• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs manager mega-thread

who would it be?

• Jose Mourinho

Votes: 110 48.0%
  • Guus Hiddink

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 20 8.7%
  • Brendan Rodgers

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • Alan Pardew

• Tim Owl Face Sherwood

• Fabio Capello

• Seb Bassong

• Sandra Redknapp

Votes: 15 6.6%

• Total voters
"He lost two key players when he joined Porto, and only signed Moutinho"

Ok so he lost 2 players to teams outside of the Portuguese league and bought in your rivals (and direct competition for the league) best player? you can easily put an argument saying that they were in a better position after those dealings.

Err.........Moutinho was signed from Sporting, who were not serious rivals to Porto. They had finished on 48 points the previous season - 20 points behind Porto. Benfica (76 points) and Braga were the two teams that had finished above Porto.

Benoit Assou-Ekotto ‏@AssouEkotto
But who is the newt manager for spurs???????????????????????????????????

geico-gecko.jpg

What do people think about Martinez? i have a sneaky feeling he's going to be a very very good manager in time.

50/50 for me.

Very weak defensively IMO, and good teams are never built on bad defences. Even in his much fabled end of season run they were suicidal at the back.

Huge respect for the fact he revolutionised their system and came up (successfully!) with something to really work for the players.

Do wonder why they were in that position in the first place.

In fact, while he deserves credit for his end of season heroics, it has to be asked why they are in such trouble to begin.

I think he is great as a personality. I think when he talks about football his ideas and beliefs sound fantastic.

Broadly I think he is very interesting, has a fair bit to offer - but at this point Im not sold. Id like to see him develop a side a bit more before coming here.

ooohhhh but you will be the first to jump on his back when things go wrong. Watch this space, will be interesting

Not sure if that was called for or where you have an historical precedent to base that opinion on. If AVB is our new manager I'll back him 100% and follow the stance I do with every new manager. As long as we seriously aren't in danger of relegation, first three years in charge are a free pass (as I believe it does take time to build a team and an ethos at a club). We hire AVB and finish 15th next year, and I wouldn't want him sacked for example.

the fact that AVB isnt a cheeky chappy ****ney with thousands of rent-a-quotes is going to weigh heavily against him it seems

I sincerely doubt that. Any fan who judges a manager on their public persona is a macaron and their opinion should be instantly disregarded anyway. Entertainment and results (in that order IMHO) are the only key attributes that really matter within the realms of legality (obviously no matter how good the results were, if the manager was found to be a Gary Glitter then most fans would justifiably want them out!). One of the biggest tacos (in terms of being stuck in front of the media) in world football is Mourinho and yet he is probably the best Manager I've ever seen.

What do people think about Martinez? i have a sneaky feeling he's going to be a very very good manager in time.

he is the first name on my list, AVB second and Ian Holloway 3rd :) serious

I think Martinez is a very good manager already. The Wigan job is almost an impossible one, Whelen no longer personally puts money in, attendances are terrible because Wigan isnt really a football town, and look at the nearby competition for fans, so for Martinez to have kept them in the Premier League is in my eyes quite an achievement. And he has done it by having the team play his brand of football which is pleasing on the eye.

Has had experience and success at Swansea, look what he built there and the foundations he laid and left behind. Martinez is tactically flexible, can change things during a match, is a man manager in the Redknapp mould, can handle the media side extremely well, likes to build a club from bottom to top, he is one of the young breed of managers that i feel needs to be given the chance of managing a bigger club. Rodgers has it at Liverpool, Lambert is at Villa, now Martinez is ready to follow the same path.

Its funny how a big club in Portugal like Porto are can give their managers position to young, or inexperienced( or even both) candidates like they have recently with AVB and then with Pereira, and they dont seem to worry about the lack of a background in those guys and simply trust that each has the qualities to do the Porto job. Its refreshing, and has paid off for them. Happened with Mourinho too.

It would be nice if Spurs could grant Martinez the same kind of chance. Doubt it though

Considering how long he was at Chelsea and their impatience for success, perhaps we should cut him some slack there? He seems to be someone who needs to bring his though process and philosophy to a club rather than someone who can provide a quick fix. For goodness sake, even Ancelotti was deemed not good enough at this club!

Considering how long he was at Chelsea and their impatience for success, perhaps we should cut him some slack there? He seems to be someone who needs to bring his though process and philosophy to a club rather than someone who can provide a quick fix. For goodness sake, even Ancelotti was deemed not good enough at this club!

Totally agree with this. I hope that we do give the new manager some time, regardless of who he is.

you are of course correct, but his backers point out that he was extraordinarily successful in his first and only season at Porto. So he can do it early on

Matt Lawton @Matt_Lawton_DM
One win in 4 matches out here obviously makes Laurent Blanc a far better option than Harry Redknapp

No arguing this irrefutable logic :rolleyes:

One concern I would have with Blanc is not that France lost to Spain because Spain are clearly the superior side, but rather that France lost in such a gutless way without making any effort. They were spineless which is a shame considering the talent the French have

But I guess it is wrong to judge a manager on one 3 week tournament right?

Last edited:
Asked a big French fan on another board I'm a member of for his opinion on Blanc:
4-3-3 or 4-5-1 and no exception.

He only had one experience as a coach with Bordeaux.
He managed to create a great relationship with his players, especially with Gourcuff and Diarra.
Both played the season of their life (also Diawara, Chamakh and Carasso) and they went on a roll, winning 10 straight games to end the season and win the title.
They weren't the best team on paper, but they were playing like they had their eyes closed passing-wise.

The folowing year started the same way the previous ended, with Bordeaux dominating.
And then, with Blanc rumored to leave, with Diawara gone, with doubt creeping into the players' mind, they sank. BIG TIME. Especially after they lost in the CL QF.

With France, he had that 24 game undefeated streak, only to fail miserably in the last two Euro games.

So all in all, it's hard to have a clear image of Blanc's coaching style. He has results, no doubt, but he can't seem to stop a negative spiral.

Back