• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nabil Bentaleb

Re: Official Nabil Bentaleb Thread

I'd keep Betaleb in there now, he's only going to get better and seems to have a very strong mentality which should make him consistent.

He did a couple of quietly extraordinary things on Saturday, like when he drew in three players and calmly flicked it away to a teammate. He had no time even when the ball arrived but made his own time and space like great players do. Did remind me of Carrick.

I'd keep Betaleb in there now, he's only going to get better and seems to have a very strong mentality which should make him consistent.

He did a couple of quietly extraordinary things on Saturday, like when he drew in three players and calmly flicked it away to a teammate. He had no time even when the ball arrived but made his own time and space like great players do. Did remind me of Carrick.

The game where I could see the argument for dropping/rotating out Bentaleb was the City game.

Like you I think he should stay in the team now. Yet to see anyone present even a half-arsed argument supporting why a combination of any two out of Dembele, Sandro, Paulinho and Capoue will give us enough passing and movement or why we shouldn't prioritize passing and movement.

I don't see the consistency with what you're saying.

First you complain about him only making the easy passes. I assume you're talking about the kind of simple passing that got him 100+ pass attempts in a single game (as the first player for us since Modric), the stuff he does all the time, making himself available, fast accurate passing with both feet.

Then I ask why our other players can't do that if it's so simple, but then all of a sudden we're talking about the few good moves in a game?

For a player to do both, the consistent (so called) easy passes that keeps the team ticking and then also pull off the Taraabt like couple of special moves sounds like quite the combination for me.

Same question as before, why can't our other players do what he does if it's so easy?

He might not be good enough to be our first choice when Sandro, Paulinho and Dembele are all fit. We'll see what Sherwood does. But I'll repeat myself here, if we want passing through the middle, passing tempo, movement and some purpose to our passing in the centre then Bentaleb offers more than the other central options. Might say more about the imbalance in our squad and our lack of real experienced passers in the centre of the pitch than it says about Bentaleb, but this is the squad we have.
short answer: to me bentaleb flatters to deceive at the moment.
long answer: there are better options that exclude bentaleb. having a more solid core, and letting the play go down the wings where lennon/townsend are at their best, instead of trying to pass through the centre and leaving a gaping hole back there.

long answer: there are better options that exclude bentaleb. having a more solid core, and letting the play go down the wings where lennon/townsend are at their best, instead of trying to pass through the centre and leaving a gaping hole back there.

I agree, I think people get caught up in this young player fantasy.

There is no way Bentaleb should/could get on the team sheet in front of Sandro

I agree with this, but I don't think anyone is saying that he should.

Anyone else notice how the tempo of our play has become much faster since Bentaleb has come into the side? Reason being, you need a player like him there. He makes things tick. He stays deep, moves into space, looks for a pass, and quickly distributes the ball. He always seems to have plenty of time and space on the ball which is the mark of a good player with a good touch.

It's all well and good being able to pass the ball to Dembele who can use his super strength to hold people off and run forwards a bit before passing sideways. But it's slow, predictable and doesn't actually create many chances. I think it's also because Sherwood has told the players that they have to actually move into space when they don't have the ball and to play one-touch football sometimes, but I think a big part of the reason that we're more fluent is because of Bentaleb's involvement.

He's not Xavi/Pirlo. He's not even Carrick/Arteta yet. But when those two were significantly older than he is they were playing in the Championship and the SPL respectively. I think he's shown remarkable maturity for his age and with more experience and game time he'll get better. But more importantly, we don't have anyone else like him in the side. And you need a player like that to control the game. Ideally, I'd like to see him playing alongside Eriksen and Sandro as part of a three man midfield.

So you agree he's our best passer in central midfield?

Wide players like Lennon and Bale (when played wide) have been at their best when we've had good passers in central midfield imo. I'm not saying we should play Bentaleb and try to Barcelona our way through teams, but passing tempo and purpose through the centre of midfield is massively advantageous for attacking players including wide players.

Not sure why Sandro is the man to beat? Most agree that a fit Sandro is one of, if not the, first player(s) on the team sheet.

With injuries and some EL rotation when the fixture list gets congested again it's not like we'll just need two first choice central midfielders and be done with it. I think any two out of Sandro, Dembele and Bentaleb looks quite good on paper. Paulinho can do a job in those deeper roles too although I prefer him further forward myself, might be at his best next to Sandro if he plays deeper. I rate Capoue as a good player too, but obviously Sherwood rates Paulinho, Dembele and Bentaleb ahead of him.

And, like I've said, if we want passing tempo through the middle I think we should find space for Bentaleb. Perhaps I'm wrong and a combination of two out of Sandro, Dembele, Paulinho and Capoue are capable of giving us the passing tempo we need and the problem was AVB holding them back or something. I'm not holding my breath though, will rather be pleasantly surprised if it happens.

Think he works best in a midfield three, certainly when he doesn't have massive defensive responsibilities. Using Sandro alongside him and Eriksen should free him up substantially

I'm just not sure there is a space for him in a squad with everyone fit & available

Sandro in front of back 4 is a non negotiable for me

If you play two up front, that only leaves 3 spots
-> Eriksen is probably the next certain starter, likely LW
-> Lennon/Lamela wide right
-> Paulinho/Dembele as the attacking mid
-> Situation gets worse if you use Townsend, LW, then Eriksen likely to come inside.

1 up front, little more room but the way I look at it is
-> Sandro/Capoue are better DM options over Bentaleb
-> Paulinho/Dembele are better attacking options (more likely to score)
-> Eriksen better ball playing option

The kid has done well, got something about him, but don't see him as a regular in EPL 1st team

I'd argue that in a midfield three he'd fit in well with anyone + a DM. He doesn't get in ahead of Eriksen, but if we were playing Eriksen as one of the wide players with say Paulinho as the most advanced midielder, then I'd rather Bentaleb there than Dembele. One of those middle three has to be able to pass it around well and if it isn't Eriksen there then for me it has to be Bentaleb.

I'd argue that in a midfield three he'd fit in well with anyone + a DM. He doesn't get in ahead of Eriksen, but if we were playing Eriksen as one of the wide players with say Paulinho as the most advanced midielder, then I'd rather Bentaleb there than Dembele. One of those middle three has to be able to pass it around well and if it isn't Eriksen there then for me it has to be Bentaleb.

Dembele.... The most frustrating player in the club. He has it all but uses about a third of it.

With his ability to hold onto the ball and his shooting prowess from his days as a striker he should be a perfect attacking midfield players.... However his inability to pass it forwards coupled with his lack of shots to me makes him the player most vulnerable to a fast passing dynamic midfielder like Bentelab

Bentelab looks really string considering his years and he keeps the tempo flowing which is exactly what Modric used to do. He will look much better once we have a left winger too and can then shift Eriksen into the number 10 role. At the moment we have no option on the left as an outlet other than Rose which hinders someone like Bentelab

Against city I'd like to have seen Demebele play left mid and tuck in when necessary but that's a tactic were never gonna see IMO

I'm actually starting to wonder if in the long run it is harming Bentaleb's development to be playing in our current team with no midfielder, especially a defensive one, who can help organise our play a bit better and guide him through games.
I still think it was criminal of Sherwood to effectively throw Bentaleb to the Wolves with no protection vs Emirates Marketing Project. Certainly top coaches like Mourinho wouldn't have done; only in Wenger's mad years post-Viera would he have done such a thing.

People might complain about Capoue and his passing, but definitely vs Manure away he was constantly giving orders to the likes of Dembele, telling them where to position themselves etc. This kind of organisational skill in the CM can be crucial for a young CMs development, especially in the big games.

Sherwood needs to use Bentaleb in the right way from now on...I don't want to see him thrown to the wolves in the really big games again like he was vs Arsenal and Emirates Marketing Project.

****ing phone!

While Sandro and Dembele are fit they should always be the midfield 2. I think the only way we will get the best out of Bentaleb is if he is played in a midfield 3 because he is shocking when we are not in possession and was found out against Palace in the first half and all game against City.

I said it when he first started playing and i'll say it again, he is no good enough for a starting place at this moment in time. Sandro, Dembele, Paulinho and Capoue should all be infront of him in the pecking order.

Agreed. I'm looking forward to seeing Bentaleb play alongside Sandro in the middle as I think that their styles will complement each other nicely.

Dembele is the player that should get dropped imho, as whilst he's a talented jack of all trades: Sandro' superior at shielding the defence, Bentaleb' better at passing, Paulinho provides more of a goal threat and Eriksen is a cut-above at creating chances.

With the Brazilians back from injury I'd like to see a midfield trio of Sandro + Bentaleb + Paulinho with Eriksen playing further forward in a floating role off Adebayor.

This boy is special. The way he makes space for himself and keeps the ball moving on quickly cannot be taught. Positioning and end product will no doubt improve but you can't teach the ability he has in his locker.

This boy is special. The way he makes space for himself and keeps the ball moving on quickly cannot be taught. Positioning and end product will no doubt improve but you can't teach the ability he has in his locker.

Yep. I think we've seen the start of something special. He's not there yet of course but he has an amazing football intelligence that belies his age. I was watching him very closely in the Hull match and he really impressed me with his decision making. It's becoming clearer to me why Tim keeps him picking him.

The potential is there but needless to say this is not always realised. I think a good example is Dembele. I think he is a great player but he could be amazing. The guy could step up to another level if he just believed in himself a bit more. Sometimes a player makes this jump on his own or sometimes a coach coaxes it out of him. And at 26 it really has to happen for him now.

Yep. I think we've seen the start of something special. He's not there yet of course but he has an amazing football intelligence that belies his age. I was watching him very closely in the Hull match and he really impressed me with his decision making. It's becoming clearer to me why Tim keeps him picking him.

The potential is there but needless to say this is not always realised. I think a good example is Dembele. I think he is a great player but he could be amazing. The guy could step up to another level if he just believed in himself a bit more. Sometimes a player makes this jump on his own or sometimes a coach coaxes it out of him. And at 26 it really has to happen for him now.

Agreed re: Dembele and Bentaleb is like the anti Dembele. He never dwells on the ball and it is really helping to speed up our attacks.

I think in front of Sandro is precisely where he should be on the team sheet (I know what you meant really).

Sandro with Bentaleb & Eriksen in front is a fantastic midfield.

Back