its decent with quality champs league quality teams.

So are we all assuming tomorrow or Monday AVB will be the new manager?

I'm actually quite excited by it, AVB didn't work at Chelsea but I just have a feeling if we get him this could be the one that could take us to higher places.

Chelsea obviously saw something in him when they got him, he had some credentials. Unfortunately someone's reputation in football can be ruined in a heartbeat so it will be a tough time for him if he does get the job but I just think he could be special.

Alan Brazil on talkbrick this morning said he has news that will blow Spurs supporters socks off......Pep?

So are we all assuming tomorrow or Monday AVB will be the new manager?

I'm actually quite excited by it, AVB didn't work at Chelsea but I just have a feeling if we get him this could be the one that could take us to higher places.

Chelsea obviously saw something in him when they got him, he had some credentials. Unfortunately someone's reputation in football can be ruined in a heartbeat so it will be a tough time for him if he does get the job but I just think he could be special.

Any manager no matter how talented needs the full backing and support of the club. It seems to be he just did not get that at Chelsea. The powers-that-be there did not back him against the senior players, which underminded him. Drogba and Lampard were reduced to minor roles and the system was being changed. They attacked more and pushed higher up the pitch. Traditionally they had played quite a dour, defensive game.

Interestingly, it was some of their younger players that were the most successful in the new system, such as Sturridge, Mata and Romeu.

Terry and Cole and the old guard struggled to adapt to the new tactics (not surprising given they had been playing the same way for almost a decade.

The players complained and the club strangely (considering they seemed to bring AVB in specifically to manage the transition to a younger more attack minded set-up) backed them over the manager.

At the end of the day I think the club thought they'd be able to take some difficult performances and a lower league placing during the transition, but Abramovich appeared in the end not to be able to stand seeing Chelsea not being as competitive that season and got rid before the project even really had begun.

As long as Levy gives him his whole backing, accepts there may be a season of bedding-in of new tactics and playing style as well as approach and gets him the players he needs to make his system work (whether that is with the input of a DOF or not) then I don't see why he can't be a success.

Everyone who has worked with him prior to Chelsea has the utmost respect for him. Apparently he lives and breaths the game and is respectful and professional. Bobby Robson and Jose Mourinho saw potential greatness in him and both took him under their wnig. There is obviously something there, but he does need the support of the club management to succeed, just like anyone does in any line of work.

If your manager said to you: "i want you to come in, shake up the team, manage out some of the older underperformers who are set in their ways and bring in some young graduate trainees to freshen things up and introduce our new company values", but then when the older employees started complaining about the new processes and the way they felt they were being marginalised and pushed out and when their productivity dropped as a result, performances suffer because the graduates aren't up to speed either - how do you think you would feel and be able to cope if your manager and the board then turned round and backed the older players, asking why they were being marginalised and started giving you unrealistic targets given the current situation before finalling showing you the door?

If the board, Levy and any DOF plsu coaching staff pull in the same direction as AVB i can see something special happening. If we don't back him it will be Chelsea all over.

Any manager no matter how talented needs the full backing and support of the club. It seems to be he just did not get that at Chelsea. The powers-that-be there did not back him against the senior players, which underminded him. Drogba and Lampard were reduced to minor roles and the system was being changed. They attacked more and pushed higher up the pitch. Traditionally they had played quite a dour, defensive game.

Interestingly, it was some of their younger players that were the most successful in the new system, such as Sturridge, Mata and Romeu.

Terry and Cole and the old guard struggled to adapt to the new tactics (not surprising given they had been playing the same way for almost a decade.

The players complained and the club strangely (considering they seemed to bring AVB in specifically to manage the transition to a younger more attack minded set-up) backed them over the manager.

At the end of the day I think the club thought they'd be able to take some difficult performances and a lower league placing during the transition, but Abramovich appeared in the end not to be able to stand seeing Chelsea not being as competitive that season and got rid before the project even really had begun.

As long as Levy gives him his whole backing, accepts there may be a season of bedding-in of new tactics and playing style as well as approach and gets him the players he needs to make his system work (whether that is with the input of a DOF or not) then I don't see why he can't be a success.

Everyone who has worked with him prior to Chelsea has the utmost respect for him. Apparently he lives and breaths the game and is respectful and professional. Bobby Robson and Jose Mourinho saw potential greatness in him and both took him under their wnig. There is obviously something there, but he does need the support of the club management to succeed, just like anyone does in any line of work.

If your manager said to you: "i want you to come in, shake up the team, manage out some of the older underperformers who are set in their ways and bring in some young graduate trainees to freshen things up and introduce our new company values", but then when the older employees started complaining about the new processes and the way they felt they were being marginalised and pushed out and when their productivity dropped as a result, performances suffer because the graduates aren't up to speed either - how do you think you would feel and be able to cope if your manager and the board then turned round and backed the older players, asking why they were being marginalised and started giving you unrealistic targets given the current situation before finalling showing you the door?

If the board, Levy and any DOF plsu coaching staff pull in the same direction as AVB i can see something special happening. If we don't back him it will be Chelsea all over.

top post sir. agree with everything you have said. I admit this season might not be the best if he does take over, but it could be great who knows. But as long as we are not fighting relegation, and are somewhere near 4th then ill be happy, it just needs to be the 2nd season onwards where we re pushing and actually getting 4th and 3rd. But its no easy feat, next season Chelsea, Arsenal will be stronger, they already are.
Liverpool cannot be as bad surely, Saudi Sportswashing Machine will be there and City and United will be 1st and 2nd anyway.

we could get 4th but we could easily get 7th.

top post sir. agree with everything you have said. I admit this season might not be the best if he does take over, but it could be great who knows. But as long as we are not fighting relegation, and are somewhere near 4th then ill be happy, it just needs to be the 2nd season onwards where we re pushing and actually getting 4th and 3rd. But its no easy feat, next season Chelsea, Arsenal will be stronger, they already are.
Liverpool cannot be as bad surely, Saudi Sportswashing Machine will be there and City and United will be 1st and 2nd anyway.

They could easily be as bad, they are in the same boat as us really. Can their players all adapt to the new system that Rodgers will attempt to bring in?

they had so many issues last year, one being the Suarez case, 2 being Dalglish and his public backing of the player and scrutinising of the media. Now that Dalglish has gone and Suarez has died down a little they can focus on football. They will also bring in other players too. Downing won't be as brick as he was last year, even though I don't rate him he will still assist and will probably score. But I can't see them being as bad as they were last season.

Yeah but 7th might not be so bad if all the teams above and around us have exceptional seasons. It depends. But like you I'm happy to give him time as long as it isn't a complete disaster a la Ramos.

I don't think it will be as bad as that though as unlike Ramos, AVB speaks v. good English and I think he would get on well with our squad, who seem to be a nice group. The messages out of the squad are always how great the team atmosphere is and its something Bale also commented on when signing his new deal. There's no real entrenched 'iconic' players either. The closest we have is King, but he doesn't seem the sort to rock the boat.

The key for me is to deal with the Modric situation ASAP - we don't want it dragging on till last day leaving us no time to get a replacement and leave the new manager completing f**ked like Ramos was when Berbatov and Keane left. Either get him to commit or get rid at the best possible price, then go all out for a suitable replacement.

We also need to address the striker situation well before season starts. If we do that and tie up Vertonghen and Sigurdsson the squad is more than capable of doing well even taking into account AVB's style.

they had so many issues last year, one being the Suarez case, 2 being Dalglish and his public backing of the player and scrutinising of the media. Now that Dalglish has gone and Suarez has died down a little they can focus on football. They will also bring in other players too. Downing won't be as brick as he was last year, even though I don't rate him he will still assist and will probably score. But I can't see them being as bad as they were last season.

wait, so we might struggle to maintain our top four challenge due to adapting to a new style of play under a new manager, but Liverpool should be able to do exactly that and more with ease?

I don't think they will be eight, but i do struggle to see a scenario with them challenging to be in the top four this coming season, if they adapt well to Rodgers tactics i can see it happening in the next though.

Back