• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs manager mega-thread

who would it be?

• Jose Mourinho

Votes: 110 48.0%
  • Guus Hiddink

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 20 8.7%
  • Brendan Rodgers

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • Alan Pardew

• Tim Owl Face Sherwood

• Fabio Capello

• Seb Bassong

• Sandra Redknapp

Votes: 15 6.6%

• Total voters
Now thats how arguments are started, aren't they [-X

It's just my opinion, with good reason and not one that is going to change. If some wish to 'argue' then good luck to them and their ranting with a brick wall - doesn't take much for a few on here, and I'm sure you'll agree!! :lol:

Nayim defensive line at Chelsea was never gonna work when Terry is one of your defenders, he tends to do his best defensive work when playing deep throwing his body at everything in and around the box. On the other hand his pace has gone, not that he was ever fast, heck even Ibra roasted Terry in a leg race

We'll get a hard deal from the press, not because it's "Redknapps mates", but because the decision was fudging idiotic and gives rise to a false sense of entitlement and arrogance. I hope the press slaughter the fudge out of Levy if he appoints some muppet and the club goes backwards - serves him, and the tacos who supported it, right.

You can disagree with the decision, if you like. But it wasn't an idiotic decision. I very much doubt that Levy would fire the manager who had delivered a top four place in two of the past three seasons unless he had very good reason to do so.

Harry was his own worst enemy. Conducting club affairs and trying to pressurise Levy in the media was never going to impress someone who detests the limelight and who believes in discretion. Be it persistently undermining the chairman's stance on Luka Modric last summer; or demanding, not so subtly, that more money be spent on transfers and wages; and myriad other ways in which he used his chums in the media to make himself look good and Levy look bad........it was bound to end in tears.

The fact that Harry then spent three months batting his eyelashes at the FA, while taking his eye off the ball at Spurs, was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Ultimately, Levy (along with Lewis) is the one who wields the power. He has to be able to work with the manager. And if he can no longer do so, because the manner in which the manager conducts business is an anathema to him, then he has no choice but to act as he did.

To borrow this article from the Rumours thread:

Tottenham Hotspur have entered into a dialogue with Real Madrid over the potential sale of Luka Modric.

In a significant change from the stance last summer that the midfielder would not be allowed to leave the club under any circumstances, Daniel Levy is discussing a cash-plus-player exchange for the Croatia international.

The Tottenham chairman expects a substantial transfer fee, thought to be in the region of ?25 million (Dh143.8m), plus two Madrid internationals, Ricardo Carvalho and Nuri Sahin.

http://www.thenational.ae/sport/football/real-madrid-look-to-bring-in-tottenhams-luka-modric

So, who do we think might have identified Sahin and Carvalho?

One of them a direct replacement for a player who this individual previously tried to sign, and a wily Portuguese veteran who has proven himself a leader in the dressing room?

Welcome to Spurs Andre. Don't fudge it up baby.

I'm enjoying reading BrainOfLevy posts.

Something clearly did go wrong at Chelsea and maybe we will never really know what exactly, but it was all so sudden and the hatred between AVB and the players seemed so intense. It was bizarre.

I think AVB just became so overwhelmed with the job, it snowballed. Let's be honest Chelsea is a weird or unique club, at the Top level of European football. AVB was asked to do an impossible job IMO. Other clubs have meddling owners/Presidents but Abramovich takes it to another level, he wants to buy the players, run the club, choose the team and often isolates the managers. Without indulging in stereotypes, ok I am, but it's all very Kremlinesque. Divide and rule club politics and players, board, Roman underlings, manager and other staff all fighting political battles to gain influence in the Court of Roman. That is why no manager will ever last more than a few years there, even Mourinho only lasted 3 yrs. The pressure and weird working atmosphere because of the owner must be incredibly intense. Then the player situation: a group of bigger ego's ready to turn on a sixpence you could not find. They were an incredibly powerful dressing room that had bonded, through the many managerial sackings and tumultuous times under Abramovich, had been together for 8 years and longer and actually delivered constant success. Suddenly AVB is in there effecting a revolution and they resisted, just like under Scolari. Chelsea players get a lot of stick but in many ways they stood up for the club against managers they thought would threaten the clubs success, also, clearly CFC means more to Terry, Cech, Lampard and Drogba than it could or would ever mean to AVB. They have a bond with the club and you could see that when they went all out to win the CL through force of will especially Drogba. The grouping together and bonding to achieve success during Roman's more manic moments should not be underestimated as it creates a powerful squad dynamic which AVB could not manage or be accepted into. So this situation meant conflict was inevitable.

None of this exists at Tottenham and I think AVB would be able to be successful if given a chance.

I'm enjoying reading BrainOfLevy posts.

Something clearly did go wrong at Chelsea and maybe we will never really know what exactly, but it was all so sudden and the hatred between AVB and the players seemed so intense. It was bizarre.

I think AVB just became so overwhelmed with the job, it snowballed. Let's be honest Chelsea is a weird or unique club, at the Top level of European football. AVB was asked to do an impossible job IMO. Other clubs have meddling owners/Presidents but Abramovich takes it to another level, he wants to buy the players, run the club, choose the team and often isolates the managers. Without indulging in stereotypes, ok I am, but it's all very Kremlinesque. Divide and rule club politics and players, board, Roman underlings, manager and other staff all fighting political battles to gain influence in the Court of Roman. That is why no manager will ever last more than a few years there, even Mourinho only lasted 3 yrs. The pressure and weird working atmosphere because of the owner must be incredibly intense. Then the player situation: a group of bigger ego's ready to turn on a sixpence you could not find. They were an incredibly powerful dressing room that had bonded, through the many managerial sackings and tumultuous times under Abramovich, had been together for 8 years and longer and actually delivered constant success. Suddenly AVB is in there effecting a revolution and they resisted, just like under Scolari. Chelsea players get a lot of stick but in many ways they stood up for the club against managers they thought would threaten the clubs success, also, clearly CFC means more to Terry, Cech, Lampard and Drogba than it could or would ever mean to AVB. They have a bond with the club and you could see that when they went all out to win the CL through force of will especially Drogba. The grouping together and bonding to achieve success during Roman's more manic moments should not be underestimated as it creates a powerful squad dynamic which AVB could not manage or be accepted into. So this situation meant conflict was inevitable.

None of this exists at Tottenham and I think AVB would be able to be successful if given a chance.

Excellent post.

Never really thought of the player meddling from that viewpoint. I don't necessarily agree with their actions but it does put an eye-opening perspective on it.

from The Fighting C*ck .....

VgQJm.png

It's just my opinion, with good reason and not one that is going to change. If some wish to 'argue' then good luck to them and their ranting with a brick wall - doesn't take much for a few on here, and I'm sure you'll agree!! :lol:

You are of course entitled to you opinion ( even if it wrong), lets face it opinions are like ARSEHOLES everyone has got one. :lol:

You haven't really answered the question. I agree that every manager is a risk. What I am asking is what are the risks with your preferred choice and why do you think that these will not be a problem.

The AVB pros vs. cons debate has been done to death already - won't go over those again

For me it comes down to looking at someone who can introduce a system right from the training field, academy and through to matchdays - a system, which would influence the mode of thinking of youngsters coming through, players and staff alike and define our outlook for the next decade. Wenger would be a good PL example of the above, his ethos has shaped nearly 18 years of Arsenal development. From what I've read about him - he possesses all the necessary requirements to implement the above

Main concern for me would be his media relationship although we can hope he's learned a bitter-sweet lesson about English tabloids from his time at Chelsea

I hate how everyone jumps on the AVB bandwagon like he's some savior. The bloke is so overrated it's beyond belief. One good season with Porto is the basis of his whole managerial career.

People picture him as Mourinho simply because of his age and stint at Chelsea. Bringing him to Spurs is a high risk gamble imo. He has been unsuccessful in the PL.

The AVB pros vs. cons debate has been done to death already - won't go over those again

For me it comes down to looking at someone who can introduce a system right from the training field, academy and through to matchdays - a system, which would influence the mode of thinking of youngsters coming through, players and staff alike and define our outlook for the next decade. Wenger would be a good PL example of the above, his ethos has shaped nearly 18 years of Arsenal development. From what I've read about him - he possesses all the necessary requirements to implement the above

Main concern for me would be his media relationship although we can hope he's learned a bitter-sweet lesson about English tabloids from his time at Chelsea

If Sherwood is being promoted to Sporting/Technical Director wouldn't it be for him to implement a system and playing style throughout the club?

I hate how everyone jumps on the AVB bandwagon like he's some savior. The bloke is so overrated it's beyond belief. One good season with Porto is the basis of his whole managerial career.

People picture him as Mourinho simply because of his age and stint at Chelsea. Bringing him to Spurs is a high risk gamble imo. He has been unsuccessful in the PL.

I think if he does get the job he needs to be given time.

I do think people have to ignore a lot of what has been written about him, both bad AND good, and just judge him on how he does with us. I do also think that some of the praise he is already getting is doing no more than setting him up for a fall. I've seen a fair few comments now about him being the man to rebuild the club from top to bottom and I can't really see where they have got this opinion from, especially considering his age and the fact he hasn't been at one club as a Manager longer than what? 2 years?

If Sherwood is being promoted to Sporting/Technical Director wouldn't it be for him to implement a system and playing style throughout the club?

Some of the most successful stories in EPL history (and even European level) are built around a great manager/leader with full control of 'proceedings'. Personally I'm not a fan of the DoF system (assuming that is what you're impying above) so, no - for me the manager needs to be given complete autonomy and unconditinal support for the above scenario to be implemented successfully (something which seemingly wasn't the case at Chelsea)

Nayim defensive line at Chelsea was never gonna work when Terry is one of your defenders, he tends to do his best defensive work when playing deep throwing his body at everything in and around the box. On the other hand his pace has gone, not that he was ever fast, heck even Ibra roasted Terry in a leg race

Which is why I raised it as a concern.

I do believe it would work better at Spurs, we have more athletisism in our back line, but it is a worry that AVB either

- Didnt see it
- Didnt want to change it
- Didnt know how to change it...

Cheers Nayim, a good post even if I disagree with your conclusions

Which conclusions? I think the concerns are reasonable, and aside from seeing some were Chelsea specific one could only hope its not a recurring them with him. There is nothing else to wipe away the concern with certainty is there? (or even reinforce it, in fact)

Some of the most successful stories in EPL history (and even European level) are built around a great manager/leader with full control of 'proceedings'. Personally I'm not a fan of the DoF system (assuming that is what you're impying above) so, no - for me the manager needs to be given complete autonomy and unconditinal support for the above scenario to be implemented successfully (something which seemingly wasn't the case at Chelsea)

I agree but it would appear that Levy does not and that there is a fair chance that Redknapp's successor will be a first team coach only. Do you think that should impact on our choice of candidates?

Levy has made the right decision, regardless of who we appoint IMO.

When you have a two bob chancer in place you get rid...end of.

Back