• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New Back Four

True but they had Neves and Mourinho who were much cleverer in their positioning than Winks and Lo Celso. If one went, the other sat. Our two ran around chasing the ball, leaving big gaps for wolves to exploit centrally.
They really weren’t. Our midfield outplayed them that day but a lack of a striker cost us
I showed you the stats at the time. We on ,ore tackles, made more passes and played more in their third... but had no one to get on the end of anything
Their FBs won them the game with their runs and of course goals too

They really weren’t. Our midfield outplayed them that day but a lack of a striker cost us
I showed you the stats at the time. We on ,ore tackles, made more passes and played more in their third... but had no one to get on the end of anything
Their FBs won them the game with their runs and of course goals too
Our full back made our first and scored our second. The stats were as such as Wolves sat back and let us have the ball. Didn’t mean we deserved to win the game.

Agree that we need a lot of change at the back

- Aurier is too error prone and needs improving. We only have one RB as it is
- At CB
- JV will leave
- Toby is passed it, but could act as a 3rd/4th choice next season
- Sanchez has been poor for 18 months, but is good enough as a back-up
- I think Dier deserves a season to try to cement a first choice position at CB
- Tanganga has potential but is a 5th choice CB at the moment, not 4th
- therefore we need a new first choice CB next summer, and perhaps another CB the year after depending on Tanganga's progress
- At LB, we could perhaps survive a season with Davies/Sessegnon in order to focus funds elsewhere and give Sessegnon a chance to improve
- We desperately need a DM

Therefore I'd focus the money this summer on a RB, CB and DM - that's £100m comfortably. Given those are priorities, I think we need to try to find a cheapo/out of contract/old etc back-up CF as those defensive additions are first choice players and more desperately needed

I think people underestimate how much the midfield can/should protect the back 4, lots of brick teams with worse CBs than ours keep clean sheets.

- Agree the Jan will leave, probably Foyth as well
- Toby, Sanchez and Dier to me fight for main spots
- Tanganga has promise but just needs more game time at this level, perhaps staying at FB/rotation spots for another season before we sit him in CB

I think our priority is

- DM - best money can get us here
- RB/LB we need depth/options
- CB - only if it's someone who can walk into first 11 (no sense in another Tanganga/Foyth player)

Realistically one window likely not enough due to no guarantees players work out

- A fresh, fit, motivated squad with a preseason plus a quality DM and some FB options would be enough in my opinion to get back a top 4 place and push for domestic cup.

I think people underestimate how much the midfield can/should protect the back 4, lots of brick teams with worse CBs than ours keep clean sheets.

- Agree the Jan will leave, probably Foyth as well
- Toby, Sanchez and Dier to me fight for main spots
- Tanganga has promise but just needs more game time at this level, perhaps staying at FB/rotation spots for another season before we sit him in CB

I think our priority is

- DM - best money can get us here
- RB/LB we need depth/options
- CB - only if it's someone who can walk into first 11 (no sense in another Tanganga/Foyth player)

Realistically one window likely not enough due to no guarantees players work out

- A fresh, fit, motivated squad with a preseason plus a quality DM and some FB options would be enough in my opinion to get back a top 4 place and push for domestic cup.
Whilst I agree the logic of a midfield protecting the defence out defenders make basic similar errors consistently that even the worlds best DM can’t fix and most of them come via play down our sides. Get better FBs who can actually defend and you cut down on the amount of chances we concede

There has to be a change in our transfer attitude!
We are not going anywhere with current half arsed transfer system!

Whilst I agree the logic of a midfield protecting the defence out defenders make basic similar errors consistently that even the worlds best DM can’t fix and most of them come via play down our sides. Get better FBs who can actually defend and you cut down on the amount of chances we concede
Most teams play down the sides anyway. My perception is that we also have an alarming number of goals that start from the opposition having time on the ball deep inside our half in central positions.

Most teams play down the sides anyway. My perception is that we also have an alarming number of goals that start from the opposition having time on the ball deep inside our half in central positions.

Ive looked at the goals we conceded a lot. I have too much time on my hand
The most advanced people get through the middle is past the semi on the edge of the halfway line, then most transverse left or or right and then carry on running into the area
Our full backs either don’t react, make a poor challenge or don’t know what to do (Ben Davies favourite)...
we do concede from some shots from the centre but before Leipzig I can’t think of one right now...

Ive looked at the goals we conceded a lot. I have too much time on my hand
The most advanced people get through the middle is past the semi on the edge of the halfway line, then most transverse left or or right and then carry on running into the area
Our full backs either don’t react, make a poor challenge or don’t know what to do (Ben Davies favourite)...
we do concede from some shots from the centre but before Leipzig I can’t think of one right now...
What about Traore tucking in against Wolves for their second. In the exact space where a good DM would be. Their third goal the same, Jotta carries it infield nobody to challenge, he gets close to the edge of our box and is central when he slips in Jimenez.

if Spurs had that Partay fella then neither of those goals happen.

Last edited:
What about Traore tucking in against Wolves?
He passes the ball to Jiminez who then passes it the it to the RB, who was completely unmarked by Ben Davies.
The challenge that let him though came from Tanganga stepping out of position and was crucial As he was then out of position

He passes the ball to Jiminez who then passes it the it to the RB, who was completely unmarked by Ben Davies.
The challenge that let him though came from Tanganga stepping out of position and was crucial As he was then out of position
And Tanganga comes out of position because there is no DM to stop Traore getting on the ball in such a dangerous position.

And Tanganga comes out of position because there is no DM to stop Traore getting on the ball in such a dangerous position.
But if there was a DM that deep then no one would have stopped or pressurised the free kick and they would have ran into our half free for 30 yards...
I can’t argue that a DM would be beneficial but we have to fix the full backs who let in some many balls and crosses and barely win a challenge in their area of play

Last edited:
Ok
Why hasn’t a side with a bigger budget signed those players?
Cos they don’t need them having already shown ambition and bought top players of course!

If I had have listed Van Dijk, Trent, Maguire, Wan Bissaka, you’d have quite rightly said we couldn’t get them even if we showed ambition.

Therefore I listed ones that were gettable if we showed ambition.

We should have taken Wan Bissaka for example. United paid less than we got for Walker....

Back