• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Moussa Sissoko

He's a Spurs player in great form, so I find this thread title to be in really poor taste.

We've seen the difference the support from fans in the stadium has made.. It'd be nice if GG could give him some too.

I do agree but do not hold your breath for some of them to climb out of the hole they have built for themselves by their comments. He was our best player yesterday and it was good to see/hear fans at the game singing his name.

Have you noticed that when he doesn't have the ball and is in space he is very good at instructing the player with the ball who to pass to by very animated pointing.

He is very good at it and I think it should be recognised as a separate skill and we should add the Sissoko Point to the Cruyff Turn, Rabona, etc

I have noticed this. He has invented a new position in midfield, we can call it the Field Marshal.

"Stats are for losers".

"Just win, baby".

Two of my favourite quotes from sports.

I don't care how Sissoko gets schitt done. I only care that that we have done quite well since he's been on board. Third twice and second once. Against the odds and the East German figure skating judges in the media and our moderators ivory tower, we're running top four currently in what has been a most difficult season.

Clearly, his team mates and coaches all appreciate what he is doing. Let's cut this schitt and support one of our players properly.

Not at all. You have literally redefined "fine" and "7/10" just to make allowances for him.

And no, I really dont want to do this whole dance again. Point being, simply, its pretty poor taste to try and take a couple of decent performances as justification for two seasons of over reactive defence of him.

As I said - those who have complained, and now are saying "He did well" (or whatever) have always maintained an objectivity lacking elsewhere.
And then there were those of us who were saying that he is not a brick footballer, but that he just hasn't shown his potential yet. We got summarily shouted down. Did you factor that into your analysis?

This board is far too small to spread sentiment about anything. It’s a collection of obscure private jokes about badgers and custard; mainstream Spurs fandom won’t be infected by its oddities. Further, you could take everyone who posts on here and on TFC and on SC and COYS and whatever other sites are still limping along, and you could fit us into a single block of Wembley. With our wives and children. Even acting in concert, even with the wittiest chant imaginable, even with valid opinions about formations, or in any equally implausible circumstance, message board sentiment is irrelevant.
These message boards are a reflection of the fanbase. Yes the few people across the boards are not going to affect the sentiment, but they are the representation of the sentiment. For every board person having a dig at one of our players, there are hundreds who feel the same way.

These message boards are a reflection of the fanbase. Yes the few people across the boards are not going to affect the sentiment, but they are the representation of the sentiment. For every board person having a dig at one of our players, there are hundreds who feel the same way.
Does this only apply to Forest because a lot of our players get criticised on here but they don't recieve anything like the reaction by some on here wading in to defend them.

Does this only apply to Forest because a lot of our players get criticised on here but they don't recieve anything like the reaction by some on here wading in to defend them.
Nonsense, Yes they do. There are favourites for example Dier and Lamela who when criticised are defended vehemently and their criticism is no where near as personal or nasty. I mean have they had their thread name changed just so you can take the tinkle? Any player who wears the white shirt should be supported. Criticise yes but character assassinated no.

Repeatedly criticising our players in this instance Moussa Sissoko is normal football fan behaviour.

What a pathetic cop out. I'm a football fan and I don't repeatedly criticise players regardless of the information in front of me.

If a player performs well I will acknowledge it, equally if they perform below required standards I'll point it out.

But to repeatedly chastise a player regardless of output, well it speaks to a larger issue lurking that I've raised previously.

What a pathetic cop out. I'm a football fan and I don't repeatedly criticise players regardless of the information in front of me.

If a player performs well I will acknowledge it, equally if they perform below required standards I'll point it out.

But to repeatedly chastise a player regardless of output, well it speaks to a larger issue lurking that I've raised previously.

But you have an opened mind, some truly do not and never will.
So to some extent it is pointless to even try and change it.
Best to leave them be, bless’um

PS You are not a typical football fan, because you have the capacity to change your mind.

Last edited:
Nonsense, Yes they do. There are favourites for example Dier and Lamela who when criticised are defended vehemently and their criticism is no where near as personal or nasty. I mean have they had their thread name changed just so you can take the tinkle? Any player who wears the white shirt should be supported. Criticise yes but character assassinated no.
I think that just proves my point, had I posted that in any other player thread it would not have got that reaction.

I can't remember anyone attacking or being nasty about Sissoko as a person on here, it's always been about skill level in relation to the squad mean. If you want nasty and personal insults go and read what some posters have said about Aurier, Lamela, Loris, Rose, etc, there is a lot in those threads.

And then there were those of us who were saying that he is not a brick footballer, but that he just hasn't shown his potential yet. We got summarily shouted down. Did you factor that into your analysis?

Yes. He is doing as well as he ever has, and even then - hardly the realms of "untapped potential", is it? He's gone from terrible to "meh".

I'm sure even Moussa's harshest critics are happy that he's putting in some good performances now. I've been pretty savage on him when he's had sh1t games and I'm happy to sing his praises now he's doing good. You can bet your boots that Poch is delighted with him at the moment and the fans at the games are singing his name, even I can hear it on the telly! I think he got more singing for his name than any of our other players v Palace, his efforts are being appreciated and I'm sure he knows it, regardless of the title of this thread.

Please note, I'm calling it now. This geezer will become a Spurs legend. 10 years for now we'll still be chanting his name. Because, in spite of all the abuse he's had this....

In the same way that Freund is a legend? Maybe.

I wonder how long I've actually wasted my life on this board.

Dont go there mate, it wont make you (or any of us!) feel good!

That connection is one made by people who like to defend Sissoko. As a means, I suspect, to negate the criticism.

The idea being, those consistently criticising him, arent being reasonable - theres a larger agenda at play.

Speaking for myself, thats horsebrick. I work on the first principle, and dont give a second thought to the second.

Its possible I look at others from my own point of view, but IMHO most of those who have criticised him have done so genuinely, not "regardless of output" at all.

I'm sure even Moussa's harshest critics are happy that he's putting in some good performances now. I've been pretty savage on him when he's had sh1t games and I'm happy to sing his praises now he's doing good. You can bet your boots that Poch is delighted with him at the moment and the fans at the games are singing his name, even I can hear it on the telly! I think he got more singing for his name than any of our other players v Palace, his efforts are being appreciated and I'm sure he knows it, regardless of the title of this thread.

I am delighted he is putting in performances now that arent a complete liability.

If I were to critique, Id say that the praise is well OTT, IMHO - but that his performance was decent enough.

He had a couple of very Sissoko moments, played it out of play, a suicide ball - but these were minimal and nothing like as galling as usual.
He worked his socks off, as always, and I think putting Wanyama next to him was smart. As with last week where I criticised his movement, it was again poor IMO but Wanyama being there meant it wasnt exposed.
He played a few unexpectedly good passes, but in general I dont think his passing was particularly good. Partially in technique, he still underhits them so the receiver has to check their run, and he still punts them at people so they are hard to control. More so, though, he simply didnt see the right pass so many times, which was disappointing. He'll find himself in space, there is a ball into the channel on - we can attack - and he plays it back. This did become frustrating.

On the scale of general performance for our players, he was a 6.
On the special scale of Sissoko, his own personal scale that seems to be employed, clearly an 11/10.

On the special scale of Sissoko, his own personal scale that seems to be employed, clearly an 11/10.

I disagree there. I posted similar in the match thread, but if Winks had the exact same game as Sissoko had v Palace, he'd get praised to the heavens for it imo. Sissoko had a good game v Palace by any standard, not just his own. He had a positive influence on the game in attack and defence and I'd argue that the reason we didn't score more was because Lamela, Dele and Kane didn't use the ball well v Palace. Sissoko got the ball to the attacking players in good positions on plenty of occasions and spread the play well, but our attacking players simply fumbled too often.

I disagree there. I posted similar in the match thread, but if Winks had the exact same game as Sissoko had v Palace, he'd get praised to the heavens for it imo. Sissoko had a good game v Palace by any standard, not just his own. He had a positive influence on the game in attack and defence and I'd argue that the reason we didn't score more was because Lamela, Dele and Kane didn't use the ball well v Palace. Sissoko got the ball to the attacking players in good positions on plenty of occasions and spread the play well, but our attacking players simply fumbled too often.

Well, opinions and that. Had Winks played the same game, 6 again for me. And Im in love with little Winksy. And this really is my point througout, I havent given Sissoko special attention, just an honest appraisal.

As I said, I recognise he played some good passes, but all to often - for me - he missed the right pass and it set us back. In him checking back and playing to people behind him, by the time we do get the ball forward Palace are set defensively and we are banging our heads against the wall.

Scaras diagram kind of shows this too - though I appreciate things like that are open to interpretation.

Funnily enough, its exactly this which Winks does so well. Plays the ball forward, fast. 90% of the time its the simple, obvious pass, but he does it - Sissoko just didnt see them IMO.

Nayim, Sissoko is one of the few subjects I disagree with you on. FWIW, those who defend Sissoko have only ever said he is a decent enough squad player nothing more. Whereas those who constantly slate him have said he's complete brick which is/was completely over the top. Noone defending him has been to the other end of the spectrum claiming he is amazing, simply that he does his job as a squad player - and a hard working one at that....

Last edited:
I am delighted he is putting in performances now that arent a complete liability.

If I were to critique, Id say that the praise is well OTT, IMHO - but that his performance was decent enough.

He had a couple of very Sissoko moments, played it out of play, a suicide ball - but these were minimal and nothing like as galling as usual.
He worked his socks off, as always, and I think putting Wanyama next to him was smart. As with last week where I criticised his movement, it was again poor IMO but Wanyama being there meant it wasnt exposed.
He played a few unexpectedly good passes, but in general I dont think his passing was particularly good. Partially in technique, he still underhits them so the receiver has to check their run, and he still punts them at people so they are hard to control. More so, though, he simply didnt see the right pass so many times, which was disappointing. He'll find himself in space, there is a ball into the channel on - we can attack - and he plays it back. This did become frustrating.

This is as accurate a description of Sissoko as I've seen on this forum.

On a good day, he "not a complete liability." Still does stuff that I find it hard to believe someone employed as a footballer can do, still doesn't progress our chances of scoring, etc. But he does work hard and he does try, which is why I'll never make the insults about him personally (only his ability) and why comparisons to Forrest Gump (a genuinely decent person who can run fast and not much else) are so accurate.

On a good day, he's a Championship level footballer - considering Wanyama's form and the quality of our opposition, he didn't look completely out of place on Saturday. Might not against the likes of Fulham or the early cup rounds either. The gap between him and PL level footballers is startling though.

Back