• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New New Manager Poll (The Lets Get It Right This Time Edition)

Who Do You Want Then?

• Poch

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Enrique

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Carrick

• Kompany

• Other

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • Slot

Votes: 17 12.7%

• Total voters
Got fifth place with Leicester twice, won them the FA Cup, a Gerrard slip away from winning the league with Liverpool. People on here might not like him as a person, but he is far from a crap manager....

Would bring maddison and Barnes perhaps .... not keen but if there was ever a manager to be at West ham it would be him.

Anyway ill maintain. ... it doesn't really matter who comes in ... levy will take another punt hoping that it somehow works within his operation of running a club

We are pants from boardroom to pitch and it's not going to change quickly enough ... fingers crossed, rabbit foot in hand ... we just ate not going to do anything under their leadership.

I appreciate what has been done so far but they are here for the long term profits to sustain our relavence and interests ... but not enough to win ... but then again why does it matter? Fans will turn up, pay a premium .... easy money

Would bring maddison and Barnes perhaps .... not keen but if there was ever a manager to be at West ham it would be him.

Anyway ill maintain. ... it doesn't really matter who comes in ... levy will take another punt hoping that it somehow works within his operation of running a club

We are pants from boardroom to pitch and it's not going to change quickly enough ... fingers crossed, rabbit foot in hand ... we just ate not going to do anything under their leadership.

I appreciate what has been done so far but they are here for the long term profits to sustain our relavence and interests ... but not enough to win ... but then again why does it matter? Fans will turn up, pay a premium .... easy money
I think Rogers is this season Nuno
And I dont think that will go down well
When Nuno was in charge we had that brief spell on top
Fans did go to those games but it very quickly went wrong and tickets were quickly out for sale
Under Rogers I’m not sure he would get any time
And he isnt a bad coach TBF

Hardly!

Potter - heavily rumoured to be joining Nice
Gallardo - zero chance. Levy wont appoint somoene who has never managed in Europe, and why would he join our brickshow? He'll wait for a better job rather than a club which churns through managers
Lopetegui - still in a job
Emery - wouldnt leave Villa for us surely
Mason - if we end up with Ryan, we're screwed

Need to add Rodgers and Ange P not because I think they're right, but heavily linked. Someone earlier mentioned Spaletti if he leaves Napoli

He is excellent but let's face it, if he's leaving Napoli because of their loopy-dude...well...

He is excellent but let's face it, if he's leaving Napoli because of their loopy-dude...well...

He's also extremely rigid in the exact opposite way to Conte.

If people yelled through furious spittle about Conte living and dying by his stupid tactics, they are going to keel over when they see Spalletti running the same 11-14 guys into the ground over the season and refusing to ever sit back or stop pressing even when the game is won (or, alternatively, when the team is hanging on).

People will claim they want that rigidity as long as it's attacking - but believe me, they don't, as evidenced by when people were calling for Poch to be 'pragmatic' when we conceded after pressing too much or too high.

You're conflating two different things.

1. Spurs may well have not been willing to match a fee that Feyenoord found acceptable. Without this agreement Spurs would not legally or morally be able to speak to him

2. The meeting between Slot's representatives and Feyenoord being to discuss a contract extension as confirmed by him with direct quotes.

1 and 2 are not mutually exclusive.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

Where’s the evidence of 1?

Last edited:
2 months, 2 weeks, 2 days…

We’re a laughing stock and any manager with their head screwed on would think twice about becoming our manager. We going to have to appoint someone who’s career is at a low ebb, like Rodgers, or for who it’d be a massive step up (though that wasn’t enough for Slot to aggitate to leave it seems). The fact that we can’t get someone from the Dutch league shows how unattractive we now are

You talk in such absolutes, but it’s mostly just gonad*s you’ve read on the internet and your own miserable read on the situation.

He's also extremely rigid in the exact opposite way to Conte.

If people yelled through furious spittle about Conte living and dying by his stupid tactics, they are going to keel over when they see Spalletti running the same 11-14 guys into the ground over the season and refusing to ever sit back or stop pressing even when the game is won (or, alternatively, when the team is hanging on).

People will claim they want that rigidity as long as it's attacking - but believe me, they don't, as evidenced by when people were calling for Poch to be 'pragmatic' when we conceded after pressing too much or too high.

A very fair point.

I will offer my take on what happened (n.b. I know as much -or little- as anyone here, thus salt cellar might be needed)...

We sniffed the Slot out via agent/intermediataries & co
We liked what we smelled
We made it clear that we would be interested
We did some reconnaissance on how much Feyenoord would want and received a ballpark figure
We further made it clear that in order for an official approach to happen, we needed Slot to say he wanted 'a new challenge' or some such brick in order to 'bring down any compensation'
Slot received this information and would not do it/started to realize a little more who he was dealing with
Slot secures his own immediate future as anything other than an extension leaves him vulnerable
Our 'PR team' goes into overdrive to rewrite narrative, including the whole 'feel that Slot used them in negotiations' flimflam...

I also have to wonder if we only offered him a two-year contract?

Your reading of the situation is there or there abouts imo.

Quotes from Dutch football expert and journalist Marcel van der Kraan.

His agent Rafaela Pimenta was in talks with Tottenham and she made it clear he was happy to come. Feyenoord said he was the most popular, best manager we’ve ever had. He’s brought us to the Champions League, we want to keep him and if Tottenham want him they will have to go up to €20million. With that in the back of his mind it was becoming a very difficult situation for the manager.

Also, they [Feyenoord] offered him a brand new contract with huge wages. Late last night, the manager decided well, if I can’t get out, I’ll sign a new contract here.

Absolutely, he was really keen on moving. He had given his word to Pimenta to start negotiations to speak to Spurs. He was really enthusiastic about the Premier League, he made that clear.

This is why it's a massive turnaround that both parties, Feyenoord and Slot, agreed to sign a new contract and not to go to Spurs. I think deep down in his heart, that's where he wanted to go [Spurs]."

Your reading of the situation is there or there abouts imo.

Quotes from Dutch football expert and journalist Marcel van der Kraan.

Yep - Levy trying to cheap out on the release clause and Slot getting wind of it and deciding to stay. What else is new.

Not even like I wanted the guy, but it's amusing to see the competence of our nerveless chairman on display once again. Real assets to the club, that man and his odious boss.

He’s hardly brick, his teams play good football, they attack, he brings through youth. He would get us playing a lot better football than we have the past 3 years.

He's basically the Nuno of 2023 mate, since you could say all the same things (roughly, with some variation) for Nuno. Nuno didn't leave his club on the verge of relegation either.

Yep - Levy trying to cheap out on the release clause and Slot getting wind of it and deciding to stay. What else is new.

Not even like I wanted the guy, but it's amusing to see the competence of our nerveless chairman on display once again. Real assets to the club, that man and his odious boss.

I know why you got there but I really don't understand how, from this part:

He’s brought us to the Champions League, we want to keep him and if Tottenham want him they will have to go up to €20million. With that in the back of his mind it was becoming a very difficult situation for the manager.

Also, they [Feyenoord] offered him a brand new contract with huge wages. Late last night, the manager decided well, if I can’t get out, I’ll sign a new contract here.

My read on that is that it didn't even get as far as Spurs making a decision on whether he was worth €20m. How could we be expected to do that with in 48-72 hours since the news of Slot being a target coming out? So Spurs are told it'll be €20m, they go back to consider that among the rest of the options not their shortlist and in the meantime Slot signs a new contract.

If it had gone down with Levy immediately saying "fudge it yeah let's just pay the €20m," I have absolutely no doubt you would be on here crucifying him for making such a rash decision on a relatively unproven manager from the Netherlands.

Last edited:

€20m is high in the manager market relatively speaking but I would imagine we would be prepared to go to around €10m, so my feeling is that if we are convinced on Slot’s credentials and considering the very worrying downward spiral we are in (not even to mention the Kane situation) I would be inclined to pay the extra €10m. It is after all relatively small change in the football world.

Assuming Nagelsmann and Poch are not gettable we need to just push ahead and appoint Potter now. He will fit into the new data based set up we want so get him in and be done with this farce please.

And if it is the case and Levy said "fudge it yeah lets just pay the €20m," I have absolutely no doubt you would be on here crucifying him for making a rash decision on a relatively unproven manager from the Netherlands.

Err....no. Like I said, I had doubts about Arne Slot, like I have doubts about *Ange Postecoglou (and I owe you a reply on that - basically, if we wanted someone to bring the club together and fight for it, Poch was *right there* for us to appoint).

But Levy spending money, really committing to a first-choice, never gets a no from me - he doesn't do it enough, and indeed, cannot because he and his tax exile boss are midget fish in the sea of sharks that is modern PL ownership,and *that* is what irks me.

If he spent 100m on Slot, I wouldn't blame him for it. Spending more is the goal - I just happen to think he cannot do so so a new,ambitious and forward-thinking owner to toss his sorry behind out of the building is best for us.

€20m is high in the manager market relatively speaking but I would imagine we would be prepared to go to around €10m, so my feeling is that if we are convinced on Slot’s credentials and considering the very worrying downward spiral we are in (not even to mention the Kane situation) I would be inclined to pay the extra €10m. It is after all relatively small change in the football world.

Assuming Nagelsmann and Poch are not gettable we need to just push ahead and appoint Potter now. He will fit into the new data based set up we want so get him in and be done with this farce please.

I agree re: this Slot bloke, but it's characteristic of Daniel Levy - penny wise, pound foolish and all that.

As for the next coach, Potter isn't the *worst* shout in the world - honestly had a bad hand at Chelsea (though he won't have a better one here). But I'd still love Marcelo Gallardo, and he's still available.

Err....no. Like I said, I had doubts about Arne Slot, like I have doubts about *Ange Postecoglou (and I owe you a reply on that - basically, if we wanted someone to bring the club together and fight for it, Poch was *right there* for us to appoint).

But Levy spending money, really committing to a first-choice, never gets a no from me - he doesn't do it enough, and indeed, cannot because he and his tax exile boss are midget fish in the sea of sharks that is modern PL ownership,and *that* is what irks me.

If he spent 100m on Slot, I wouldn't blame him for it. Spending more is the goal - I just happen to think he cannot do so so a new,ambitious and forward-thinking owner to toss his sorry behind out of the building is best for us.

Given your posting history, I find the first sentence of your last paragraph hard to believe but if you say so. It still ignores the key point; there wasn't enough time for Spurs to pass judgement on the fee before Slot signed a new contract.

Given your posting history, I find the first sentence of your last paragraph hard to believe but if you say so. It still ignores the key point; there wasn't enough time for Spurs to pass judgement on the fee before Slot signed a new contract.

My posting history's been the same throughout - people just remember it differently. ;) If you'd caught me on VitalSpurs waaaaay back (talking 2010 days), you'd find a different me that wholeheartedly believed Levy's flimflam, but our failures in the January window in 2012 showed me how wrong I was, and it's only gotten worse since.

As for the second bit, plenty of time -

>'it'll cost 20m to get me/my client'
>'Bit high, can you/your client burn some bridges with your club so we can work on lowering that?'
>'I don't/my client doesn't feel great continuing this conversation'

Once it was doubtful on if we were fully committed, Slot committed to Feyenoord since you don't want to tinkle fans and the club off after so recently being a hero to them.

That whole cycle can happen in a day, mate. Think back to when we signed VdV - that deal, from possibility to signing, happened in a few *hours*, as per Redknapp. Same thing applies here.

Back