• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs manager mega-thread

who would it be?

• Jose Mourinho

Votes: 110 48.0%
  • Guus Hiddink

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 20 8.7%
  • Brendan Rodgers

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • Alan Pardew

• Tim Owl Face Sherwood

• Fabio Capello

• Seb Bassong

• Sandra Redknapp

Votes: 15 6.6%

• Total voters
This is what the CL has brought us. It is more important to qualify for a competition than win one. Sad turn of affairs really.

Not going to bother to quote your entire post again Sheikh

- Fact that is irrelevant of a time machine, Tottenham does not have the transfer budget, wage structure or current squad to win the PL. That will not change over the next five years for obvious reasons unless we get an unexpected investment, do you really question that?

- The Tottenham you refer to is not the one of the last 6-7 years. Yes we have had a very poor record inbetween the 10 year periods, believe me, I've lived through a lot of years of dross. That said, the league progress you seem to wish for, has been there over the last 9 or so years, it has generally been an improvement. And we are likely to stay in same range (4th-6th) over next few years. I do think we have a bit of a ceiling in the immediate future, see point above.

- While Gareth/Luka may not boast to the world that they won the CC, don't think it's not an achievement for them. Again you ignored the question re any decent playing leaving Scum, despite the wages and CL being there. Is CC/Europa less priority than CL/PL =yes, Is it irrelevant = no (my opinion)

- I think you are approaching it from a "it has to be one or the other" for me the view of new season is

Yes, PL is a priority
Second, a Cup should be a priority, which one? I would make that choice based on the points you actually made, luck/draw/etc.

The clubs long term success is about the PL, but if that is the only thing you play for, and you know the odds of winning are extremely low, that's sad. You cringe at the 10 years reference, I cringe at the thought that 10 years from now, I will look back on the best Spurs team in 2+ decades and the only "boast" I will have is we came 4th twice, I might perfer to have a Europa/CC Cup in there as well.

That may be true from the wages perspective, but no player wants to end their career minus medals.

Why do you think players have left the Scum in the last few years, they are playing in the CL, the Scum pays big wages ...

The scum do pay big wages, but the teams that the players have left the scum for are hardly wage cuts are they?

The ones most likely to win medal are Fabregas and Nasri, who have both probably gained a significant wage increase in addition to that chance to win medals..

This is what the CL has brought us. It is more important to qualify for a competition than win one. Sad turn of affairs really.

It's just the state of football. With the increase in the amount of CL money teams get next season it's only going to get worse really.

I have to disagree.

Y'know what, I think Harry wanted to focus on improving the Clubs' performance in the league, because he knew that - over the long-term - that IS what would benefit the club the most. It isn't "small time" to assess your competitions and then prioritise; it's actually good management, as you're trying to mitigate the risk of spreading yourself too thinly, and failing on all objectives.

It's easy to sit in the stands though, and criticise Harry for picking some second-rate team for a Europa game; yet that criticism never seemed to recognise that, usually on the following Sunday, we'd be playing an important league fixture - one which, no doubt, the very same fans would be expecting us to win also. So, what does Harry do; play the same players all of the time? Of course not, because they'll be burnt out by Christmas and we'll achieve nothing at all.

Sorry, but I'm firmly in the prioritise camp; Ferguson does it with Manchester United and Wenger does it with Arsenal - it works for them, so I can't see why we shouldn't be copying the approach. We need to be realists here: we don't have this amazing squad which can go out there and win everything - no club does - so we have to take a view as to where best to focus our resources on. Without any question, it's got to be the league.

It doesn't have to be a case of always fielding the strongest available team in cup competitions, though. It's just a question of sensible rotation and judicious use of the squad. That's what Harry never understood.

You mention Ferguson. Well, he is the master of keeping his squad fresh - rotating the right players for the right games (both league and cup) and keeping Utd in with a chance of winning as many competitions as possible for as long as possible.

That's all I ask of Spurs rather than fielding youth squads, sacrificing games against teams that we should be beating in our sleep and talking a competition down as a "pain in the neck" from the offset.

Winning competitions like the Europa League is as much about approaching the games with the right mentality - we really want to win this - as it is about the team that is picked.

It's a mentality that big clubs should have. We are a big club.

Pure coincidence, I reckon.

France had a poor Euros. Blanc resigns. Deschamps probably takes over. That is all.

AVB is Spurs' man.

France had a poor Euros. Blanc resigns. Deschamps probably takes over. That is all.

AVB is Spurs' man.

I was thinking earlier it would be funny if it isn't AVB...it would be the second time the entire press seemingly all hung their hat on a manager related to the Spurs job only to be completely wrong with it in a matter of 2 months.

...It won't be Blanc though, surely not. He went into a meeting with the FFF the other day and was 'unsure' of his position at the end. We will have surely agreed something with AVB well before that, otherwise we'd really have to be asking what we have been doing for the last 2 weeks without a manager.

I do get the feeling it is going to be Blanc and later Levy will come out and say we were never interested in AVB. You know Spurs are always capable of doing the unpredictable. I won't have problem with either one but have a slight preference for Blanc due to his experience.

AVB is Spurs' man.

Coincidence? With what?

The only reason that the rumours of 1 Jul came about was due to AVB's gardening leave being over then.

Coincidence? With what?

The only reason that the rumours of 1 Jul came about was due to AVB's gardening leave being over then.

Regardless of whether the high level of excitement about an imminent managerial appointment is justified, I'm still convinced that AVB is our man. Simply too great a weight of information (however little verified) for me to believe that it could be anyone else now.

Now, all press should be taken with a pinch of salt obviously, but if there is any truth in the supposed £11mill (or even the £100k every month for another year or so) that AVB would be giving up to come to us then it seems he's very very eager to prove Chelsea wrong.

This could be very good for us!

Now, all press should be taken with a pinch of salt obviously, but if there is any truth in the supposed £11mill (or even the £100k every month for another year or so) that AVB would be giving up to come to us then it seems he's very very eager to prove Chelsea wrong.

This could be very good for us!

I must have missed that. Why would he loose out on 11mil by coming to us?

I must have missed that. Why would he loose out on 11mil by coming to us?

In the sun today it said that Chelsea are continuing to pay him £100k a week (up to the remainder of his contract - totalling 11mill) rather than a lump sum until he starts a new job.

Back