• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New New Manager Poll (The Lets Get It Right This Time Edition)

Who Do You Want Then?

• Poch

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Enrique

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Carrick

• Kompany

• Other

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • Slot

Votes: 17 12.7%

• Total voters
It's more than just win rates, though. It's a lot of the intangibles. And again, River were not the Bayern of the Argentinean league in the past 25 years, so a much much tougher job than managing a Bayern or a PSG. Plus the board wanted to prioritize international competitions (where they were very successful), which caused their domestic form to suffer somewhat.

Which is a concern in itself. We want to compete on more than one front.

I'd rather we got Poch in than Tuchel I think. Tuchel would only be here for two years max as he is another like Conte and Mourinho who has a short shelf life. I can see why Levy went for the last two in attempting to wring a trophy or two out of a talented squad but it hasn't worked and I'd like a longer project manager. If it is Poch I hope we sell Kane, and bench Son, as we need to press from the front again and back him with young players. I'd be excited to see what Poch does with Destiny, Spence and the other youngsters. Only issue is he prefers 4 at the back, right, so does that mean our squad again needs a fair amount of change?

Only issue is he prefers 4 at the back, right, so does that mean our squad again needs a fair amount of change?

Lots of talk of that, but for a while we did play with wingbacks - Rose and Walker with Jan - Dier - Toby at the back. Yes, Dier did play more often as a DM that dropped back, but there were definitely matches when he was a CCB like he is now.

Either way, I could see Poch going for a similar setup that would suit our wingbacks. And I'd still love to see Royal converted to a RCB so we can have Porro and Spence at RB/RWB.

Lots of talk of that, but for a while we did play with wingbacks - Rose and Walker with Jan - Dier - Toby at the back. Yes, Dier did play more often as a DM that dropped back, but there were definitely matches when he was a CCB like he is now.

Either way, I could see Poch going for a similar setup that would suit our wingbacks. And I'd still love to see Royal converted to a RCB so we can have Porro and Spence at RB/RWB.

I know, I loved that set up and was surprised he never went back to it despite the good results. I feel that got a lot out of Dele hanging off Kane.

I won't bang on about him too much more, but one of the things that impresses me about Ange so much is how he bounces back from...and actually seems to thrive on being written off. Until 2011, he was defined by this on-air argument about the youth team not qualifying for the World Cup:

He was written off as a coach, only to come back and win the A-League and set an Australian football record of 36 games unbeaten. "But it's only the A-League."

He then took over the national team in 2013 and somehow turned that team into continental champions. "But it's only Asia."

He quit that job shortly before the 2018 World Cup because he didn't agree with the FA. He wanted to setup a national team program to try and win the World Cup. The FA only cared about qualifying (sound familiar?) so he stepped down and moved to Japan. A move that many people were shocked by. Giving up a World Cup to manage in Japan?

He then won the J.League in his 2nd season, Yokohama F Marinos' first in 15 years. He also managed to help redefine Japanese football. "But it's only the J.League."

He then went to Scotland, where the general reaction was summed up by Alan Brazil:

He's since turn Celtic around and won a bunch of things. "But it's only Scotland."

Yes, none of these things are the Premier League. But we'd be foolish to think we're better than him. I think he's exactly the level and the type of manager we need. Someone who will absolutely unite the fans, who'll make us enjoyable to watch again.

Here's a bit more of his personality, and I love his story about his dad's reaction to winning the Asian Cup

(No, I'm not his agent!)

Strange as it may seem but i know nothing about him in a football sense.
However as a person he would be an ideal fit for us, there's a poch, bmj vibe from him.
His handling of the media up here has been exceptional.

if the fanbase are already chanting his name, which they did heading out on Weds, then anything else is just a massive mis-step it seems.

Just get it done. Should already be in, i really feel sorry for anyone attending the game this weekend, especially if they're taking kids. will be toxic.

Strange as it may seem but i know nothing about him in a football sense.
However as a person he would be an ideal fit for us, there's a poch, bmj vibe from him.
His handling of the media up here has been exceptional.

Definitely how I see him.

if the fanbase are already chanting his name, which they did heading out on Weds, then anything else is just a massive mis-step it seems.

Just get it done. Should already be in, i really feel sorry for anyone attending the game this weekend, especially if they're taking kids. will be toxic.

On the other hand, it could be a great way to send a message. 90 minutes of singing Poch’s name should make it clear what we collectively want to happen.

I won't bang on about him too much more, but one of the things that impresses me about Ange so much is how he bounces back from...and actually seems to thrive on being written off. Until 2011, he was defined by this on-air argument about the youth team not qualifying for the World Cup:

He was written off as a coach, only to come back and win the A-League and set an Australian football record of 36 games unbeaten. "But it's only the A-League."

He then took over the national team in 2013 and somehow turned that team into continental champions. "But it's only Asia."

He quit that job shortly before the 2018 World Cup because he didn't agree with the FA. He wanted to setup a national team program to try and win the World Cup. The FA only cared about qualifying (sound familiar?) so he stepped down and moved to Japan. A move that many people were shocked by. Giving up a World Cup to manage in Japan?

He then won the J.League in his 2nd season, Yokohama F Marinos' first in 15 years. He also managed to help redefine Japanese football. "But it's only the J.League."

He then went to Scotland, where the general reaction was summed up by Alan Brazil:

He's since turn Celtic around and won a bunch of things. "But it's only Scotland."

Yes, none of these things are the Premier League. But we'd be foolish to think we're better than him. I think he's exactly the level and the type of manager we need. Someone who will absolutely unite the fans, who'll make us enjoyable to watch again.

Here's a bit more of his personality, and I love his story about his dad's reaction to winning the Asian Cup

(No, I'm not his agent!)

I was working in Glasgow when he joined working on Indiana Jones new Film during covid and went to one of his first games, was a CL qualifier. You could see from there what he was trying to do, as soon as they got the ball they were flooding the oppo and attacking in numbers and was not from a traditional counter attack, seemed whenever they got the ball, played some lovely stuff but was the start and they stuttered abit. The crowd gave him abit of stick and they did for a few weeks, but like you said, he is a fighter and now they look unbeatable (I get that its Scotland but to the fans its everything and he turned them)

I think the real benefit of someone new and with less scars is that there seems to be a resilience and energy that you don't seem to get from the experienced lot. Jose and Conte looked knackered and frustrated when they first met adversity at Spurs, and you know you are going to, its no good then just having a buffer of your wiki profile to refer to as a reason why you should put your feet up and not meet the hardship half way, its what you are paid for and the club needs.

I dont think that works. I dont see the squad is set up well for him at the moment. No creative players, not much in terms of wingers/wide forwards, weak CBs....

You're probably right. My relationship to Spurs and football is purely romantic at this point. I just want my manager back at the helm for a bit, but maybe that's not such a good idea. We'll see!

I guess I don’t have the same sense of desperation that most of the fan base seem to. We’re still competing for 4th, we’re spending good money in the transfer market, we have a decent squad. I think sacking Conte and bringing back Poch makes us look more desperate and clueless than we actually are or need to be. It smacks more to me of rose tinted specs than rational decision-making.

I think we need a fresh start, not a return to a manager who saw us through a 2.5 year slide last time he was here (which, to be clear, I do not blame him for! I just think he comes with more of a psychological burden than a boon).

True that! My relationship to football and Spurs is purely romantic at this point, so I shouldn't really have a say. I just want Poch back, but can see how it could be argued for us getting someone else in. :)

True that! My relationship to football and Spurs is purely romantic at this point, so I shouldn't really have a say. I just want Poch back, but can see how it could be argued for us getting someone else in. :)

Yeah I can’t help but feel that most of the Poch clamour comes from romanticism more than pragmatism - but that’s fair enough! And I love the man, so would be as over the moon as everyone else if he came back and brought us success. I think my reservation is mainly because I would feel a commensurate sadness and depression if he came back and things went badly - which I don’t think is at all out of the question - and I’d hate for that to taint his previous stint with us.

As we are now hearing rumours that a lot of the players aren't happy with Conte he has to go when we take all the other factors into account...

I am not against Poch coming back but not now...

I would bring back Harry Redknapp for the rest of the season with a £1million bonus if he gets us top 4.. Harry would put a smile on peoples faces and we would play a more attractive style.. At least the next few months would be fun..

If Poch was appointed now and we didn't get top 4 he would immediately be seen as a failure.. Far better for him to just watch and learn now, and be appointed at the end of the season... He could then state what he wants to improve the team, what players he wants rid of and determine what funds are available.

That could work well as long as Levy doesn't try and have him over...

COYS.

As we are now hearing rumours that a lot of the players aren't happy with Conte he has to go when we take all the other factors into account...

I am not against Poch coming back but not now...

I would bring back Harry Redknapp for the rest of the season with a £1million bonus if he gets us top 4.. Harry would put a smile on peoples faces and we would play a more attractive style.. At least the next few months would be fun..

If Poch was appointed now and we didn't get top 4 he would immediately be seen as a failure.. Far better for him to just watch and learn now, and be appointed at the end of the season... He could then state what he wants to improve the team, what players he wants rid of and determine what funds are available.

That could work well as long as Levy doesn't try and have him over...

COYS.

Harry is 76. Can't see him making the drive up from portsmouth each day at his age.

Harry also said when linked with Leeds job he was retired, no chance at 76 and as much as I loved him here, no thanks

Back