• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs manager mega-thread

who would it be?

• Jose Mourinho

Votes: 110 48.0%
  • Guus Hiddink

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 20 8.7%
  • Brendan Rodgers

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • Alan Pardew

• Tim Owl Face Sherwood

• Fabio Capello

• Seb Bassong

• Sandra Redknapp

Votes: 15 6.6%

• Total voters
One concern I would have with Blanc is not that France lost to Spain because Spain are clearly the superior side, but rather that France lost in such a gutless way without making any effort. They were spineless which is a shame considering the talent the French have

But I guess it is wrong to judge a manager on one 3 week tournament right?

i think they have been overhyped prior to this tournament. Compare the players they have now to those available lets say 6 years ago, or 12 years ago. Not on the same planet

Duncan Castles @DuncanCastles

Understand that Tottenham have agreement in place with Andre Villas-Boas on a 3-year contract as coach.
Am told that delay is because Villas-Boas still being paid by Chelsea and will be until he takes a new job.
No additional compensation. ‪#CFC‬ contract specified he would be paid until employed elsewhere or it expired.

Duncan Castles @DuncanCastles

Understand that Tottenham have agreement in place with Andre Villas-Boas on a 3-year contract as coach.
Am told that delay is because Villas-Boas still being paid by Chelsea and will be until he takes a new job.
No additional compensation. ‪#CFC‬ contract specified he would be paid until employed elsewhere or it expired.
Is this guy reputable?

Funny if that is true

So he's getting 6m per annum from Chelsea.

Say Levy offers 3.5m plus incentives.

Would you as AVB accept the Tottenham offer.

Funny if that is true

Its pride vs greed isnt it?

on one hand he has a great deal to prove not only in English football but his reputation globally.

on the other ?2.5m difference is a big deal but what can you do with 6m that you cant with 3.5m? Maybe pay taxes?

Funny if that is true

the word was that its 1.5 mill basic rising to around 3 mill including bonuses

id put my feet up and live on the Chelsea money instead8-[

im not particularly raving for AVB but i wouldn't mind him and all my concerns are covered by the fact i think he was managing a bunch of ****s with too much power who weren't ready for change - who ultimately decided they did no want him as manager and made his life as awkward as possible.

the failure to adapt his tactics when the players at his disposal were not ideally suited would be the most glaring one - but then considering they were 5th when he left after only 6 months then i guess you could argue he may have adapted over time -

6 months is a very short window in which to pick out someones faults, sure he got things wrong but whats to say in his own time he would have corrected them? Moyes for example often starts seasons badly and finishes strongly - im sure there are other examples as well - throw in the fact it was a new club in a new country and he was given the task of rebuilding then i think it's not entirely a surprise he had a 'poor' start to his time there

who's to say his players would not have adapted to his tactics had they put their full effort in to it ? how long when trying a new formation/tactic do you give it before you decide it is not going to work ? 1 game ? a month ? half a season ? i guess there are arguments to be made either way

What do you think of him blaming the media for Chelsea's failings and do you think that this could be a problem at Spurs?

Every signing would hold risk, Milo.

Somewhere down the line we d have to take chance though and hopefully make an informed decision.

Who is your choice btw?

You haven't really answered the question. I agree that every manager is a risk. What I am asking is what are the risks with your preferred choice and why do you think that these will not be a problem.

Legitimate concerns have been done to death, ultimately it comes down to how much stock you put into them.

His lack of experience is a legitimate concern. Only a few years actively managing. That said, everyone needs to start somewhere, and if AVB is to be as good as some think then now is the time to go for him - otherwise he will be out of our league before long.

His insistence on a high defensive line at Chelsea, despite it not working. Concerns me a lot. I consider that we have players more able to implement his preferred system, so that in itself isnt an issue - but his insistence on stubbornly using it despite it not working at Chelsea worries me. I can only hope its something he has learnt from.

His "players must celebrate with me" and break down of relations with the media concern me. It shows that he got sucked into the situation instead of managing it. In some ways I think its tied into his commitment to the role, he seems to take it very personally and have a near obsessive desire to do the job thoroughly - a commendable value - but he took it to far here. Again, I think the players are less likely than those at Chelsea to create this situation so Im less inclined to worry about it, but the fact it happened concerns me. Once again I can only hope he has learnt from this as well.

Reading up on his time at both Academia and Porto it is clear he was able to build a very good relationship with the squad, so at present Chelsea is the exception more than the rule.

AVB isnt perfect, thats for sure.

He does, however, have a lot of very positive attributes I believe to be in line with what this team needs to take it forward. I also think he is well suited to the club.

Any managerial appointment is a risk, its about weighing the positives against the negatives.

For me AVB comes out as a positive over all.

Cheers Nayim, a good post even if I disagree with your conclusions

What do you think of him blaming the media for Chelsea's failings and do you think that this could be a problem at Spurs?

well, i think that's a legitimate concern - i think the media definitely had an agenda when it came to AVB and Chelsea (for what reason i can only assume) and they were obviously not on his side at all. what with their disapproval of our sacking of Harry you can almost guarantee that they will be giving AVB a tough time should he take over Spurs and again that would be another concern - he would have to be pretty thick skinned to put up with what will no doubt be slung at him.

but IMO that would make it all the more sweeter should he be a success here - i hate the media in this country, especially when it comes to football and to shove it in their faces would be a fantastic. but yea, that would be another concern for sure and a good point to make

We are going to have a problem from the media no matter who we employ, Redknapps mates in the press will make sure of that.

We are going to have a problem from the media no matter who we employ, Redknapps mates in the press will make sure of that.

We'll get a hard deal from the press, not because it's "Redknapps mates", but because the decision was fudging idiotic and gives rise to a false sense of entitlement and arrogance. I hope the press slaughter the fudge out of Levy if he appoints some muppet and the club goes backwards - serves him, and the tacos who supported it, right.

the word was that its 1.5 mill basic rising to around 3 mill including bonuses

id put my feet up and live on the Chelsea money instead8-[

Me too, I'd travel the world looking at different teams, training ideas etc etc, get myself invited to learn from the top coaches, and then in 18 months make that comeback having let the dust settle on the Cheatski fiasco.

We'll get a hard deal from the press, not because it's "Redknapps mates", but because the decision was fudging idiotic and gives rise to a false sense of entitlement and arrogance. I hope the press slaughter the fudge out of Levy if he appoints some muppet and the club goes backwards - serves him, and the tacos those who supported it, right.

Now thats how arguments are started, aren't they [-X

Back