• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Moussa Sissoko

Had proper written him off as one of the worst players I’d seen in a Spurs shirt. Still looks a bit awkward controlling a ball but, fudge me, he’s been immense recently.

Never been so happy to be completely wrong especially given our lack of quality in that area of the pitch. Hopefully he keeps this run of form going for a bit.

His performances this season mean that we should turn a profit on him, if we sold him in the summer.
I think you're forgetting inflation.

Sure we'll get £30m back for him, but when we bought him £27 got you Gabriel Jesus and only £37 bought Leroy Sane. We won't get our money back, because today's equivalent of £30m is about £60-80m.

Winksy is not as strong and is not quite as rapid.
Winksy is far better in passing, but he is a totally different footballing tool.
Sissi is far more useful where strength and power are required and has been worth his place over the past few months no matter how much we want to dismiss it.
Modric is neither as strong nor as rapid but anyone who's ever seen a football match would choose him over Sissoko.

Sari played one way at Napoli regardless of opponent, he will play that way with Chelsea.

Means kante is wasted

Just utterly bizarre to use Kante in the way that he did. As Scara said, play him as a destroyer or not at all.

Personally I think Kante and Jorginho together would have been comlimentary, but as it is Chelsea just handicapped themselves and it makes no sense.

It seems that, the last two Chelsea managers have come in expecting to make 4-1-4-1 work...I wonder if it can be done in this league. The cut off of the single holding playmaker means there’s too much of an easy and obvious route to choking the whole system.

Poch has tried it as well but always seems to abandon it as soon as he starts it.

It can certainly work, like any formation - but depends upon the having right players in the right places. Yesterday was tactical suicide.

To be fair to Nayim, it was he arguing that Sissoko should have something of a Palacios role a couple of pages back was it not?

Although on the other hand, I’m sure I’ve had some debates where I’ve said Sissoko is excellent defensively and ive had it said that he is bad...alongside being a terrible footballer and up until only recently a complete liability, it is quite the change to now say it was always the case that he’d play well in the position. *insert smiling emoji here*

Sissoko has been utterly terrible defensively at times. Thats the beauty of an ongoing point of view, rather than an entrenched one - recognising change.

I dont and havent stated he would always been good in that position. Until recently Id have said the best position for him would have been boot boy.

However, with his improvement, I have stated the way to play him to his best utility is as a strict DM. Yesterday he did that, and IMO put in his best performance for us since joining. He did well.

I think there comes a time when you just need to admit he has surprised you recently. Sorry, and I more than willing to apologise if proven otherwise, but for you to suggest that you “knew he’d do well” when deployed as a DM is re-writing history. Unless you meant to say “sent”?

Quite possible, I lost total track of the ding-dong debates there, so will happily hold my hand up if that is the case. I have actually believed -and still believe- that his best work is done as a central midfielder working box-to-box as he has room to move/is supported defensively by the likes of the much-underrated Dier. It worked supremely well today because our creatives - Kane/Dele/Eriksen/Son - got to play together with freedom and relative fitness/freshness for the first time I remember this season. I actually believe that if Sissoko was deployed in the Dier position, it would not be the best use of him at all. I am simply glad that he is finally showing that there has always been a player in there, albeit one who lacked confidence and did not play in his preferred position for a while due to being a squad player.

I really feel like you have me confused with someone else. And I also feel you might want to order your own thoughts on the player before taking shots at me ;)

It was over a week ago I stated his best position for us, to get the most out of him, would be strictly as a DM. To which you disagreed. Only to make the exact same point a few days later :D

I actually believe - and still believe - DM is getting the absolute most out of him. And disagree with you entirely that he should in any way be a box to box player.

It was notable in the last two games prior, how poor his positioning and movement was as a b2b type, as well as the fact he simply doesnt provide enough of anything going forward. Against Wolves he left Winks consistently exposed and the team suffered. Against Palace Wanyama did a very good job of covering his gaps and people were then claiming Sissoko to be the second coming. He wasnt, HIS performance was basically as before, but the team was set up to compensate.

Yesterday? He was EXPLICITY a DM. Not b2b, this was a very different role. Most obviously when he intercepted a ball, thought to put the afterburners on, but then consciously checked back and played it simple. He was very clearly given a strict role to play which was different from what he has been doing.

He was playing the role I have been saying he should be, the one you argued against. And, as I said, I think it was probably his best performance for us.

Sissoko didn't just play well by Sissoko standards yesterday, if he can keep that up, we won't miss Wanyama or Dembele.

When playing as an outright DM, then he could replace Wanyama on that sort of form. He wont ever be able to replace Dembele though.

Modric is neither as strong nor as rapid but anyone who's ever seen a football match would choose him over Sissoko.
The difference is that Modric can actually hold up against bigger, stronger players. Winks has got turned over almost every time he gets into a tussle. He doesn't possess neither the strength, the balance nor cleverness of Modric to do that. Nor would I expect it, as Modric is one of the best players in the world, and Winks is nowhere near that level.

Last edited:
The difference is that Modric can actually hold up against bigger, stronger players. Winks has got turned over almost every time he gets into a tussle. He doesn't possess neither the strength, the balance nor cleverness of Modric to do that. Nor would I expect it, as Modric is one of the best players in the world, and Winks is nowhere near that level.

In which case I refer you to the post:

I really think you need to watch Winks play more. He can do everything Sissoko can and much, much more.

No he can't. He can do different things. Winks is tippy tappy, "pretty" football. Sissoko is a powerhouse/destroyer.
I think you've entirely missed what Wink brings to the table. He's absolutely not a "tippy tappy" footballer. He's the closest thing we've had to Modric since the little wizard himself. If we can't have the best, the closest approximation is what we should aim for.

If you would genuinely pick Sissoko (or even a footballer version of him) over Modric then I don't think we'll ever get even close to a middle ground to agree on. We clearly view football as two entirely separate sports!

No I would not.
Yesterday I would.

I see this idea gathering stream (although it’s a nicer idea than calling him literally not a footballer) that Sissoko would only really function with a creative alongside him, but I just disagree. I agree that in a 4231, he is best as one of the two. But I don’t agree that we would struggle to break teams down if he is partnered with Dier or Wanyama there and a team came to defend against us. We play at that tempo from yesterday against any team, we will score goals.

I also think it’s been over a year since Sissoko was consistently employed as one of the 3. Last season he played deeper and it was more of a diamond when he started, although there were times (Burnley away, 3-0 win) where he played in the 2 with Dier.

Winks is obviously a better passer, but he couldn’t make the tackle on Kovacic that is widely shared because he isn’t as physical. It’s good to have a mix of attributes in the squad, but overall the system is what will help us win games. Sissoko is performing to a level now whereby whether it’s him or Winks, or partnered with a DM or not, it’s much of a muchness as long as the system works. I confidently predict that if we play some bus parking sides this season and it’s a Sissoko / Dier 2, we will swat them aside.

I also don’t agree that Sissoko was a pure DM yesterday. The whole team started collapsing into the space in front of our box once we got into a 2 goal lead. But when it was the chance to break (as with Kane’s miss), it was Sissoko bombing up the field. And again, it arguably isn’t a position Winks could get himself into, so they both have creative benefits in different ways.

Back