• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New New Manager Poll (The Lets Get It Right This Time Edition)

Who Do You Want Then?

• Poch

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Enrique

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Carrick

• Kompany

• Other

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • Slot

Votes: 17 12.7%

• Total voters
I'd be curious to learn about the 'logic' in question. Your opinion is as valid as the next guy's but logic implies something that could be demonstrated or proven. Where's the proof? Each and every appointment is a gamble: nobody thought we'd play a CL final when Pochettino was appointed. Nobody thought Harry Redknapp would lead a Spurs side in the CL either. In my opinion, there's no logic in football: just odds, opinions and hindsight. But I'm not having a go and I'd be happy to be proved wrong if this wasn't a figure of speech.

Sorry to be pedantic "logic" actually means based on sound reasoning or of an action, expected or sensible under the circumstances. There is no exact science to it. You're right football doesn't always play out as we might hope it does. But the rules of logic apply to football as with any other aspect of life, generally the team with the best players win, and best players usually play for the richest teams etc etc etc. We clearly have a specific set of circumstances at Spurs that make it difficult for even the best managers to succeed here. Poch not only adapted, but brought us so close to winning the biggest prizes. Closer than any other manager we have appointed. Therefore, when you are examining the criteria for appointing a new manager, if someone has already worked in the job and been a success, it is sensible to consider that as a benchmark of how likely they will succeed in the future.

That's your opinion and your entitled to it. Mine is he struck it lucky with the players we already had were young, hungry and fit the style of play he wanted.

Fair enough. But people keep saying this when the evidence says otherwise imho. No manager following Poch could successfully work, with Dele, Sissoko, Winks, and Rose. But those were the players who took us to within a whisker of the Champions League trophy and had us finishing 4th on 71 points. That is not just "lucking" into young, hungry and fit side.

Last edited:
I suspect that the main reason we don’t want Poch is his insistence on bringing in his whole team, from mad-eye Perez to his little lad Sebastian (a “sports scientist” now, apparently). That’s what he is currently negotiating with the chavs.

If we’re committed to having a DoF and some structural continuity, the head coach can’t have a completely free hand on the whole coaching set-up.

Slot and Nagelsmann are less likely to bring an entire entourage. But anyway, we shouldn’t be talking to anyone until we have appointed a DoF.

Well we're likely to be going down the young & hungry player route again (if we can get our transfers right) so there's one tick. Proven in the Prem there's another, we likely need to clear out some established players and build a new team, another tick. We need/want to play attacking/entertaining football, We need vision, we need to work with the players here, we need to instill confidence tick tick tick. But hey in 5 years he made a few decisions that proved to be wrong/were questionable show me a manager who hasn't over the same time frame (hell i see more questionable decisions made in a far shorter timeframe from each of his successors) so is that really enough to write off 5 years of good results/performance?

But that's the crux of the issue, if we get the transfers right. We have no DoF, Poch has not proof of being capable of signing those good players. Dont get me wrong, if he can get that right i dont think many if any would do better them him as he certainly has the people skills side (question mark over the mentality but even Mou and Conte struggled to change that so wont judge it) but, but as you correctly said we have had 5 years to judge him on and as i said he had more misses then hits in terms of transfers.

If we do get in Poch i will support him as normal and hope he does great, but we can argue this to the cows come home - there are no guarantees in football, no one has a crystal ball so while your opinion may turn out to be correct so might mine :)

Is he a fit for what Chelsea need in your opinion?

Yeah I think so, all they need really is a striker. They have a squad, bloated but there is a squad there. Potter's issue was that he never settled on a formation and line up. Poch will go in there, slap them into a 4-3-3 and that's about it. Sell one of the 57 wingers that they have and buy a striker. They spent 600m, they could have come to us and bought Kane and Son and still have 300m in the bank and be in much better shape.

Yeah I think so, all they need really is a striker. They have a squad, bloated but there is a squad there. Potter's issue was that he never settled on a formation and line up. Poch will go in there, slap them into a 4-3-3 and that's about it. Sell one of the 57 wingers that they have and buy a striker. They spent 600m, they could have come to us and bought Kane and Son and still have 300m in the bank and be in much better shape.
How do they get around the overspend this season to fund the buys next season. That’s the key and unless they get special dispensation from their peers…. I think it’s an issue that keeps on getting ignored

I agree they have a squad but the amount of work shifting the players there is huge
We know how many we need to shift and they have double that
Will be interesting

They win things. Next…..

right

Chelsea havent won anything under this owner have they? They may win a ladies trophy

united did win the league cup and may win the fa cup which would be a very good season. I’d argue that’s in spite of the chairman who their fans want gone

United last season were nothing. They were a mess. They have shown exactly what I said earlier. Things can change quickly

Fair enough. But people keep saying this when the evidence says otherwise imho. No manager following Poch could successfully work, with Dele, Sissoko, Winks, and Rose. But those were the players who took us to within a whisker of the Champions League trophy and had us finishing 4th on 71 points. That is not just "lucking" into young, hungry and fit side.
We … we … lucked out that we kept Kane and he was coming through with Poch
If we had to buy in the goals he brought to the team we would be where Everton are
Kane has been the reason we progressed as he worked for Poch and made his system work
Same as lambert did it for him at Southampton
Add in the other players that were here and it meant Poch could coach and use his strengths
The whole club excelled because of it
Once Poch was asked to become manager things did change

How do they get around the overspend this season to fund the buys next season. That’s the key and unless they get special dispensation from their peers…. I think it’s an issue that keeps on getting ignored

I agree they have a squad but the amount of work shifting the players there is huge
We know how many we need to shift and they have double that
Will be interesting

And what will Boehly do if Poch decides that he doesn't like all of the wide forwards he has bought over the last year? Poch is very particular about what he wants and who is in his squads. He prefers a small squad. How will he feels about Chelsea loaning out all of their young players? Will Boehly be able to resist signing players over his head? They've got 32 first team squad members and another 8 first team players out on loan, how do you get that down to the 24 players that Poch will want to work with? I think that it is a very strange fit.

right

Chelsea havent won anything under this owner have they? They may win a ladies trophy

united did win the league cup and may win the fa cup which would be a very good season. I’d argue that’s in spite of the chairman who their fans want gone

United last season were nothing. They were a mess. They have shown exactly what I said earlier. Things can change quickly

Chelsea’s owner has been in place for just over a year? Hardly fair to compare him to ENIC who have had more than 2 decades and have made bad decision after bad decision since the stadium move. They’re also much bigger clubs and are a bigger pull for potential new signings. Like I said, if someone said we’re more an attractive option than Everton I’d agree but United or Chelsea? Nah

But that's the crux of the issue, if we get the transfers right. We have no DoF, Poch has not proof of being capable of signing those good players. Dont get me wrong, if he can get that right i dont think many if any would do better them him as he certainly has the people skills side (question mark over the mentality but even Mou and Conte struggled to change that so wont judge it) but, but as you correctly said we have had 5 years to judge him on and as i said he had more misses then hits in terms of transfers.

If we do get in Poch i will support him as normal and hope he does great, but we can argue this to the cows come home - there are no guarantees in football, no one has a crystal ball so while your opinion may turn out to be correct so might mine :)

I don't think we're going to scrap the DoF setup and the clubs scouting department appears to be much stronger since Paratichi came in and started to beef things up so i think we're in a different/better position now when compared to the years that we had Hitchen running the department.

And what will Boehly do if Poch decides that he doesn't like all of the wide forwards he has bought over the last year? Poch is very particular about what he wants and who is in his squads. He prefers a small squad. How will he feels about Chelsea loaning out all of their young players? Will Boehly be able to resist signing players over his head? They've got 32 first team squad members and another 8 first team players out on loan, how do you get that down to the 24 players that Poch will want to work with? I think that it is a very strange fit.
Shall we have a bet on which of Spurs and Chelsea next win a trophy and which of the two clubs wins more trophies over the next decade?

I don't think we're going to scrap the DoF setup and the clubs scouting department appears to be much stronger since Paratichi came in and started to beef things up so i think we're in a different/better position now when compared to the years that we had Hitchen running the department.

Yeh, there will be another, he might be a watered down version aka not involved in decisions on the team coach and suits, football operations fully over to Munn, a recruitment and scouting DOF below and then the manager.

Its a pig of the season so we obviously need to get those two appointments spot on.

TBH the season is done so I am not going to wind myself up over Stel to Mason to the summer, its just semantics now, the real quiz is the start if the summer, absolute last chance saloon

I just don’t see Poch being the tight fit there
For the same reason he wasn’t as PSG

I think he is a perfect fit for their talented, young squad.
If they had a small squad with some goals in it, I’d agree
But he needs time to bring in his ways … assuming he works the same way he did here
He won’t get that there. The pressure is on from day 1
They literally binned off a very similar coach after 7 months
What’s changed?
we will see

I am a Poch 'sympathiser' and think he will succeed at Chelsea if he goes there. He dealt with factions/egos at Spurs (Adebayor, Kaboul, Capoue, Townsend) and has handled the player circus at PSG. They have plenty of players he can shape and if not they can rot or be shifted at a loss, no need to replace. Their youth set-up is also more than good enough.

If we haven't contacted him at all, i do wonder what is going on at Spurs - probably alot of sitting around and waiting to see what happens.

I think he is a perfect fit for their talented, young squad.

I'm with you. I think he'll do really well there. They've got a lot of decent young players who will have ambition and drive, and Poch is great at the man management side and gelling players.

I think its night and day different to moving to PSG where lots of the squad where in their 30s and came with huge egos.

Back