• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mousa Dembele

Re: Official - Mousa Dembele

I actually think Azza will play with Lamela and Eriksen, at least on Saturday. Have shown a lot more in pre season than I've ever seen from him, thinks he deserves a chance to prove himself.
True. Lennon has done well pre-season, I watched train and play in Toronto, he seemed to understand POCH's instruction and carry it out, more naturally than most.
I think he might thrive as long as he is positive same as Dembele. I was not impressed with Holtby's discipline or lack of in the left holding midfield role.

All he needs is to be coached properly. Do what you do but pass the ball quickly.

All he needs is to be coached properly. Do what you do but pass the ball quickly.

He's 27, not 17.

And I don't think creativity and vision are things that can especially be coached.

Though maybe Poch could fill his boots with lead, so he learns to stop dribbling and starting using the ball.

He's 27, not 17.

And I don't think creativity and vision are things that can especially be coached.

Though maybe Poch could fill his boots with lead, so he learns to stop dribbling and starting using the ball.

You can be coached att any age. If he is given the correct instructions then he will be a better player.

You can be coached att any age. If he is given the correct instructions then he will be a better player.

It's absolutely not as simple as that in any way. There are so many variables that come into play that make it difficult.

i think all the players will be given more specific roles and tasks under poch than under AVB or sherwood.

the playbook will be drilled in on the training ground. that means that the players will not be individually carrying the burden of creating the initiative, but it will be a shared responsibility by all, as put together by poch.

dembele has excellen first touch and control, poch may just find a way to use him effectively.

i think all the players will be given more specific roles and tasks under poch than under AVB or sherwood.

the playbook will be drilled in on the training ground. that means that the players will not be individually carrying the burden of creating the initiative, but it will be a shared responsibility by all, as put together by poch.

dembele has excellen first touch and control, poch may just find a way to use him effectively.

It's a shame he can't shoot, otherwise he might make a decent CF. The way he holds onto the ball is almost Berbatov-esque. I wonder if he could become a sort of Dirk Kuyt-style non-scoring forward?

It's a shame he can't shoot, otherwise he might make a decent CF. The way he holds onto the ball is almost Berbatov-esque. I wonder if he could become a sort of Dirk Kuyt-style non-scoring forward?
I think that we are already well stocked with those [emoji3]

It's absolutely not as simple as that in any way. There are so many variables that come into play that make it difficult.
How is it? Football is a simple game and these players are getting paid **** loads of money. All Dembele needs to do is release the ball quickly and his game picks up alot.

How is it? Football is a simple game and these players are getting paid **** loads of money. All Dembele needs to do is release the ball quickly and his game picks up alot.
I don't think that it is a simple game at the top level. I don't think that a player can become a proficient passer late in their career if it has not been a strength before.

I'm not sure he has a place in the centre of the park, however I do think he could be worked into one of those three midfielders behind the striker, especially in games where we may need a more defensive player.

This .

I don't think that it is a simple game at the top level. I don't think that a player can become a proficient passer late in their career if it has not been a strength before.

Every top pro is more than proficient in their passing and shooting. There is almost nothing more that can be taught to pros on that front. It is not the technique that is the problem really for Dembele but it's more to do with when he chooses to pass/shoot or not, and that certainly can be changed with coaching.

The short 1-2 touch passing style Poch is trying to employ is not that hard technically as the pass more often only goes 10 yards or less. In preseason you can see we are working very hard on moving the ball quickly and giving the player on the ball options. The lack of movement from our players under the previous two managerial incumbents was shocking but Poch looks to be changing this thankfully if preseason is anything to go by.

There is nothing wrong with Dembele's passing technique nor shooting really IMO, it is the decision he makes when he breaks past a player that he seems to get wrong. He's losing the advantage he has just gained by beating a player through indecision. I wouldn't mind if he tried a few speculative passes or shoots every now and then. Anyway if Poch can get him to move the ball on a bit quicker when he beats his man, which he can do almost at will, then we'll have a different player on our hands this season.

Every top pro is more than proficient in their passing and shooting. There is almost nothing more that can be taught to pros on that front. It is not the technique that is the problem really for Dembele but it's more to do with when he chooses to pass/shoot or not, and that certainly can be changed with coaching.

The short 1-2 touch passing style Poch is trying to employ is not that hard technically as the pass more often only goes 10 yards or less. In preseason you can see we are working very hard on moving the ball quickly and giving the player on the ball options. The lack of movement from our players under the previous two managerial incumbents was shocking but Poch looks to be changing this thankfully if preseason is anything to go by.

There is nothing wrong with Dembele's passing technique nor shooting really IMO, it is the decision he makes when he breaks past a player that he seems to get wrong. He's losing the advantage he has just gained by beating a player through indecision. I wouldn't mind if he tried a few speculative passes or shoots every now and then. Anyway if Poch can get him to move the ball on a bit quicker when he beats his man, which he can do almost at will, then we'll have a different player on our hands this season.
This!

I agree to a point. Dembele's natural instinct is always going to be to shield the ball or to break forward with it. At this stage in his career, I think it is too much to expect him to become a player who receives the ball and lays it off quickly, no matter who is coaching him. I agree that we could probably get him to improve his break and then pass though.

I agree to a point. Dembele's natural instinct is always going to be to shield the ball or to break forward with it. At this stage in his career, I think it is too much to expect him to become a player who receives the ball and lays it off quickly, no matter who is coaching him. I agree that we could probably get him to improve his break and then pass though.

Yep I agree that it sometimes is hard to teach an old dog new tricks, but I think if you look at vids of Dembele's early career it is not something he had a problem with before. The play it safe option is something that has crept into his game at Spurs really. Even at Fulham he was a more dynamic player. Poch just needs to get him back to that mindset. It can be done but who knows if it will be.

Yep I agree that it sometimes is hard to teach an old dog new tricks, but I think if you look at vids of Dembele's early career it is not something he had a problem with before. The play it safe option is something that has crept into his game at Spurs really. Even at Fulham he was a more dynamic player. Poch just needs to get him back to that mindset. It can be done but who knows if it will be.
Earlier in his career he was playing further forwards. The position he is in now is closed down quicker and there are less players to cover your mistakes.

No one is asking him to become a Modric type play maker, i think what people want is for him to release the ball once he has taken on his man rather than holding onto it for to long. If he cannot adapt to that then he shouldn't be playing football.

No one is asking him to become a Modric type play maker, i think what people want is for him to release the ball once he has taken on his man rather than holding onto it for to long. If he cannot adapt to that then he shouldn't be playing football.
Of course he should be playing football. He is very good at what he does, even if he is not quite at the level he was a couple of years ago. The question is, is he what we need and how does he affect the balance of the team.

I could see us retaining him and selling Sandro. Dembele and Capoue fighting for one place and MS and Bentaleb the other.

May be worth looking at how Lambert was coached by Pochetinno to play in a new way at the age of 30. I am sure Dembele can be the same. He has the ability to do what we want but needs some coaching from someone who sees his potential. I am convinced we have the man to get the best out of him.

It's not about him releasing the ball quickly. If you told any professional footballer to go on the pitch and take no more than 2 touches and release the ball as soon as they get it, any player in the premiership could do so. It's about him releasing the ball at the right moments. These 'right' moments have to be realised and defined by him, in his own head. Teaching him to realise when these moments are is the difficult bit, because generally, if a player cannot see them, they just can't see them. If he was a 17 year old who's still impressionable and improving day in day out then maybe (again, just maybe) could you coach something like that into them.

Back