• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nacer Chadli

Agreed. At least to an extent.

Imo the goalkeeper claiming the ball is just about the worst outcome as it sets the defending team up for a counter attack (see Chelsea's opener against us). Most of the time if the keeper punches it or it's cleared with a header it will bounce around to anyone and most of the time the attacking team will win it back or at least delay the counter attack sufficiently. But the goalkeeper having the ball in his hands and everyone scrambling to get back/forward is not a good situation.

I think overall I prefer some mi**** corners as the cost with better delivery when it does come off as the upside. Would be interesting to see how goals from corners are scored, how many are from actually pinged in quality balls and how many are from floated in looped type crosses.
It is not quite the data that you were asking for but it is an interesting read all the same

http://www.soccerbythenumbers.com/2011/05/why-goal-value-of-corners-is-almost.html?m=1

Good point brainy, about the keeper claiming it and launching an attack.

Therefore a key thing for me is to put someone in front of the keeper, causing a nuisance, standing on his toes and generally causing confusion to (a) stop the keeper cleanly rushing out (b) block the view of the keeper if someone heads it on target (c) tap in anything that is falling towards the keeper.

I agree that Fazio, Verts, Kane, Chadli, (Capoue) should all get in the mixer and do blocking manouevres and fakes (you two run near post, you fake a run then go back post)

It is not quite the data that you were asking for but it is an interesting read all the same

http://www.soccerbythenumbers.com/2011/05/why-goal-value-of-corners-is-almost.html?m=1

Yes, interesting as far as it goes, and it would have been nice to have had the data to fill in the gaps in the argument. Passing over the fact he can't seem to make up his mind which way round he wants to express his ratios, and that he begs the question a bit at the end with the statement about preferring short corners, if that level of detail isn't available, even so, I suspect the broad conclusion has some merit. I've often said our opposition is never more dangerous than when we've won a corner...

Yes, interesting as far as it goes, and it would have been nice to have had the data to fill in the gaps in the argument. Passing over the fact he can't seem to make up his mind which way round he wants to express his ratios, and that he begs the question a bit at the end with the statement about preferring short corners, if that level of detail isn't available, even so, I suspect the broad conclusion has some merit. I've often said our opposition is never more dangerous than when we've won a corner...
The blog contains early drafts and excerpts from their book. I have a copy of the book, I will see if they have any more in it tonight.

Cheers Milo, interesting read.

I've long been curious to see a stat of goals scored compared to goals conceded in say the next 45 seconds or a minute after either getting or conceding a corner for various teams. Think it could be interesting, then again it might not be interesting at all - which would also be interesting ;)

Cheers Milo, interesting read.

I've long been curious to see a stat of goals scored compared to goals conceded in say the next 45 seconds or a minute after either getting or conceding a corner for various teams. Think it could be interesting, then again it might not be interesting at all - which would also be interesting ;)

There is not much more in the blog although they do include an interesting quote from Mourinho:

“How many countries can you think of where a corner kick is treated with the same applause as a goal? One. It only happens in England.”

historically in English football crosses mean goals, I had an fa coaching guide when was a kid in the 80's (the winning formula it was called, Diego on the cover) that was still proposing crossing as the best way to score

obviously that's long changed but these beliefs die out long after the facts suggest they should

historically in English football crosses mean goals, I had an fa coaching guide when was a kid in the 80's (the winning formula it was called, Diego on the cover) that was still proposing crossing as the best way to score

obviously that's long changed but these beliefs die out long after the facts suggest they should

You can blame Charles Reep for that

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Reep

unsurprisingly Arsenal had a hand in it too

You can blame Charles Reep for that

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Reep

unsurprisingly Arsenal had a hand in it too

"Reep's work has been heavily criticised by, among others, the writer Jonathan Wilson. Wilson points out that Reep's analysis shows that 91.5% of moves in the games he studied had 3 passes or fewer and that logically, this would mean that 91.5% of all goals should come from moves with 3 passes or fewer. However, Reep's analysis found that fewer than 80% of goals came from moves with 3 passes or fewer"

Ha ha some of the lads on here would be embarrassed to bend stats that far! :D :D

It will never happen, but I'd like to see an analysis of "%success of corners when the delivery is put in the right area and the attackers really believe and go for it"

I'm sure it would be a reasonable figure.

Most games turn on one incident or one goal, so even something that seems unlikely can have a massive impact on a season, just from 5 successes.

9 for the season now. Has become an important first team member this season and Poch deserves some praise for this. Definetly feel he's come on maybe 10-15% from last year and that there's a real purpose to his role.

Reep's analysis found that fewer than 80% of goals came from moves with 3 passes or fewer"

that is still a fascinating discovery, but i digress.

jonathan wilson is taking a cheap shot at Reep's findings because football was way different then - the soggy and uneven pitch, the heavy ball, low technical ability of players - just favoured the long ball. even messi would have considered another career if he was born around that time.

that is still a fascinating discovery, but i digress.

jonathan wilson is taking a cheap shot at Reep's findings because football was way different then - the soggy and uneven pitch, the heavy ball, low technical ability of players - just favoured the long ball. even messi would have considered another career if he was born around that time.
I am not sure how accurate the entry is about Wilson's criticism, it is Wikipedia after all.

9 for the season now. Has become an important first team member this season and Poch deserves some praise for this. Definetly feel he's come on maybe 10-15% from last year and that there's a real purpose to his role.
I agree. He might not be the first name on the team sheet but we will miss him when he's gone.

With regards to Reep, he was an ideologue obsessed with long ball, so much so he went out faked stats in an attempt to prove his point.
Its the kind of thing fanboys do all over the internet now.
Except no one else was doing anything with stats at the time so people believed him.
And it ruined English football for generations.

And some of it is still there in the shadows.

With regards to Reep, he was an ideologue obsessed with long ball, so much so he went out faked stats in an attempt to prove his point.
Its the kind of thing fanboys do all over the internet now.
Except no one else was doing anything with stats at the time so people believed him.
And it ruined English football for generations.

And some of it is still there in the shadows.

Reep's ruination of English football was hugely helped by this melt too...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Hughes_(football_coach)

I love Nacer, me (too stay on topic).

Reep's ruination of English football was hugely helped by this melt too...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Hughes_(football_coach)

I love Nacer, me (too stay on topic).

"Hughes presented his ideas in the now defunct magazine Match Analysis and concluded most goals were scored from three passes or fewer, therefore it was important to get the ball quickly forward as soon as possible. He based this analysis on over one hundred games at all levels, including games involving Liverpool F.C. and the Brazilian national team, as well as many England Youth games."

Sounds like he only included whichever games would support his weird stat.
I bet he included set pieces as well.

Anyone has goals/assists per minute stats? I'm guessing Kane and chadli to be the top two.

P601_zps4e17dc46.png

Tottenham Hotspur Season 2014-15 Squad Minutes Played

Back